Help: Damaged ER4P
May 23, 2012 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
I am having a problem with my Etymotic: one driver (the right one) sounds at much much lower volume than the other one. What should I do (other than sending them back for warranty)? I have now removed the filter on the right driver completely, so to rule out that possibility, but it's still sounding super-low... I really don't know what I should do....

Thanks for helping
Tony

May 23, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 9
The driver is probably drying. Just send them back and Etymotic will replace the faulty side.

May 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 9
Could be a loose solder joint on the driver that is only transmitting a portion of the voltage. Does it get louder or quieter *at all* if you tap the housing or jiggle the wire going into it around?

May 23, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Hey Clieos,

what do you mean by saying that the driver is probably drying?
Anyawy, I believe my best chance will be indeed to send them back to Etymotic.
Chance are that I'll have to pay full price for them: they are within the two years, but I don't have the proof of purchase anymore, which seems they are requesting.

Thanks for all the answers.

May 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Anyway, if anyone had a replacement driver, that would be even quicker since it wouldn't involve shipping overseas and back.

May 23, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Hey Clieos,

what do you mean by saying that the driver is probably drying?
Anyawy, I believe my best chance will be indeed to send them back to Etymotic.
Chance are that I'll have to pay full price for them: they are within the two years, but I don't have the proof of purchase anymore, which seems they are requesting.

Thanks for all the answers.

When BA driver is dying, it can show symptom of volume reducing before it goes completely out.

Oh, just to rule out faulty cable, you should swap side since it doesn't matter which earpieces are on which side. Also, you should email Etymotic and ask them first before deciding to send the IEM or not. They keep all the serial number of the driver in record so maybe they can fix it for free, which will worth your while.

May 24, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 9
For anyone interested: replacing the Etys in my personal case (broken cable, one broken earpiece) would cost 130$ + shipping. It would be still worthwile if they said that I don't have to send mine back.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
It would be still worthwile if they said that I don't have to send mine back.

Not sure I understand this sentence...

Could you explain?

Thanks, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back