Heed CanAmp, Graham Slee Solo SRG II, or X-Can V8P?
Apr 5, 2010 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

iamjacksears

Head-Fier
These have both been around long enough to move past FOTM so I was hoping to get some opinions from owners or previous owners of these amps. This will be for a desktop rig using either an iTouch as a source or my work PC through a v-dac. The main headphones I will be using will be the D5000, K702, and maybe the DT880 (250ohm).

I know there are some other solid amps out there but I've read good things about both of these and the synergy they have with the K702 (not sure about the D5000). Any input would be appreciated
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 17
For the K701 and smaller budget the Heed would be my choice. For various cans as you mention the Solo SRGII no question. You may wish to send a PM to Skylab and Headphoneaddict, both have had the SRGI and SRGII on loan.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for the feedback. I had also considered the X-Can V8P and Burson HA-160 but I thought that based on what I read the HA-160 might be too bright with the K702 and I was unsure about the synergy the V8 would have with both the D5000 and K702.

Anyone else have experience with these amps and the ones from my first post that care to chime in?

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 17
The v8 and the D5000's are a "match made in heaven." I assume it will be just as good with other low impedance phones.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 17
Hi

I recently went out to prove how ludicrous the idea of a headphone amp was. My experiment would yield evidence of how much smoke gets stuck between the ears of head-fiers.

tested: NAD C370, said Canamp and Slee Solo on k701

Result: I bought the Solo. Blast!

The Heed is really good. But if you can stretch it the Solo does offer more details and insight in the highs and more composure too.

I'm now degraded to a drooling bafoon listening to obscure pressings of my favourite CD's hearing all kinds of things never encountered before. Excellent
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 17
The X-Can V8P is a hybrid. P version has a DAC, which you don't need, but hey if it's free.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 17
I believe the X-CAN V8 already had a USB-input. The only difference between the non-P and the P versions are the line out connections IIRC (allowing you to use the V8P as a preamplifier).

And that didn't come at no cost either... the P is a "little" more expensive than the non-P (;

Having said that however... I recently picked up the X-CAN V8P and the X-PSU V8 and must say that Musical Fidelity does maintain quite a predictable sound signature across their product range. A little hard to describe, but chances are if you don't like a particular MF product you won't like any... whereas if you like a particular product, you'll likely be quite fond of their entire product range from top to bottom.

I've had a A1008 and A5 INT till I decided to go with headphones (to reduce noise pollution at home)... and the moment I fired up my music on my V8's (on a Senn HD 800) I instantly felt at-home again.

(I'm temporarily utilizing the USB DAC on the X-CAN V8P as my transport hasn't arrived yet... and despite the generally poor reception of the DAC in the X-CAN V8P, I have to say I'm quite pleased with it. I could use it and be a pretty happy man, and it's definitely a nifty addition while you're waiting for your DAC or transport to arrive :) ...)

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by entrope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the X-CAN V8 already had a USB-input. The only difference between the non-P and the P versions are the line out connections IIRC (allowing you to use the V8P as a preamplifier).

And that didn't come at no cost either... the P is a "little" more expensive than the non-P (;

Ah, research fail
frown.gif
So the P stands for preamp, very ... logical.
icon10.gif

Well around here I haven't found a V8 (non-P) so it's not like the cost difference can be realized... I do know they have announced a new HP amp, SS IIRC...

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 17
Yeah, I read from a few sites that the V8's will be replaced pretty soon (as soon as June-July-Ish?). Had decided not to wait however as the V8's have received their fair share of good feedback... so even if MF replaces it, it doesn't make it a less-good product.

And anyway, anyone familiar with MF will also be familiar with their ridiculous product cycles... the speed at which they churn out new products is insane. It isn't too bad for their headphone lineup, but they pretty much have a new int/pre/power amplifier at least once or twice a year.

With regards to the V8 & V8P price difference, I believe it's just under 100 USD... can't recall 100% though /:

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by entrope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had decided not to wait however as the V8's have received their fair share of good feedback... so even if MF replaces it, it doesn't make it a less-good product.

For amps, definitely. Revolutions are few and far in between - for example the Concerto will probably be great, but in the end it's a AD797 amp with a good PSU, volume knob and active balanced ground. A good M^3 has all three features and its from 2005 at least. Though the market definitely is still expanding and I think the new developments are quite exciting - discrete opamps, new players etc...

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for x can v8 with the k701. Great combo, some nice tubes and a psu will complete the package and really make you see why so many people love the k701. I also had a Denon D2000, worked really well with the x-can as well.

Is this amp even available right now? I thought I'd read somewhere that it was not in production and a new version or replacement would be out in Jun or July
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 17
Well, the Heed will certainly play nice with the 702...

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this amp even available right now? I thought I'd read somewhere that it was not in production and a new version or replacement would be out in Jun or July
confused_face(1).gif

The X-CAN V8P is supposedly discontinued, but should still be easy to get.

My local MF distributor in Singapore just got a shipment of five units in about two weeks ago, of which I now have one. It had a manufacture date of "DEC 2009" on it though, so it could very likely be that they have stopped production and they are simply clearing off current stock now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back