HELP! --- DAC/AMP for HFI-780? - uDAC2 vs iBasso?
Jan 8, 2011 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

juanderful

New Head-Fier
So I just put in my order for a new set of HFI-780, and I'm hoping to get the most out of these set of cans on my laptop. I've heard that even though the 780's can run fine without a dedicated amp, they will really shine if paired with one.

Do any of you know if a dedicated dac/amp is necessary, and will it make a big difference?

If yes, then which USB-powered DAC/AMP-in-one combo would be good? I've narrowed it down to these, but suggestions are welcome:

1) Nuforce Icon uDAC-2-HP
2) iBasso D12/D2/D4 (differences between these models?)

My criteria:

1) Simple as possible. I like how the uDAC-2-HP has only a USB connection to power it, and a 3.5mm jack for the headphones. Simple, no frills, and does its job. I don't need the DAC/AMP to be battery-powered, as I won't be carrying it around with a PMP (ipod).

2) Sound quality, of course.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 2
well, yes for sure

especially the static of the builtin sound board is usually huge, which can be quite irritating

and for laptop, it cant possibly drive a headphone well.

Nuforce is the simpliest, you plug it in, turn it on, whola
it is also the smallest as well.

D12, is probably the best above all your option, but is also the most expensive one.
you got dual chip on DAC, you got optical, coaxial as well, and can use it as standalone dac or amp,
but the size can be a problem
have a look on the ibasso website, the difference can easily spot on d2, d4, d12

in fact, it's different grade you are talking about,
uDAC-2 ~ D2 < D4 < D12

well, i would say, ibasso got pretty good CP value.
and if money is not your concern and using it at home, D12 would probably the best option above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back