Help buying first pair of headphones
May 24, 2011 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mutti

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I'm looking to buy some quality headphones that will last me a while. I don't really want to spend more than $150 (no amp for now).

I have been looking around the forums a lot and while I while initially going to go for the ATH-AD700s, I realized that they were too big for what I want which something a bit more portable.

I have heard a lot of people praise the M50's thing is I think I would prefer some open cans mainly because I don't want to be sweating or having my head warm up. I know portable and open cans doesn't sound too good, but is it really that bad? I'm not really looking to be completely taken away from the outside world and into the headphones. Can someone comment on this please.

I really want something comfortable, which is why I was really leaning towards the AD700s. I will be using it to listen to talks/lectures, I do a bit of gaming and listen mainly to Reggae/Rock/Hip-Hop although I'd say music usage will be 5-10%.

I really want to hear your opinions so let me know if I'm asking for too much or point out anything you feel is important whether good or bad. -thanks

May 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Open or closed won't make any difference if you want comfort and lack of sweatiness.  An open pair of headphones can still get pretty hot and uncomfortable if it's hot outside.  If you're gonna be using them outside at all though, in public locations or on public transportation, stay away from open cans.  They leak a lot of noise in and out.

May 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 11
Okay, thanks so it looks like open is a no go then. I had a look at this review what do you think of the Senn HD25 II and 595s, the Audio Techica M50 and ESW9A?

The three main things I want are something durable, comfortable and portable. Are the M50s really that good?

Edit: Sorry for starting a new thread somehow I missed the huge "Buying headphones, seeking guidance thread"
rolleyes.gif

May 25, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 11
honestly, i would suggest getting two headphones. one for commuting, one for home. the commuting one should be closed and lightweight and smaller. the home one can be bigger and open.

i would suggest maybe a Sennheiser HD555 for home, and for commuting maybe something like the Sennheiser HD 228s.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-228.php

Obviously, there are other great brands, but the general principle is the same. Different tools for different purposes.

May 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Do you think getting those two would be better than getting the HD25 II?

Can't comment on gaming usage, but for music, I definitely prefer HD-25's

May 26, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Was gonna buy the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs from someone here for $150, but someone else beat me to them so in the end I got the Denon AH-D1100s for roughly the same price from Amazon. Condition was Used-Like New, 30 days to return if I don't like them.

I might well take a trip to Guitar Center one of these days to see how they compare to other cans.

I'll post again once I get them in a week ...or more, apparently they require quite a bit of burn-in.

I'll also do some research on portable amps, as it will be unamped for the mean time, but I read that these cans benefit a quite a bit from an amp.

I am still a huge noob to all this
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
honestly, i would suggest getting two headphones. one for commuting, one for home. the commuting one should be closed and lightweight and smaller. the home one can be bigger and open.

i would suggest maybe a Sennheiser HD555 for home, and for commuting maybe something like the Sennheiser HD 228s.

http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-228.php

Obviously, there are other great brands, but the general principle is the same. Different tools for different purposes.

I actually am considering similar headphones. With the HD 650 for home and the HD 25-1IIs for portable use.

May 28, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 11
For me the biggest problem with open headphones outside is not neceserily that I can hear what is going around me. I can just turn the volume up for that. The thing is that people around will hear what you listen to. This might not be a problem for some but I for one think that makes you look like a douche. And if you ever been on the recieving end you'll understand why.

As for suggestions, I wear XD-53 Allen & Heath Dj headphones and like them. They are durable as hell for one thing and sound good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back