Help, £100 ($150) Headphones
Apr 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 23
Yamaha HPH 200 definitely. Best bang for the buck if you don't need isolation.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
Thanks sinnottj, how is the build quality as I've read some bad things, bare in mind that I take very good care of my purchases.

The cheaper Grados are pretty cheaply made, it has to be said, but the build is simple and effective and more solid than it looks. You're pretty much paying for the sound quality at this point in the Grado range, though.  You have to spend a lot more to get metal or wood cups or a real leather headband. 

The nice thing is that if you don't like the plastic cups or cheap headband you can upgrade them pretty easily. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
I m looking to sell an SR225 for 80 pounds shipped within the UK 
regular_smile .gif

Is there any chance you could you let me know when you are selling these? Thanks

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
Yep, Grados are very easy to drive and will sound good out of just about anything. I use my ms1s and my 325is straight out of an iPod and a Creative zen stone with no issues. The zen stone looks a little odd with the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter sticking out of it mind ...

My grados produce the best results out of all the headphones I've owned straight out of my sansa clip. I would actually recommend the clip over an iPod, its got a bit more bass which I think it benefits from. Furthermore you can rockbox it to play just about any file format. Its also really cheap so worth a try. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #22 of 23
+1 for the MS1. Proud owner. :)
Quote:
The cheaper Grados are pretty cheaply made, it has to be said, but the build is simple and effective and more solid than it looks. You're pretty much paying for the sound quality at this point in the Grado range, though.  You have to spend a lot more to get metal or wood cups or a real leather headband. 

The nice thing is that if you don't like the plastic cups or cheap headband you can upgrade them pretty easily. 

I've had my Ms1's for at least 2 years now, with its fair share of wear and tear, I'm still using the stock headband.

Changed the wires to a more rugged one.. Pics will be taken when i get it back. (Getting repaired for a bent jack)

But any idea where i can find cups and headbands?

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #23 of 23
+1 for the MS1. Proud owner. :)
I've had my Ms1's for at least 2 years now, with its fair share of wear and tear, I'm still using the stock headband.

Changed the wires to a more rugged one.. Pics will be taken when i get it back. (Getting repaired for a bent jack)

But any idea where i can find cups and headbands?

You can get both from either Turbulent Labs or Martin Custom Audio (http://www.martincustomaudio.com/ )

Turbulent offer ready made headbands and cups at decent prices. I have a set of the Vibro Classic cups and they're pretty good, very easy to self-install too. I think there's a waiting list for them at the moment though ....

Martin custom audio is more of a bespoke service, so likely to be more expensive. Some of the cups they've done in the past look amazing though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back