Heed CanAmp
May 1, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #1,861 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...i'm not sure about the diodes to be honest, if it has faster recovery time i imagine that is the better if all else being equal. but i am not too familiar with diodes and how their specs affect the sound.

Here is quote about diodes (sourced from Burson Audio website):

To take your upgrade a step further, replace the diode rectifier bridge with "soft" recovery FREDs (fast recovery epitaxial diodes) or Schottky diodes. These fast-action diodes have what is known as soft recovery. What that means is that when the voltage across them changes polarity, causing them to go from forward- to reverse-biased, the plot of current versus time slopes smoothly back toward zero current, rather than overshooting the zero axis and wobbling briefly around it, or "ringing." Basically, the lack of ringing means less noise.

Buy replacement diodes with higher amperage ratings than the original ones. The original diodes are designed to tolerate high-peak surge currents, which occur when the power-supply capacitors are charging (and don't forget, you added more capacitance!). Chances are, your replacement diodes aren't designed for high current surges; in my case, replacing the specced 1-ampere 600-volt diodes with the same value FREDs smoked them. So I used 4-A 600-V diodes and they worked fine.

You may have to be a bit creative with the installation of these replacements, because diodes with this increased rating are usually only available in a TO-220 type package instead of the original DO-41 package. Note that the TO-220 package has a metal tab at the top; this tab is generally connected to the cathode and should therefore be insulated with heat-shrink tubing to avoid any shock hazard.

Again, be very, very careful of the orientation of these diodes. By putting a faster, soft-recovery rectifier in the power supply, you will allow the power supply to respond more rapidly to the demands of the downstream circuitry with less switching noise. "

Cheers,

Lad

May 2, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #1,862 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and that temperature is achieved after how many minutes?

not sure to honest, where i live it takes about 30 minutes for the case to be warmish to touch

from when i operate the unit with the case opened, it takes about 15 minutes for the power resistors to be warm/hot to touch and a little less for the heatsinks on the transistors to also be hot. the transformer also gets a little warm but does so after about 5 minutes

these are my observations anyway...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is quote about diodes (sourced from Burson Audio website):

To take your upgrade a step further, replace the diode rectifier bridge with "soft" recovery FREDs (fast recovery epitaxial diodes) or Schottky diodes. These fast-action diodes have what is known as soft recovery. What that means is that when the voltage across them changes polarity, causing them to go from forward- to reverse-biased, the plot of current versus time slopes smoothly back toward zero current, rather than overshooting the zero axis and wobbling briefly around it, or "ringing." Basically, the lack of ringing means less noise.

Buy replacement diodes with higher amperage ratings than the original ones. The original diodes are designed to tolerate high-peak surge currents, which occur when the power-supply capacitors are charging (and don't forget, you added more capacitance!). Chances are, your replacement diodes aren't designed for high current surges; in my case, replacing the specced 1-ampere 600-volt diodes with the same value FREDs smoked them. So I used 4-A 600-V diodes and they worked fine.

You may have to be a bit creative with the installation of these replacements, because diodes with this increased rating are usually only available in a TO-220 type package instead of the original DO-41 package. Note that the TO-220 package has a metal tab at the top; this tab is generally connected to the cathode and should therefore be insulated with heat-shrink tubing to avoid any shock hazard.

Again, be very, very careful of the orientation of these diodes. By putting a faster, soft-recovery rectifier in the power supply, you will allow the power supply to respond more rapidly to the demands of the downstream circuitry with less switching noise. "

Cheers,

Lad

thanks lad! much appreciate it =D

May 2, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #1,863 of 2,784
Just got my shipment notification from Dan. Should be here next Monday (long transit time from CA to Chicago
frown.gif
)

May 2, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #1,864 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my shipment notification from Dan. Should be here next Monday (long transit time from CA to Chicago
frown.gif
)

... *

May 2, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #1,865 of 2,784
They really do exist! This is how I started my (Tues) morning...

Canampboxes.jpg

Got most all of them out but regular business and crazy phones got in the way. Just a few left for tomorrow.
Hang in there guys.

LOL

This is what my room looked like before they got here:

wba.jpg

Dan

May 2, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #1,866 of 2,784
Speaking of which, I have posted in FS forums that mine is for sale or trade. I am moving to a suitscase and unable even to take a laptop with me. I will leave in July so if you have interest until then, please pm me. Sad to say goodbye but the sacrifice for a newer life is worth it! cheers.

May 2, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #1,867 of 2,784
smily_headphones1.gif
Dan you've a lot of decent equipments.

p/s: Do you notice there's a small empty space at the middle rack, bottom tier? Just under the tube amp with 3 chrome knobs? I heard one of the CanAmps is screaming "Dan! Put me there!"

May 2, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #1,868 of 2,784
I should note that I am not at all unhappy with Dan's service. He has been one of the most attentive vendors I have worked with in a long time. I would do business with him again in a heartbeat.

I knew what I was getting when I paid for ground shipping from CA to IL. I was just lamenting the fact that it would be another week until I got my Heed
smily_headphones1.gif
. I guess I shouldn't have been so cheap!

May 2, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #1,869 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really do exist! This is how I started my (Tues) morning...

Canampboxes.jpg

Got most all of them out but regular business and crazy phones got in the way. Just a few left for tomorrow.
Hang in there guys.

LOL

This is what my room looked like before they got here:

wba.jpg

Dan

who might the artist be of the paintings on the wall, Dan?

May 2, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #1,870 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who might the artist be of the paintings on the wall, Dan?

Hi Wayne,

Left:
Sentinal Rock (30 x 40) 1992 B&W Silver Gelatin print by Philipp Scholz Rittermann

Center:
Rooftops and Palms (46 x 46) Acrylic on canvas by Gabe Kreiswirth

Right: White Rock on Dark Rock (30 x 40) 1994 B&W Silver Gelatin print by Philipp Scholz Rittermann.

Philipp is showing at San Diego's Museum of Natural History in Balboa Park. For a preview, click http://www.rittermann.com/clientproj.../index.html#11

Far Right: Hummm... That's a copy.
The original was done by Jose Esteban Martinez from Zacatecas, Mexico in 1988. It was used on the cover of Rickie Lee Jones' Flying Cowboys LP and from my copy of that LP, it just always "spoke" to me. So I made my own (with credit to the artist). I rendered it with Prismacolor pencils (very buttery consistency as they are a wax suspended pigment "lead") on 180Lb cold pressed water color paper 22 x 30.

From my website www.blackbirdaudio.com there is a link around the bottom left of the page to "friendly links". There are links in there to different venues for live music, museums in our area and websites that belong to friends of mine. Pop by some time and check them out.

Thanks for asking.

Dan

May 3, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #1,871 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Dan you've a lot of decent equipments.

p/s: Do you notice there's a small empty space at the middle rack, bottom tier? Just under the tube amp with 3 chrome knobs? I heard one of the CanAmps is screaming "Dan! Put me there!"

yeah... I noticed... I still can't give myself one yet though. There is still not enough to go around but we're getting there. They appear to be getting a little better with the shipments so I think I may actually be able to have some surplus CanAmps from the next order.

May 3, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #1,872 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graham, if you haven't already pulled the trigger on the Rega, you might contact Tony at Needles & Spins, who sells the CanAmp via mail order in the UK.

Although Rega make many fine products (and I've owned a few in the past), the Ear, while useful enough within the confines of their range, is, IMO, not one of their finest efforts. I had one for a few weeks about three years ago but I ended up returning it once I discovered that it wasn't terribly better than the headphone-out on my NAD 314 integrated.

Having owned a CanAmp since January, I'm confident that it is in another class altogether to my recollection of the Rega...unless the Ear has been substantially upgraded in the interim.

THANK you!! I knew there was some reason why I kept holding back on the Rega. Sometimes there are suspiciously many for sale on E bay too... I shall order a Canamp soon as I get back home week after next - can't wait
280smile.gif

Thanks, really appreciate it
Graham
evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #1,873 of 2,784
Quote:

Hi Wayne,

Left:
Sentinal Rock (30 x 40) 1992 B&W Silver Gelatin print by Philipp Scholz Rittermann

Center:
Rooftops and Palms (46 x 46) Acrylic on canvas by Gabe Kreiswirth

Right: White Rock on Dark Rock (30 x 40) 1994 B&W Silver Gelatin print by Philipp Scholz Rittermann.

Philipp is showing at San Diego's Museum of Natural History in Balboa Park. For a preview, click http://www.rittermann.com/clientproj.../index.html#11

Far Right: Hummm... That's a copy.
The original was done by Jose Esteban Martinez from Zacatecas, Mexico in 1988. It was used on the cover of Rickie Lee Jones' Flying Cowboys LP and from my copy of that LP, it just always "spoke" to me. So I made my own (with credit to the artist). I rendered it with Prismacolor pencils (very buttery consistency as they are a wax suspended pigment "lead") on 180Lb cold pressed water color paper 22 x 30.

From my website www.blackbirdaudio.com there is a link around the bottom left of the page to "friendly links". There are links in there to different venues for live music, museums in our area and websites that belong to friends of mine. Pop by some time and check them out.

Thanks for asking.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Looking forward to getting my CanAmp real soon, hopefully today or tomorrow, got your confirmation email the other day.

I noticed your appreciation for the fine arts, I'm hoping to get back to more painting for myself once some work and home projects get finished.

May 3, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #1,874 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by piper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Dan,

Looking forward to getting my CanAmp real soon, hopefully today or tomorrow, got your confirmation email the other day.

I noticed your appreciation for the fine arts, I'm hoping to get back to more painting for myself once some work and home projects get finished.

Yeah, thanks!... Work and home projects can really tend to stifle creativity. At some point you'll reach "critical mass" and HAVE to make something. I get that way a lot.

It's funny that art is something that many of us throw away quite readily at an early age. You look at the kid's work next to you and bewildered, figure "I must not be good at this" and step away from it - when in reality the other kid might have just been more accomplished.

I think creating art is essential to One's wholeness. It's something that certainly has been with me since an early age.
I always feel very good when I've knocked something out that has been rolling around in my noggin, be it fine arts, doodling or making music. People need to slow down a little and create a little - or a lot. It's good for you and easy to pick up, even as we get older. It's all in the doing.

It's on account of all of the above, that I feel a certain obligation to promote it on my site.

Ah, but I rant... sorry guys.

May 3, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #1,875 of 2,784
Quote:

Yeah, thanks!... Work and home projects can really tend to stifle creativity. At some point you'll reach "critical mass" and HAVE to make something. I get that way a lot.

It's funny that art is something that many of us throw away quite readily at an early age. You look at the kid's work next to you and bewildered, figure "I must not me good at this" and step away from it - when in reality the other kid might have just been more accomplished.

I think creating art is essential to One's wholeness. It's something that certainly has been with me since an early age.
I always feel very good when I've knocked something out that has been rolling around in my noggin, be it fine arts, doodling or making music. People need to slow down a little and create a little - or a lot. It's good for you and easy to pick up, even as we get older. It's all in the doing.

It's on account of all of the above, that I feel a certain obligation to promote it on my site.

Ah, but I rant... sorry guys.

A little ranting won't hurt anyone, but I agree, the creative process is essential to one's being. Music and art have always been my love, and while I work professionally as an artist I absolutely need music to help feed the creative process.

Improving the listening experience especially in a work environment helps all the better, and that's where Heed plays a role in attaining audio bliss.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back