Help choosing my first "decent" over ear headphones?
Sep 13, 2014 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Letchy

New Head-Fier
I've been using my Sennheiser HD201s and a pair of gaming (Creative Fatal1ty) headphones to listen to music for a long time now. I want to upgrade, I guess you could say.

Usually I listen to a variety of genres, though I mainly listen to music which can be rather bass heavy - the type of music I generally listen to fit into the electronic category of music (house, drum and bass, dubstep (sub genres if you care to count them) etc). I'm not quite sure if there is a headphone which could balance a nice crisp bass sound whilst keeping the mids and highs (I think I am using the terms correctly haha) sounding great too, though I am by no means very savvy when it comes to audio if I am honest - not quite an audiophile!

I'd say I would be willing to pay between £50 - £150 at the most, if that is at all possible to work with.

I have looked at the following pairs of headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (and the M50X variant), AKG K550 and the Beyerdynamic DT770.

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me, it is greatly appreciated!

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 10
Those are all three good headphones. K550 has a more neutral bass response. M50 a bit more bass impact. DT770 will have the most.

Some DT770 models are higher impedance and may need an amp to drive them.

What source devices (make/model) are you planning on using your headphones with?

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 10
Those are all three good headphones. K550 has a more neutral bass response. M50 a bit more bass impact. DT770 will have the most.

Some DT770 models are higher impedance and may need an amp to drive them.

What source devices (make/model) are you planning on using your headphones with?

Thank you.

I'll be using the headphones with my PC (no soundcard, Realtek HD Audio) and my mobile phone - which is currently a Galaxy S3 Mini. Nothing fancy.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 10
  Thank you.

I'll be using the headphones with my PC (no soundcard, Realtek HD Audio) and my mobile phone - which is currently a Galaxy S3 Mini. Nothing fancy.

If you require portable usage, I would consider the K545 instead of the K550 (as these are too large & non-removable 3m cable makes them unpractical to use on the go).

My recommendations would be the ATH-M50 or K545 for portable closed headphones in your price range of sub-$250. There are other options out there as well, but I think those two probably are among the top performers in their price brackets.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 10
  If you require portable usage, I would consider the K545 instead of the K550 (as these are too large & non-removable 3m cable makes them unpractical to use on the go).

My recommendations would be the ATH-M50 or K545 for portable closed headphones in your price range of sub-$250. There are other options out there as well, but I think those two probably are among the top performers in their price brackets.

I do not require portable usage, these headphones would be solely used whilst at home. Though, thank you for your recommendations!

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 10
If you want to get the DT770, then you definitely would want to go with a lower impedance model. If you went with the 250 ohm model, you would need a headphone amp to use them with your phone and PC.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 10
  I do no require portable usage, these headphones would be solely used whilst at home. Though, thank you for your recommendations!

Do you need noise isolation?

If not, for home-use only, I would go into open full-sized. There is a TON of options at the sub-$250 price range. AKG K612 pro, sennheiser hd598... etc...

why are you using your mobile phone as a source if you are just chilling at home??? use your computer!!!

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 10
Sometimes it's nice to listen to one's headphones in other rooms of one's house
smily_headphones1.gif

You don't just have a music listening room??? 
eek.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 10
I don't have a music listening room!
beyersmile.png

The Sennheiser HD 598s look very nice, I am definitely considering them! As do the AKG K612 Pro, it's going to be a difficult choice. Oh, and the Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones I were looking at were the 80 ohm version, if that's fine to use without an external amp.

Thanks again for helping me guys, you've been great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back