Help a brother out
Dec 21, 2010 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mmcjbrick

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I am in need of some assistance. I have recently purchased the Grado GS-1000s and am need of a Dac and and an Amp, or a Dac/Amp combo. I am pretty new to this whole audio world and am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

Dec 21, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 12
The HA160D is an awesome Dac/amp combo, but its slightly over your budget. 
Another choice, you can get the HA160 (standalone amp) for $700 and get a Dac with the remaining money. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 12
I generally recommend spending most on the DAC and getting an amp with the remainder.  Especially so for the GS-1000, along with most other Grados as they don't need much in terms of amplification - any low voltage amp will work well, as long as it can supply a decent amount of current.

One of my favorite DACs in your price range is the NorthStar m192.  Of course the Gamma2 is another great option, considerably cheaper and a great value.

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Can I ask why you went straight for the Grado model which evokes the most passion, both from those who love them and those who, er, dont ?

Dec 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 12
May I ask what you used to audition the GS1K with ? I am not being nosy for the sake of it - its just that so many of the impressions on HF are initially very negative when it comes to the GS1K - your experience would seem to be the exact opposite. Interesting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back