help choosing (closed cans)
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

benandjerry

New Head-Fier
Looking for a decent pair, not of the bottom segment, but relatively low end of the good ones. Dont really have a set budget. Have done some research, and the 2 front runners at the moment are:

audio technica ath-m50
shure srh840

Its quite important to me that they're relatively easy driven, which is a good reason for the above choices along with them being good headphones in relation to their competition in that price range. Will be used without amp with portable audio, and laptop (and maybe desktop). Listen to a lot of different music (not much too bass heavy hiphop, rap, trace, dance etc stuff though), but maybe most different rock genres. Will also probably be used to watch movies, sports, and some casual gaming.

Besides the above I value comfortability, and to some extent durability. Looks is not all that important (read the shure's dont look all that hot).

From what I understand the m50 appears to be a bit more "fun" with a little bit more bass compared to the shure's that are more neutral but still not too dull?

Any opinion about the above, as well as other recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also considered the DT770 but they seem to require a little more juice.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 9
 Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, or SoundMAGIC HP100 (easily beats COP with amp imo, but you said you don't have one).

Didn't see the portable part, so cross off COP.  I guess you could use the UE 6000, 840, or the M50.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Looking for a decent pair, not of the bottom segment, but relatively low end of the good ones. Dont really have a set budget. Have done some research, and the 2 front runners at the moment are:

audio technica ath-m50
shure srh840

Its quite important to me that they're relatively easy driven, which is a good reason for the above choices along with them being good headphones in relation to their competition in that price range. Will be used without amp with portable audio, and laptop (and maybe desktop). Listen to a lot of different music (not much too bass heavy hiphop, rap, trace, dance etc stuff though), but maybe most different rock genres. Will also probably be used to watch movies, sports, and some casual gaming.

Besides the above I value comfortability, and to some extent durability. Looks is not all that important (read the shure's dont look all that hot).

From what I understand the m50 appears to be a bit more "fun" with a little bit more bass compared to the shure's that are more neutral but still not too dull?

Any opinion about the above, as well as other recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also considered the DT770 but they seem to require a little more juice.

Heya,

Beyer DT770 LE 32ohm
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750

Very best,

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the input guys!

The best price I could find (located in EU) for the A900X was nearly double of the M50, are they really that much better (especially considering my pretty poor audio sources)?

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 9
I would choose the 840 over the M50. More balanced across the spectrum. Read up on the UE6000s as well. I'd also consider the KRK KNS 8400. The KRKs have amazing detail but have less bass than the aformentioned cans. They place more emphasis on mids and highs - some have complained that they are too bright but I found them to sound fine to my ears. They're pretty comfortable as well. If you want another great pair of cans in the price range that are more portable check out the V-MODA M-80. Smooth and musical.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 9
If you don't want to spend that much money Sony MDR-V6.  For a bit more AKG K172, ultrasone HFI 780.  For something a bit more balanced Beyer DT880 32ohm.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks you guys! Have had a quick look at the ones suggested besides the ones I were considering in my OP. The ones that really caught my eye was the Soundmagic HP100. Only places I've seen them within Europe are iheadphones.co.uk (£160 out of stock), and hifiheadphones.co.uk (£170 in stock). Are these 2 stores reputable? Are there other good resellers that carry these within Europe? Any more opinions on these headphones are very welcome as well. :) Also, assume they do alright unamped given their low impedance?

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Thanks you guys! Have had a quick look at the ones suggested besides the ones I were considering in my OP. The ones that really caught my eye was the Soundmagic HP100. Only places I've seen them within Europe are iheadphones.co.uk (£160 out of stock), and hifiheadphones.co.uk (£170 in stock). Are these 2 stores reputable? Are there other good resellers that carry these within Europe? Any more opinions on these headphones are very welcome as well. :) Also, assume they do alright unamped given their low impedance?

http://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.hifiheadphones.co.uk

These reviews say that the website is legit, but I've never purchased anything from them.  Good choice with the HP100 BTW, it is probably the best closed back headphone in the price range.

They sound very good unamped, but like most headphones in this price range, they will benefit from a good amp (they need a lot less juice than something like the DT770, though). So you might want to think about purchasing an amp somewhere down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back