Heed CanAmp
May 25, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #2,161 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USG:
perhaps this is why I felt your Heed sounded so drastically different than mine. we wrote it off as "immature" but perhaps it is a hardware/parts issue all along. Wayne

That certainly would explain a lot.... not withstanding that your Heed is also connected to an extremely good DAC .....
580smile.gif

May 25, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #2,162 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremiah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man this thread is starting to worry me a lot. My Canamp should arrive in a few more days if it goes according to schedule. Please, let not my Canamp be a bad egg..

Hi Jerehiah

I suppose that all you would have to do is take a look at the flip side of the board to see if you got the real deal or the "frankenamp".

USG

May 26, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #2,163 of 2,784
My apologies to Dan at Blackbird for blindsiding him in this thread, I should have at least given him a heads up before posting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=2121 does it look like the photo at the bottom? If so it confirms my suspicion(s)... but all the latests canamps have the right transformer for the board (blue avisor brand) as expressed in this post:

No, the transformer in my CanAmp doesn't look like either of those. It is made by Makrai, it's grey and about 2/3 the size of the blue one in Mr. Arroyos picture. I'll try to post a picture over the weekend. Although the secondaries are rated at 7VA on the Makrai vs. 6VA on the Avisor, the smaller size should have been a clue. The transformer design and the quality of the iron and copper are what determine sound quality, not VA ratings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy
Did your Canamp have hook up wires to the LED so the board could easily be removed, or was the LED soldered directly to the board, discouraging its removal and the view of the other side?:

No, the LED on my CanAmp did not have hookup wires - it appeared as if the LED had very long leads soldered directly to the pc board but it was really soldered to what appear to be couple of leads coming from the pc board.

May 26, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2,164 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Jerehiah

I suppose that all you would have to do is take a look at the flip side of the board to see if you got the real deal or the "frankenamp".

USG

Regardless, I would encourage Jerehiah to simply plug it in... let it warm up and enjoy the thing.

...but there I go wearing my optimism on my sleeve again.

May 26, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #2,165 of 2,784
Quote:

Hi Jerehiah

USG

@upstateguy

Haha good one USG - "frankenamp"
smily_headphones1.gif
Oh man, I just really wish that the Canamp remained the same all throughout since mrarroyo got his, parts and all, or at least I didn't find out about this, ignorance is bliss! Now that I do know, I can't help but be worried. Furthermore I don't want to void the 3yr warranty so I can't open to find out! Arghh! Alpar has been such a nice guy, I'd be sad to have to ask for a refund if I received a frankenamp from him..

Quote:

Regardless, I would encourage Jerehiah to simply plug it in... let it warm up and enjoy the thing.

...but there I go wearing my optimism on my sleeve again.

@Blackbird Audio

Haha, Dan I would so love to be able to do that, but I have a weakness for this sort of thing. It just drives me nuts to know that I am probably receiving something different from others. The worst part is that I'll never know! Is there any way of finding out without cracking it open?

Maybe we need another post from Alpar here to clear up the mix-ups, hehe. I'm sure he has an explanation for it.

May 26, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #2,166 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremiah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way of finding out without cracking it open?

if you just open it and don't put a soldering iron to it, i dont think it would void the warranty, but check with Alpar, but it's not like you modded it (yet)

but you really shouldn't let the parts dictate how you hear it. listening to it should be the ultimate deciding factor whether you return it or not...

May 26, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #2,167 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies to Dan at Blackbird for blindsiding him in this thread, I should have at least given him a heads up before posting.

No, the transformer in my CanAmp doesn't look like either of those. It is made by Makrai, it's grey and about 2/3 the size of the blue one in Mr. Arroyos picture. I'll try to post a picture over the weekend. Although the secondaries are rated at 7VA on the Makrai vs. 6VA on the Avisor, the smaller size should have been a clue. The transformer design and the quality of the iron and copper are what determine sound quality, not VA ratings.

No, the LED on my CanAmp did not have hookup wires - it appeared as if the LED had very long leads soldered directly to the pc board but it was really soldered to what appear to be couple of leads coming from the pc board.

I have the same one, and mine also has the 'tack soldering' on the bottom. Nevertheless I still think mine sounds great...

May 26, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #2,168 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you just open it and don't put a soldering iron to it, i dont think it would void the warranty, but check with Alpar, but it's not like you modded it (yet)

but you really shouldn't let the parts dictate how you hear it. listening to it should be the ultimate deciding factor whether you return it or not...

Yeah d-cee you're right. It shouldn't be about the parts, thanks for bringing me back down to earth, haha. I'll have a listen to it first, and after burn-in, then only worry about whether it is a frankenamp..hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #2,171 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CanAmp only has phono connectors so you would need an appropriate cable. I guess it might power extremely efficient speakers.

I see thanks.
rs1smile.gif

May 27, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #2,172 of 2,784
I don't know if Heed using different component suppliers will have a detrimental effect on sound qualities but I just wanted to say my PinkFloyd modified CanAmp is a fantastic sounding piece of equipment. I use mine naked with the AD823 opamp & it really offers emotional involvement & total engagement with the music.

May 29, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #2,173 of 2,784
Hey guys guys!! I've just got my Canamp!
smily_headphones1.gif
Woohoo~I'm so ecstatic now. Hehe, it actually came yesterday but I had a long day at Uni so when I came back home, the reception was closed and I couldn't collect my package. So today I purposely woke up extra early and went to get it. So nice to receive packages, hehe
tongue.gif

I took it out of the box, admired it a while (not that long because I couldn't wait to plug it in, so that I can admire it while I listen to it), I peeled of the front sticker and polished the face plate, hooked it up and fired up fb2k with my moosic. Well, guess what? All my worries and doubts about the Canamp...are gone! It sounds amazing! Even out of the box, and IMO better (to me, which is subjective) than the MF X-Can v3 i had tried not too long ago. No offence to any MF owners, but I just felt that the Canamp had the same (or better, I'll just have to wait and see) performance as the v3 without the muffled expression. Perhaps it was due to the cables that the audio shop gave with the v3, but right now I am not using anything high end either, just a Belkin stereo link (don't squint at me for that, I can't afford anything better, haha). I really can't wait to hear this after the 200 hr burn-in mark, but right now I can't get the headphones off either, because for once I am listening to 'music'.

Will post impressions later, right now I just want to chill with the tunes. Just wanted to make a simple post now to share my joy with all you great people here. Oh yeah, for those of you who are reading and planning to get one, don't hesitate, Alpar is a fantastic guy, and one that I am thoroughly happy to have purchased an amp from, his product really does live up to his great personality - He is da man! Haha. Hungarians rock!

[Looks at the cute little Canamp on the table, pats it lightly and smiles]

Now I can finally "forget Hi-Fi, remember music"
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #2,174 of 2,784
^ Congrats on the reception of your neat new audio toy jeremiah, I wish you many peak musical experiences with it, as I also had with mine
wink.gif

Thank you, for the uplifting post too, so full of audio joy
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy the tunes~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back