Heed CanAmp
May 29, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #2,176 of 2,784
re Jeremiah

Nice to read your review. Mine was sent the 26.th from Alpar, so it should be here in one or two days. It shure is good with some positive remarks on the subject Heed Canamp again!

May 29, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #2,177 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremiah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I can finally "forget Hi-Fi, remember music"
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations, jeremiah, truly a timely reminder amidst much fuss about one little wire outside the signal path!
wink.gif

HdBr1.jpg

May 29, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #2,179 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
congrats man! Finally you got your CanAmp.

I wish to forget hi-fi and enjoy my music too, but the temptation to upgrade my source is still very strong. :p

Yrh0413, you must be my missing siamese brother, we think and move in almost prefect unison.
biggrin.gif

Not only we have had almost identical setup in the past and upgraded to same components at the same time and now I'm going that "must upgrade source" phase too.

You really should mod at least the electrolytic caps on your CanAmp though, the transformation has been fantastic. I'll post my update and some pics on that other thread soon.
lambda.gif

May 29, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #2,180 of 2,784
Lolz, i just received the last parcel of modding parts from Farnell this afternoon. Let's see what i got:

2x Panasonic 10k uF 35V
2x Panasonic FC 10uF 50V
2x Panasonic FC 100uF 63V
4x MUR820, and AD823, LM4562, LM6172

Gonna perform the mods in 2 weeks time. By the way those MUD820s are damn huge! It is almost twice the size of any dip8 opamps!
basshead.gif
By the way Gaso, what source upgrade do you have in mind? Currently i have Lite DAC-AH, Zhaolu D2.5a, and EMU1212m. Leaning towards the EMU for now, even though i'm pretty fed up with their lousy customer support
mad.gif

May 29, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #2,181 of 2,784
Quote:

By the way Gaso, what source upgrade do you have in mind? Currently i have Lite DAC-AH, Zhaolu D2.5a, and EMU1212m. Leaning towards the EMU for now, even though i'm pretty fed up with their lousy customer support
mad.gif

I had the Apogee Minidac in mind but having so much fun with modding the Canamp I wouldn't mind little more DIY work. One criteria would be balanced outputs for future use, but other than that the choices are wide open...

May 29, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #2,183 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Congrats on the reception of your neat new audio toy jeremiah, I wish you many peak musical experiences with it, as I also had with mine
wink.gif

Thank you, for the uplifting post too, so full of audio joy
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy the tunes~

Thanks for the wishes Hi-FInthen, hmm..."audio toy" makes it sound all the more fun! Even though this toy doesn't do much else but sit on the table, it sure is nice to see the black faceplate with a blue glow emanating from the center, especially in a dim setting, while listening to jazz and such. Now that it's close to winter, I find placing my hands on it and feeling it's warmth very comfortable! Haha. I'm glad to hear my post are bringing joy to the thread
tongue.gif
You have fun and enjoy your tunes too mate!

Quote:

wink.gif
congrats man! Finally you got your CanAmp.

I wish to forget hi-fi and enjoy my music too, but the temptation to upgrade my source is still very strong. :p

Thanks for the congrats yrh0413, ahaha yeah I was pretty much like that too before, but right now I am contented. Nothing is perfect, but this is pretty darn good stuff
biggrin.gif
Plus, I don't want to keep on chasing an illusive dream and end up not ever spending time listening to it. It's kind of ironic how we spend so much time setting things up for the purpose of listening, but end up spending more time on the setting up than listening, ahaha. It's time to enjoy the fruits of labour (not really labour, just lots of waiting and painfully spending cash actually) haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arirug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
re Jeremiah

Nice to read your review. Mine was sent the 26.th from Alpar, so it should be here in one or two days. It shure is good with some positive remarks on the subject Heed Canamp again!

Hi arirug
smily_headphones1.gif
Great to hear you are getting yours soon too. It's funny how I can get so excited over a simple cardboard box and a black brick inside, but it's just such joy to receive and open up a package that is specially for you. I'm glad mine has no defects, or at least I don't see any, it is really as quiet as a brick and no audible humm or buzz as some have reported. I can put my ear close to it and still no noise. It's great for warming up your hands though, if you're close to the chilly season like here where I am.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations, jeremiah, truly a timely reminder amidst much fuss about one little wire outside the signal path!
wink.gif

HdBr1.jpg

Thanks Dexdexter, yeah...now that I have mine and heard it, I don't really even think about what is inside anymore. I just like to see the RCA going in from the back of the black box and outputting through the K701's cables
smily_headphones1.gif
I like to think that some magic is going on inside the box, hehe. Nice pic man!

Thanks for all the wishes and supportive comments my friends
tongue.gif
I am glad to see my views as a newbie are so well received, and it just goes to show the maturity and experience of the people here! Those who have heard the "ferraris" of amps might have a different take on it, but for me going from ampless to an amp, I really feel a world of difference! I love my Canamp!
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #2,187 of 2,784
I finally received my Canamp three days ago, and it has been playing constantly since then. In my opinion it sounds very good. I listened to a few Johnny Cash songs now with three different headphones and found the ranking to be: 1 AKG K701, 2 Beyerdynamic DT990 2005 edit, 3 Beyerdynamic DT831. The source was an imod 4G with Apple lossless and ichord cables. I thought the DT990s did nearly as great job as the K701. So I like to switch among them. I tried to compare the Canamp to the Darkvoice 336i too. The Darkvoice had a Svetlana in the back and a RCA 6sn7gtb in the front, and 100-150 hours more. I found it hard to tell that one is better than the other. I think they both sounded great! I didn`t get the chance to try the Grados SR225, since I sold both my pairs just before receiving the amplifiers. But I will soon be able to try them with AKG K340, one stock and one modded. How these to amplifiers compare to the higher end ones, I have no idea, since Ray Samuels Tomahawk is the only other headphone amplifier I have heard. I think the Tomahawk is a nice amplifier, but these two beat it.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #2,189 of 2,784
biggrin.gif
lolz i don't think i can keep track on how my Heed evolves. You see, i'd acquired a handful of opamps and i was busy swapping them in and out. I had 2 LM6172s in my D2.5a, and it sounded sterile and cold and it just sounded quite bad on my favorite music genre: classicals. Thrown in an OPA2107 into the Heed and now it sounded so much better.

Let me see, my DY2000 is on the way to me; and so is my browndog and tentatively i'll be rolling OPA637s next week :p

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #2,190 of 2,784
Hi guys.

I received a reply form Alpar yesterday regarding the power supply issues that have been brought up here.
As promised, I emailed our importer and he, in turn, forwarded my (our) concern to the manufacturer.
This is the email received from Alpar:

Hi Dan,

Here we go, my (our) reply.
You can forward it to Headfi on behalf of Zsolt and me. If you wished to
complement or amend it, just feel free to do so.

Best,
Alpar

With this, I submit without censor:

Sorry to have taken so long to address the recent questions raised here about the CanAmp, but I wanted to be able to provide the best possible answer directly from the source—that being my brother Zsolt, our designer and production manager.

However, this meant that I first had to translate relevant information and posts into Hungarian for him to properly reply. Then, we had a few other, non-CanAmp related issues that demanded more immediate attention, as well as a couple national holiday weekends…so the time flies!

And finally of course, I had to translate Zsolt’s words from Hungarian back into English for you all to read.

So here’s Zsolt:

"...One of the reasons was a transformer availability problem and that an alternate source would be used. I expressed concern that the amp might not sound as good as the originals that Pinky and Mr. Arroyo had raved about if the transformer was different. I was assured that it would be just as good as the original.”

Yes, there was a transformer availability problem and yes, we had to find an alternate source. It only meant, however, a different wholesaler, and not a different transformer. A new one?? Far from it! All CanAmps for the US from the very beginnings until April 2007 were built with the same transformer, and were fitted the same way into the PCB as objected to in JohnH’s post, to boot. Since April, we have a new transformer which fits better into the PCB but it plays no role in regard of product quality, it simply means a certain ease in production procedure.

"...There was a thread of a wire jumpering the primary and one of the high current secondary transformer windings was bent over and tacked to a thin trace rather than jumping it to the heavy section of the trace that connects to the filter cap where it should have gone.

Frankly, we don’t quite understand this to be any kind of problem whatsoever. A piece of wire – to our opinion – is not inferior to the signal conductivity of the PCB itself (if anything, it is better – ask the advocates of point-to-point wiring). In other words, this solution doesn’t deteriorate the quality of a product, neither electro-technically, nor soundwise. Besides, this wiring under such hysterical scrutiny lies entirely outside the signal path!

And let me emphasize herewith another consideration: Heed, just like any other hi-fi manufacturer delivers a ’closed’ product, and not a component part package for DIY hobbyists. As a legally liable manufacturer, we are to account for quality assurance of a finished product, a sealed unit, if you like. As such, we reserve the right – just like ALL other manufacturers – to implement partial changes at our discretion within the specification and topology of the product.

"...A jpg of the "rework" is attached to this post, the picture is of the CanAmp as I received it BEFORE I ever touched it with a sodering iron.

God forbid us to get arrogant, but where on earth is a customer entitled – by reason of life protection, as well as warranty – to open electronic gear, let alone to take it to pieces? Needless to say, in such a case the warranty gets forfeited automatically.

So the posts on Head-Fi speculating about earlier CanAmps being somehow superior to those that have been delivered recently, are just that—idle speculation entirely without substance. As a matter of course, if a CanAmp owner happened to establish a measurable alteration, or discover a clearly perceivable sonic difference to another serial CanAmp, we are going to provide him every possible assistance – via our distribution/retailers chain – to get the matter straightened out and assure absolute consistency in our product.

But just one final word about modifications. Branded products, after modifying them, are no longer ’those’ products. The various mods of the CanAmp, as presented and discussed on this forum, are different entities, the CanAmp plays only a rudimental role in them – these are not "Heed Audio” CanAmps any more.

Though the end of this note seems a bit stern, it is my opinion (suggestion) that the reader take into consideration the concern that manufacturers have of any liability exposure resulting from such modifications (in the hands of the unqualified - not to imply too much here) might bring, such as electrical fire, damage to other components and/or heaven forbid, personal injury.
I, for one, have simply gotten tired of that burning smell my fingers give off from the soldering iron and the ensuing pain involved in such projects.
blink.gif

As you all know by now, I tend to ramble, so while I do have my own little bit to share with you on the topic of hot rodding components, I'll spare the readership a much longer thread and submit through this link, just a small personal story on the subject:

Of Gibson Les Pauls and Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back