Heed CanAmp
Feb 27, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #992 of 2,784
I have to say that I use my Grado with flats. At the present my main cans are HD650s and Darth Beyers and at first I found grados shrill and fatiguing too. I added flats to the equation and goodbye bright sound. Problem solved
smily_headphones1.gif
. It is not a subtle change and if you like what grados do with rock but are sensible to highs, may be a good option.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #993 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone used this amp with Grado's? Specifically, the 225/325's? I used my 32ohm Senn PMX100's & was pleasantly surprised by the quality.

Hi Nigel,

I just attended the Bristol Meet this past Saturday with my CanAmp in tow.

Grado-wise, we listened to the GS-1000, RS-1, and Alessandro MS-1, all of which sounded just lovely through the Heed.

In fact, we couldn't find a headphone in the lot that the CanAmp didn't pair well with. Among the others were: Sony SA5000, Senn HD650 (+ blue dragon cable), and my bunch of Ultrasones (two of which are 40 Ohm).

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #994 of 2,784
Yes, it has an effect on sound quality. It is better an attenuator cable with a resistance in it, and with it you alter the sound making it bassier and with softer highs. May be of your liking too. I comment about it further in my CanAmp review (in spanish).

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #997 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice one. I guess this is reported elsewhere? How did the Heed stack up against the amp opposition?

The other desktop amps on-hand were: Chiarra, WNA Mk1, Woo 3, Millet Hybrid, and a Corda Headfive.

Both the Headfive and the Woo sounded fine with Senn HD650, but essentially lacked the oomph necessary to drive the Ultrasones and Grados properly. The Chiarra and White Noise Audio seemed capable but decidedly unspectacular. And the Millet was nice at lower volumes but did not respond well to the listening levels that I normally enjoy. So IMHO, the CanAmp pretty much ruled the roost on this outing.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #998 of 2,784
Interesting Dex.

Carlos, I translated your review. It makes some interesting points & is the first time I've read an evaluation with the Heed stacked up against something more exotic.

Thanks guys.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #999 of 2,784
Hi Nigel,
About grados vs. HD650... Well, I prefer HD650s no matter the amp I use with them
smily_headphones1.gif
. I only prefer grados (with flats, never bowls) for rock music, and contrarely what is frequently said, I find HD650s good enough with rock.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #1,000 of 2,784
Hi,

What is the consensus of opinion regarding the best op amp to use? I'm using the LM4562 & find it fantastic but I haven't tried my OPA 627's yet. The AD823 sounded wonderful as well.

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #1,001 of 2,784
sometime after Pink Floyd had reported improvements attainable with some relatively simple mods there were reports of a higher end version of this amp being produced at some point. this thread is too unweildy to dig through. is there any further news of a higher end amp by these folks coming to fruition? (yeah, i'm aware that they are behind in production of the current version but that hopefully hasn't precluded development of other products). (has anyone stayed in touch with Pinkie? i wonder if he has played around with this amp some more.)

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #1,003 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had heard that the higher end Canamp was "in the mist" and something not to be concerned with for the near future.

Yes, Wayne, that's pretty much it. I had the pleasure of spending much of this past weekend with the Heed boys at the Bristol Sound & Vision Show:

HdBr1.jpg

New slogan could not say it better...

HdBr7.jpg

Omnidirectional loudspeakers are another Heed speciality

UsHd1.jpg

Two semi-obscure objects of desire

HdBr4.jpg

Alpar, Brian Johnson, & Zsolt

Ob7.jpg

The new Obelisk integrated with upgrade PSU and stereo power amp for bi-amping

Ob4.jpg

Under the hood with a glimpse of the optional DAC card / K-1000 fans take note: this is gonna kill!

ObDAC1.jpg

The DAC card which will undoubtedly make its way into a next gen CanAmp

UsHd5.jpg

UsHd3.jpg

CanAmp designer Zsolt Huszti rockin' some PROlines

UsHd2.jpg

More tales from the Heed frontline forthcoming tomorrow, stay tuned!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #1,005 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dex, so no mention of this next gen amp in real time? Are they planning on integrating a Dac into the next Heed amp? I am salivating.

Well, sure, but nothing will materialize before this coming Fall. Heed need to catch-up on production of the current model, launch the 5 or so different Obelisk boxes plus the new Enigma loudspeakers.

But Zsolt is keenly aware of all the modifications that have been discussed here and elsewhere, so if he decides to unleash a "statement" CanAmp, it should be pretty dern special.

Or he could go in another direction altogether by designing a headphone amplifier based upon the unique and decidedly unconventional Obelisk topology, which is non-DC-coupled and about as tube-like in flavor as solid state gets. Just magic with loudspeakers, I shudder at the thought of how fabulous it might sound driving headphones!

A standalone DAC is also likely in the cards, with the usual proper Heed power supply, etc. This could conceivably be available before Summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back