Help a noob out
Feb 15, 2011 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zubyc

New Head-Fier
First off let's start with what I'm going to use the headphones for...I mainly am going to use the headphones for gaming on an Xbox 360 along with watching television/movies. Music is not as much of a priority but I'm sure I will use the headphones occasionally on my iPhone. I do value sound quality quite a bit and enjoy some bass but don't need an overwhelming amount. That's what my truck is setup for :)

I've been doing a lot of searching lately and it seems it's better to go with some regular headphones as apposed to a gaming headset. I've been try to narrow it down but I can't really decide. My price range is >$200. So far the headphones that seem to fit my needs are:
Sennheiser 595
Sennheiser 598
AT 700 (I read that they offer a great soundstage but are very light on bass)

I plan on purchasing Astro mixamp 5.8 because I like the wireless capabilities.
Also, I have a pair of Sony MDR-700 that are in great shape except for the headphone jack. They haven't been used in over a year.

Now here are all my questions:
Is the Astro 5.8 mixamp my best option for a wireless setup >$150?
Is the mixamp considered a decent amp or are you mainly paying for wireless functionality?
Of the 3 headphones I listed, which would you suggest? Why?
Any other sub $200 headphones I should I consider?
I do understand that open air headphones leak and it varies on manufacturer but how bad are the 3 I mentioned? I play xbox with my girlfriend sleeping in the same room so I don't want phones that leak a lot.
Say I just purchase the mixamp and fix my Sonys...are the new headphones I purchase going to blow them out of the water?

I know I'm at more of an entry level price point but this is a big purchase for me so I want to get the most bang for my buck.
Thanks in advance

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 7
They're ATH-AD700s or AD700s not AT700s.
You should get them. Trust me when playing black ops, you don't need bass

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Well from my understanding of the AD700's is that they are very light on bass. Is that true? I know you don't need it for gaming but I'm not the type looking for every edge. I still want some bass when it's supposed to be there.

Do the AD900 have better bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back