Help a Noob Find a Good Set of Headphones
Nov 17, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
Hmm I think the M50s look pretty nice. But looks are subjective :p 

x2

I personally like the way M50s look.  I think Audio Technica in general has a great sense of style about a lot of their headphones.  Then again, I wouldn't mind how ugly the headphones were as long as they sounded great.

Also, I'm agreeing with you on too many points tonight, hudamanium 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm I think the M50s look pretty nice. But looks are subjective :p 

x2

I personally like the way M50s look.  I think Audio Technica in general has a great sense of style about a lot of their headphones.  Then again, I wouldn't mind how ugly the headphones were as long as they sounded great.

Also, I'm agreeing with you on too many points tonight, hudamanium 
tongue_smile.gif

Haha Thanks :p. I've only begun to be active pretty recently on Head-Fi. Seems to be a great community overall. Its also fun to read around on headphones and what not especially since I've used quite a few of them. 

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Uhh, the Lowriders are freaking horrible. I bought them for my gf, and they were the one of the worst headphones I've ever heard. Just...terrible.

I'd say you haven't heard many headphones then...

Check out what this guy has to say about them. Now, I don't know if I'd go that far but they don't sound bad at all.

Me thinks this is a case of psychoacoustics at work.

EDIT: Sitting here listening to Corinne Bailey Rae on the Lowrider's right now trying to figure what makes them so gawdaweful terrible.

They are a bit bright (this recording is bright though) but they are nicely extended, mids are clear... they don't have a ton of bass but then again at least it's not muddying up the mids like so many phones do.

You ever heard Sentry? Califone? Any vintage phone with cone drivers?

I'd suggest you stay far, FAR away from the above as all are worse than the Lowrider's. There's many more too that I can't think of right now. So, like I said, you either haven't heard many phones or you've been lucky enough to hear only very good ones.

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 31
So i'm hearing a lot of ES7 and M50. I've never tried either of them, and none of my friends own any, but you guys seem to think they're great. 
They both look great, although the M50s are 200 bucks on the Audio-Technica site. If I could find them for cheaper, I would totally buy them. Also, audiocubes says the ES7s are 170 bucks, but I'm pretty sure I saw them somewhere for like 80.
Comfort is a big issue since I wear my headphones sometimes for 1-2 hours. I also heard that the ES7s are really bad on the comfort level, but I'd like to know what you guys think. And same for M50s. 

Let me know where you buy headphones, because I really want to buy some cheap M50s. Thanks :D

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 31
The M50s would outclass the ES7s on sound quality, but the ES7s are cheaper, even more portable, and easier to drive.  They sound terrific out of an iPod, and respond well to even inexpensive amplification, like the AirHead.

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
So i'm hearing a lot of ES7 and M50. I've never tried either of them, and none of my friends own any, but you guys seem to think they're great. 
They both look great, although the M50s are 200 bucks on the Audio-Technica site. If I could find them for cheaper, I would totally buy them. Also, audiocubes says the ES7s are 170 bucks, but I'm pretty sure I saw them somewhere for like 80.
Comfort is a big issue since I wear my headphones sometimes for 1-2 hours. I also heard that the ES7s are really bad on the comfort level, but I'd like to know what you guys think. And same for M50s. 

Let me know where you buy headphones, because I really want to buy some cheap M50s. Thanks :D

Amazon.com $100-110

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #25 of 31
Nov 17, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 31

Quote:

[size=medium]
I went through that thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-57-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-m50-added-11-12

The ES7s didn't get as good of a review as I expected, so I don't know how I feel about them yet. However, I found some new contenders:

-CAL!
-AKG K81DJ
-Beyerdynamic DT235
-Koss Pro DJ100
-Ultrasone HFI-450
-Yamaha RH10MS
-JVC HA-M750
-M50
-JVC HA-S700

Let me know your opinions on these. Thanks :D
[/size]

I'm going to be sticking with the M50 on this one.  It's fairly common and I don't care for it as a portable (and I also hate coiled cords) but it's a very solid headphone for the price.  As far as I can recall, those Yamahas are just rebadged Ultrasones so there it'd be more about price and the slight difference in looks.  I like my Ultrasone but I find the M50's response to be more flat.  If you can you should try to pop into a music/electronics store that has a few of these and check them out in person.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #27 of 31
i hate how best buy only has skullcandy, bose, and beats demos. I can't find a store with any other demo sets. I bought Sony XB-500s from best buy as a placeholder since i don't have any headphones currently. Since best buy has a 30 day return policy, I was going to use them until I found a better set ( ie M50s ) but I really like these. What do you guys think? I mite just keep these since they were 80 bucks and sound pretty damn good. Then again, I have nothing to compare them too haha

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #28 of 31
If you truely like them, they aren't considered horrible headphones. Decent for the price. There certainly are better ones around the same price plus a little more, but you aren't being ripped off in the cases of bose, beats, or skullcandies.

I would return them and buy them off http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2
save an extra 25% from $80

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #29 of 31

Quote:
i hate how best buy only has skullcandy, bose, and beats demos. I can't find a store with any other demo sets. I bought Sony XB-500s from best buy as a placeholder since i don't have any headphones currently. Since best buy has a 30 day return policy, I was going to use them until I found a better set ( ie M50s ) but I really like these. What do you guys think? I mite just keep these since they were 80 bucks and sound pretty damn good. Then again, I have nothing to compare them too haha

The Auvio 33-279 "Concert Class" phones sound better once you remove the felt off the grill. I owned them both at the same time and they sounded similar but the Auvio's had slightly tighter bass and were much more clear sounding. They're better, they also have a return policy and they only cost $50. Needless to say I took the Sony's back.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #30 of 31
wow thats soo much better than best buy. I really enjoy these so I think I mite stick with them. I'm definately going to switch them for the amazon ones though. thanks so much :D

Quote:
If you truely like them, they aren't considered horrible headphones. Decent for the price. There certainly are better ones around the same price plus a little more, but you aren't being ripped off in the cases of bose, beats, or skullcandies.

I would return them and buy them off http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2
save an extra 25% from $80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back