Help Choosing Bass Quality Headphones
Jun 16, 2011 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

roket52

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here at Headfi but have been reading these forums for a few months now. So glad there is a site like this one out there.
What Iam looking for a set of quality headphones with excellent bass response, crisp and clean sound and a dynamic sound stage. My biggest priority is awesome bass response, I currently enjoy the 15in sub I have in my home stereo setup and I want a pair of headphones that equally deliver a broad sub bass experience. As for my music tastes I enjoy metal, alternative, dubstep and smooth instrumental. Im looking to spend a max of about $250.. I origionally had my heart set on the ATH-M50's but have recently read that the newer versions dont quite have the same bass response as the older ones and they are much more mild in comparison. Could you please help me with some other headphones or recommendations that you think may suit my needs? Not too fased if they are open or closed.. Thanx
popcorn.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 14
Look at a pair of Ultrasone's or Denon AH-D2000's. Haven't heard the Denon's myself but they're supposed to have a similar sound signature to Ultrasone's, which I love.

If you have an amp I'd recommend the Ultrasone Pro 750 or Pro 900. If you don't have an amp, the Pro 550 or HFI-580. Some people say the 750 and 900 don't need an amp, but imo the bass is too muddy without one.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanx mate yeah forgot to mention that I dont have an amp and prob wont want to use one just because it will be an extra thing ill have to carry around and plug in. I be using the headphones whilst connected to ipod and on the go (around the house in the shed). Have heard good reports about the Denon 2000 but will have to research more what they are like without the amp will check out Ultrasone as well

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 14
Definitely go for the D2000, you won't be disappointed. I used them for a very long time unamped and loved them. If you're willing to spend more though, the E9/E7 is an excellent amp/dac for the price and suits them well.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 14
If they're for portable use, I would probably go with the Pro 550's or HFI-580's. Those don't benefit as much from an amp as the D2000's (from what I've read), and they're not as big-looking on the head. The Ultrasone's also isolate more and leak less compared to the Denon's. The Pro 550's sound great un-amped.

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 14
Typical suggestions for bass-heavy cans are:

1. Audio-Technica Pro700MK2
  2. Any Sony XB (500, 700, 1000)
  3. Any ultrasone (pro 550, 750, Hfi 580, 780, DJ1)
  4. Denon D2000 (finding one for $250 is possible if you look hard enough)

The first two are more for electronic, but since you like metal as well I would suggest the Denons or Ultrasones. Ultrasones have  a very V shaped frequency response - that is big bass, lots of treble, and recessed mids. The 500 series/DJ1 have a more mild V than 700 series, but the sound is more detailed on the 700 series. The 700 series respond well to amping and modding (search "Kees mod"). Denon frequency response is flatter and the highs aren't as bright, but they still have slightly recessed mids.

I personally own the Ultrasone Hfi-580 and love it - it isn't the most technically capable headphone around but sounds great straight out of an ipod and the big, boomy lows and aggressive sound make them a heck of a lot of fun to listen to.

Is there anywhere you can go to trial headphones? After all you can research all you want, but the only way to know if you like the sound of a pair of headphones is to listen to them yourself...

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 14
cheap out like me and get these $170  DT 990 pro 250ohms

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Open-Studio-Headphones-Ohms/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308041503&sr=1-8

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanx for all the replys guys much appreciated.. Unfortunatly there isnt any where in my country town (so called city) that sells any brands apart from senheiser, certainly not ultrasones or denon headphones. so ur opinions and these forums will be the basis for my decision
wink.gif
So am I right in thinking that the ATH-M50 wont satisfy my sub bass needs?

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Thanx for all the replys guys much appreciated.. Unfortunatly there isnt any where in my country town (so called city) that sells any brands apart from senheiser, certainly not ultrasones or denon headphones. so ur opinions and these forums will be the basis for my decision
wink.gif
So am I right in thinking that the ATH-M50 wont satisfy my sub bass needs?

Just buy the D2000 from Amazon, you can always return it if you don't like it. The M50 supposedly has some good bass, but likely not on the level of the D2K.

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
cheap out like me and get these $170  DT 990 pro 250ohms

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Open-Studio-Headphones-Ohms/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1308041503&sr=1-8

Don't do this if you're running your headphones out of an ipod. Unless you're going to use them with a proper amp, you'll just be severely limiting the DT990's and they won't sound close to what they should.

My vote goes to Ultrasones. If you want to use them with your ipod I'm guessing you're going to want them to be suitable for portability at some stage. Ultrasones are better for this without a doubt.

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 14
Well it seems I have narrowed down my choice to -

Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone Pro 550 or 750
AT Pro700mkII

Hmm decisions, decisions.... will have to do alot more reading to compare them. Any thoughts between these guys?
cool.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 14
Lolkay.

I don't want to repeat whatever I've said before, but sitll. Pro700 MKII compared to the HFI-580 is more like subwoofer bass vs thumping bass. Whichever suits your cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back