Heed CanAmp
Oct 26, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #2,537 of 2,784
I worry that prolonged intense heat would slowly fry the components or something. Is this a fallacy?

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #2,538 of 2,784
It's part of the design... there are 30 year old class A amplifiers still functioning perfectly well out there. Case in point: look at any Stasis amps from Nakamichi, or older Threshold or Classe amps, Levinson, Krell, Rowland Research.... I could go on and on...

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #2,539 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Cucuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IT's a class A amp. As such, they run hot because as soon as you turn it on, it's running flat out all the time. What's not required of such an amp design in terms of volume is being thrown off in heat. - a natural process of the design.
Realistically, who operates any amplifier with the lid off, touching the heat sinks and capacitors? - A recipe for a shocking experience if ever I've heard one.... Please be careful.

Hmm in the nicest way possible I'll say this. Yes I know it's class A and no I'm not a complete moron and the unit was turned off + unplugged when I go around touching things. Love the attitude GG.

Anyways, maybe 'naked' operation is too hardcore for most people but it's no different from having the side panel off your computer case. Having a test bench would be a lot worse on your list but meh
confused_face.gif

What I'm suggesting is that it is extremely hot compared to what most people were commenting on. I was not getting 40C case temps. It felt much hotter. I think this is due to the new heatsinks are to blame. Some ventilation would have been welcomed and I think I might take this to the laser cutter to make some nice vent stripes.

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #2,540 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm in the nicest way possible I'll say this. Yes I know it's class A and no I'm not a complete moron

I see, I got it. Please note that I was very far from calling names and hope I did not imply such.
Simply put your first post did not give any such picture, one way or the other as to how you were doing this. My comment was more out of concern for your safety than it was to slam you.

No harm, no foul, ok?

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #2,541 of 2,784
No harm felt
biggrin.gif
. I'm just making it clear that I'm not nuts lol. I'm prone to key board warrior disease so hence the way I started my post. Keeps me in check.

What I don't get now is if this is a wee SS amp, how on earth do you fellas with bigger tube amps leave them on all the time. Clearly they aren't going to break any time soon. Re-reading parts of this thread, I've concluded that despite my concerns about how hot my Canamp was, it's still well within the operating norms of the unit. So I'm going to be conservative with my usage [ie, only turning it on when I'm using it ] and stop being a worry wart.

I'd still like to try and keep it cooler [part of the pc life - lower temps!].

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #2,542 of 2,784
Ah, I get it.
As for tube gear, NOOOO>.. you don't want to leave that on all the time, as the tubes through use have an eventual degradation. Putting it too simply, like a light bulb. Only in audio, as the tubes wear down, it's very gradual and we'll tend to compensate for this as it happens. Eventually, when they really start to go, the noise floor will come up and the extended highs can begin to roll off, rounding off dynamics. In worse case scenarios, they can even become microphonic - or begin to pop and hiss. Replacing the tubes brings them all up to speed again. You never know just how bad you needed to change them until you get the new ones in... ha!
Anyway, common practice might be when one gets home and tosses the keys onto the coffee table, they flip the amp on for it to warm up and go about settling in, whatever you do when you first get home. The thinking is that in the half hour or so that you settle into checking out the house, get the mail, open a beer, the tube amp as come up to temperature and will be ready for you.
Solid state can stay on all the time if that's the way you want to go - but it seems that you'd wrapped your mind around the idea of turning your CanAmp on and off as needed.

Hey, enjoy the amp. That's really all that's left. Feed the little beast with some nice music and have fun!

Dan

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #2,546 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi. You'll either have a 115v or 230v. The one I got is 230v. So long as it is between 220v and 240v it will work with no problems.

Agreed... this is not an issue.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back