Help a newbie please? Headirect RE-0 vs Sennheiser IE-6 vs Thinksound Rain
Aug 21, 2010 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

RokBoks

100+ Head-Fier
Alright first post so be easy on me I've been lurking around head-fi for a while and finally decided to sign up and ask for help so here's my question (and if i posted this in the wrong section please re direct me) :

which would be a better buy the RE-0's, Senn's IE-6 or the Thinksound's?

I'm deciding to upgrade my cheap-o earbuds since i finally made some cash and i spotted some IE-6's refurbished for about $50 my music tastes include everything but heavily focus on rock (classic to metal) and rap/hip-hop i dont know if the thinksound's are worth mentioning but i'm trying to cover all my bases so any help is much appreciated! (0h almost forgot my budget is about $80 and would be running them out of a rockboxed sansa fuze no amp)

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 23
The head direct RE0 would fit the bill if you want rock. They also have an average amount of bass (you can EQ it up) so hip-hop isn't an issue, at least with me. The other 2 might be too warm and relaxed. The RE0s are very neutral and detailed with a touch of warmth and I love it.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 23
IMO, the Rain will be much more fun and engaging to listen to for active music (most of what you described).  Yes, RE0 is detailed and clean, but it can sound too anesceptic, too polite for loud and gritty rock.  The Rain needs to have the 2 front ports under the nozzle blocked to reduce the way-too-airy stock sound.

Also, look at the Etymotic MC5 with 2 year warranty for $70 right now at Amazon & J&R.

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 23
RE0
Everyone should try an RE0 once in their life.
ksc75smile.gif

If you get the bass boosted they can extend really low. Also i find adding +1 EQ across the board takes them away from being a bit analytical and a bit more fun (some audiophiles may cringe at that, but it works for me).

RAIN
Thinksound Rains are fun sounding (lush mids) and have more mid bass quantity.
If you were running with no EQ i would say get the Rain as you may find the bass of the RE0 on the light side.

this review sums them up pretty well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470357/review-hifiman-re0-vs-thinksound-rain

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 23
Thanks for all the help! Paul i just read that review last night and well it swerved me towards the re0's pretty much...still i cant help but be tempted by the $49 price tag on the Sennheiser IE-6's...(i know i know i decided to scratch them out but what can i say i'm undecisive
rolleyes.gif
) the issue i have hear is would the re0's do well out of just a fuze with no amp?

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
RokBoks said:

the issue i have hear is would the re0's do well out of just a fuze with no amp?

i tried the RE0s on a Fuze (not rockboxed) at a Headfi meet in Brisbane recently and it drove them very well.

On my Walkman they drive easily 12 / 30 volume. and in my opinion they are quite easy to drive.
My RE-ZEROs which are 16 ohm drive the same volume at 9 / 30 so there's only 3 between them and the 63 ohm RE0s.

I would think having your fuze rockboxed would be an advantage too.

If you decide on the RE0s dont forget 100 hrs burnin for the bass to come out more and the highs to tame a little.

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 23
Thanks again for all the help pauly so you would recommend the re0's over the senn's? Anyone with other phones at the price point ($50-$80) for rock i'm open for suggestions!

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Thanks again for all the help pauly so you would recommend the re0's over the senn's? Anyone with other phones at the price point ($50-$80) for rock i'm open for suggestions!

i cant say anything about the sennheisers as ive never heard them, but i do love my RE0s and RE-ZEROs.
ksc75smile.gif

Good Luck with your quest.

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 23
Look up multiple reviews of Radius DDM (HP-TWF11R, highly regarded Dual Driver earphones by a group of fellow headfiers,  often compared to top tiers IE8 among few. This are above your price range but can get am OEM version for around $110US from MusicaAcoustics.com

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 23
The RE0 is great for rock if you don't mind the less than average amount of bass.  Not sure about hip hop/rap though, I don't listen to it but whatever I've heard seemed to lack bass for the genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back