HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #4,321 of 4,472
That is an oxymoron.
Expanse has more Bass than Elite (objective proof in measurements, this is no opinion)
it can't have less bass than the Heddphone V2 while the Elite has more.
That would be the most polarizing opinion I ever heard. There is no way Expanse deliver bigger bass than Elite in any conditions.

Edit: Ok, unless you run a frequency sweep at specifically 40hz or less, then Expanse will have more bass. However when you test on a proper song that have complete frequency (Bass-Mid-Treble), that ain't gonna happen due to the much higher frequency response in Upper mid / Low Treble area in Expanse (while human's ear designed to be the most sensitive at 2000-5000hz)

Elite has even bigger bass than Caldera. Caldera has more bass than Hedd V2. DCA Expanse has less bass than Hedd V2.

Correct, Hedd V2 is more as revealing character, Elite is more forgiving and mellow.
If I have to explain a bit more detail, with Safri Duo - Samb Adagio (From Dali CD Test 2), in the several first second there is Low Bass notes, then followed with the full Bass performance (Midbass).

In the first few seconds, Expanse deliver stronger sub bass presence, but when midbass came, Hedd V2 deliver bigger bass quantity (midbass).

Is Caldera more mellow than Hedd V2?
yes

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #4,323 of 4,472
Expanse may have more sub bass by a little,- but midbass- Elite over Expanse by alot.
I just edited my post above. What matter the most is Expanse deliver much more upper mid / low treble than Elite. To reach same bass loudness as Elite, the upper mid/low treble on Expanse will become "seriously" too loud.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #4,324 of 4,472
I just edited my post above. What matter the most is Expanse deliver much more upper mid / low treble than Elite. To reach same bass loudness as Elite, the upper mid/low treble on Expanse will become "seriously" too loud.

This may be true via measurements but i definitely didn't hear it that way. Elite was the headphone w the upper mid honk and fatiguing sound between both. Expanse tonally "sounds" way more natural/correct. Elite is like xmas wrapping trash imo because of the problems tonally it has.. Meze needs to work hard to improve the tonality of their high-end headphones.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #4,325 of 4,472
This may be true via measurements but i definitely didn't hear it that way. Elite was the headphone w the upper mid honk and fatiguing sound between both. Expanse tonally "sounds" way more natural/correct. Elite is like xmas wrapping trash imo because of the problems tonally it has.. Meze needs to work hard to improve the tonality of their high-end headphones.
I strongly disagree with this opinion

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #4,326 of 4,472
I strongly disagree with this opinion

We all hear things differently. I felt strongly about the differences between Expanse and Elite when I heard them. I heard both at canjam and sat w them for a good amount of time. Admittedly, the environment was louder when I heard the Elite, however it's shortcomings were apparent almost immediately. Expanse I heard in a quiet room and to my ears it sounded almost perfect. Infact I came away w the impression that it was one of if not the best headphone I had ever heard. I feel there is a vast gulf between the two headphones, as well as between Elite/Empyrean and a lot of other headphones at 1k and over, and honestly even some headphones that cost considerably less than 1k.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #4,327 of 4,472
I compared the Expanse and Elite in my home for a few weeks and prefered the Expanse, but The Elite sounded nice IMHO. My main issue with the Elite was I prefer a more solid, bold sound rather than the airy etherial sound. For this same reason- I dislike the Susvara even more. But this is my taste. I also think Planers and dynamics do a better job presenting physical sound while electrostats do a better job with etherial, airy sound; so if I went in the etherial direction- I'd go with electrostats.

What I loved about the Hedd one was that IMHO it really combined both approaches better than any other technology I ever heard.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #4,328 of 4,472
I compared the Expanse and Elite in my home for a few weeks and prefered the Expanse, but The Elite sounded nice IMHO. My main issue with the Elite was I prefer a more solid, bold sound rather than the airy etherial sound. For this same reason- I dislike the Susvara even more. But this is my taste. I also think Planers and dynamics do a better job presenting physical sound while electrostats do a better job with etherial, airy sound; so if I went in the etherial direction- I'd go with electrostats.

What I loved about the Hedd one was that IMHO it really combined both approaches better than any other technology I ever heard.

Have you tried LCD-5?

Well I obviously disagree, but through my journey in audio so far, I just learn to appreciate things, even something I dislike at first. I just want to try understand why the designer tune the headphone in a certain way. i can understand you may dislike Meze sound, not a problem.

Btw, have you tried to compared Hedd V1 and V2?

----

A little update about Hedd V2, the cable included in packaging sounds dry, thin and a bit harsh. Of course Hedd already stated they would provided newer and better cable for free, so not a problem there. I changed the cable with 19AWG OCC Copper from local cable store here (around $200). The improvement is definitely not subtle, especially in soundstage size, focus imaging, smoothness and deliver more impact on percussion notes.

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #4,329 of 4,472
Have you tried LCD-5?
I have. My assessment is the same as so so many others. SUPERB technicalities- terrible tuning. I prefer no equalizing, although I am willing to do minimal equalizing if absolutely necessary. To retune the LCD-5 requires mega equalizing...... Although- I may consider trying again as my system has changed alot sinc I had it

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #4,330 of 4,472
Have you tried LCD-5?

Well I obviously disagree, but through my journey in audio so far, I just learn to appreciate things, even something I dislike at first. I just want to try understand why the designer tune the headphone in a certain way. i can understand you may dislike Meze sound, not a problem.

----

A little update about Hedd V2, the cable included in packaging sounds dry, thin and a bit harsh. Of course Hedd already stated they would provided newer and better cable for free, so not a problem there. I changed the cable with 19AWG OCC Copper from local cable store here (around $200). The improvement is definitely not subtle, especially in soundstage size, focus imaging, smoothness and deliver more impact on percussion notes.
Care to share a link to your cable seller?

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #4,331 of 4,472
Have you tried LCD-5?

----

Haven't tried HEDDphone V2 yet. Not in a hurry as I love V1

Nov 29, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #4,332 of 4,472
Ultimate cable came from Custom Cans today. It's a beauty, probably the best I've had in terms of construction.

DSC_0266.JPG

DSC_0267.JPG

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #4,334 of 4,472
I contacted Hedd Audio about purchasing new earpads shipped to the USA. Earpads are $35.30. Shipping by UPS is $52.95. Total is $$88.25. Pad price is reasonable. Shipping is very unreasonable. I told Hedd they should have someone in the USA selling parts. I know UPS is reliable, but why couldn't they just mail the earpads? I have purchased many vacuum tubes from Europe and they shipped to me via mail and were less than $20. Also think USA dealers should be selling earpads. Going to have to find some Chinese or possibly Brainwavz pads that will work. Also going to ask Hedd if they can use mail instead of UPS.

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #4,335 of 4,472
I contacted Hedd Audio about purchasing new earpads shipped to the USA. Earpads are $35.30. Shipping by UPS is $52.95. Total is $$88.25. Pad price is reasonable. Shipping is very unreasonable. I told Hedd they should have someone in the USA selling parts. I know UPS is reliable, but why couldn't they just mail the earpads? I have purchased many vacuum tubes from Europe and they shipped to me via mail and were less than $20. Also think USA dealers should be selling earpads. Going to have to find some Chinese or possibly Brainwavz pads that will work. Also going to ask Hedd if they can use mail instead of UPS.
Unfortunately that is the current price to ship the cheapest insured package from germany to the US.

Imo they should ship a batch of pads to US distributors so that you can get them from there

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back