Heed CanAmp
Apr 23, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #1,756 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd be keeping that thing switched off!

hmm is it the right voltage for your region? otherwise i'd contact whoever you purchased it from asap...

Ow crap! Voltage level is ok, I live in Belgium and bought one for the European market.
Just did 350 km (from Belgium to Germany), to get this thing...

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #1,757 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpelic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Heed canamp since today.
Probably only happens to me, the amp itself makes a slight buzzing sound.
I don't mean buzzing/hissing with headphones, I mean the amp itself.
Tried everything, cd player plugged in/out, headphone in/out.
The buzzing starts after 10 seconds warming up.

Anyone else with this problem ?
Thanks for the help in advance.

Yes mine buzzes too, I noticed that when I tried using the Heed at home, which is much quieter than my dorm. Try loosening the screws connecting the case to the chassis, if you have the right hex nut - it'll reduce it substantially. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Apr 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #1,758 of 2,784
but then you shouldn´t have it? I have none of that on my Heed.

Apr 23, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #1,759 of 2,784
Sounds like transformer core is vibrating. Used to be common problem with EI shaped cores, not sure what kind is fitted in CanAmp - most likely torroid.

Apr 23, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #1,760 of 2,784
I was really hoping to hear this amp at HeadFest but it was not to be found anywhere.
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #1,761 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody have a photo of the bottom of the board, excluding d-cee's modded version?

anyone? i'm sending my CanAmp to a friend of mine for modding but he needs to trace the circuit before he can order the parts for me. And i don't know how to pry open mine (and i scared i cannot assemble them back together!)
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #1,762 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone? i'm sending my CanAmp to a friend of mine for modding but he needs to trace the circuit before he can order the parts for me. And i don't know how to pry open mine (and i scared i cannot assemble them back together!)
tongue.gif

That would definitely be appreciated to have a nice photo of it so I can find out what's going on in that thing.

For now it looks like an opamp (standard CMOY circuit) with a BD139 transistor buffer running in Class-A off an UNREGULATED power supply.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #1,764 of 2,784
Frankly I've been too busy just enjoying the music. Impressions and comparisons seem pointless because the setup just seems to sound... right. I guess my message is that I'm content now
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #1,766 of 2,784
murugesh, i see you use 650 with heed, can you tell something about this duo - i'm seriously thinking to try more "neutral" phones as one more pair of cans.
i always use both EQ and Aphex 204 (meaning that i always try to tailor the sound to my personal needs...
tongue.gif
) and sometimes it feels like i have to "fight" not only not the best possible recording but cans' signature also.
confused.gif
hence the need for may be more neutral cans.
thnx in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #1,767 of 2,784
I found the 650/Heed pairing quite good but needed additional umph in the bass lines and a bit more clarity in the mid range. I was never really sure where this issue came from: the headphones or the amp. What solved it was a Zumobius cable (or others, depending on your preferences).Once I recabled the 650s the pairing was dynamic and lush all at once, which is a beautiful thing to behold.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #1,768 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new heed owners, no news? no first impressions, no initial comparisons?
blink.gif
share your experience with us, pls.
orphsmile.gif

I'm anxiously awaiting my CanAmp hopefully to arrive later this week
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #1,769 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the 650/Heed pairing quite good but needed additional umph in the bass lines and a bit more clarity in the mid range. I was never really sure where this issue came from: the headphones or the amp. What solved it was a Zumobius cable (or others, depending on your preferences).Once I recabled the 650s the pairing was dynamic and lush all at once, which is a beautiful thing to behold.

thanks a lot for sharing your experience, opinions like this make one prepared to expect things.
"...depending on your preferences..." - what you mean by this, what are the optoins?
heed is rather "warm" amp but as it is still SS amp it seems to me logical to try to warm it even more, what do you think? if so what cable updates would work in that direction? or what updates would do what?
blink.gif

thnx again
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #1,770 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
new heed owners, no news? no first impressions, no initial comparisons?
blink.gif
share your experience with us, pls.
orphsmile.gif

I've been running my CanAmp 24/7 for the past week. Initial impression: piercing highs, but its gone for good now. I don't hear any improvements after the 200 hours burn-in.

In fact i wrote a brief review on my blog: http://yrh0413.net/blog/?p=181. Its not a professional review though. As for comparisons, it beats my 0404 analogue output, my ex LD2+, and the Zhaolu discreet headamp module. Going to send my CanAmp for modding in 2 weeks time (will change all caps to Silmic IIs, probably might involve some drilling).

By the way, can any kind CanAmp owners send me the unmodded circuit picture? I will be very grateful as i don't know how to open my CanAmp and i need to trace the circuit to get the proper parts
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back