HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Feb 4, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #3,241 of 4,489
No definitely not giving up on the RME: the built-in equalizer and the crossfeed are fantastic features that I would miss.
Good point about the direct switching: no, I can't easily switch between the two amps, I have to disconnect and reconnect the headphones and that is not immediate. The RME has also a loud mechanical switch when I plug the phones, no way I can try a blind test with the help of my wife.
I've level matched the amps with a microphone and pink noise.
And no, haven't played much with the digital filter, something else to play with.

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #3,242 of 4,489
No definitely not giving up on the RME: the built-in equalizer and the crossfeed are fantastic features that I would miss.
Good point about the direct switching: no, I can't easily switch between the two amps, I have to disconnect and reconnect the headphones and that is not immediate. The RME has also a loud mechanical switch when I plug the phones, no way I can try a blind test with the help of my wife.
I've level matched the amps with a microphone and pink noise.
And no, haven't played much with the digital filter, something else to play with.
I’ve built my own A/B boxes, but something like this works well, for connection cut some cables and use the clamps:
https://smile.amazon.de/Dynavox-AMP...lautsprecher+umschalter&qid=1612459017&sr=8-4

For level matching every medium quality multimeter with 4 digit resolution 200mV AC voltage range can be used.

Level matching with a microphone and level meter (i.e. a smartphone with app) is a valid option too.
Sinewave as a source, BTW, is easier to read than Pink Noise in this case.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #3,243 of 4,489
I'm using the USB input of the Hugo (Macbook -> Audirvana -> Hugo 2), I don't think it's a source issue.
As for the HEKse, I've never heard it, I'm sure it's a fantastic headphone, but it's way over my budget.
Oh, no reason why that source should struggle. Just for grins you might try driving it via Bluetooth -- should sound about the same. Meanwhile, I'll try that Bartok on my system tonight. Just feels odd that you should have such a different impression of the H2 ==> Hedd paring. Are you using the stock cable?

Agree, HEKse is pricey. I paid about $1k more for my used HEKse than for my used Hedd. But I sold my HEKv2, so (treating my HEKv2 money as 'sunk cost') I only had to add another $600 to get to the HEKse. See how easy it is to justify spending silly amounts of money :)

Arya?

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #3,244 of 4,489
That is a great alternative, you’re right. I wanted the HEDD (and I’m very pleased with it!) because I wanted something different to keep along the Ananda. Having the Ananda and the Arya didn’t make much sense...maybe upgrading the Ananda to the Arya, but then I wanted a second pair of headphones 😀
As for the Bartok quartet, try to get hold of the Arcadia Quartet version or the Takacs, these are my two reference recordings

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #3,245 of 4,489
Quick amp update: I'm demoing two source/amps with the HEDDphone and trying to figure out if I my RME is a potential bottle neck.
I've ordered a Burson Conduction 3 Reference, but is not available at the moment and a Performance has been sent instead. The other one is the Chord Hugo 2.

Let' start with the Hugo first: I'm a bit puzzled by its build quality, for the price I was expecting something more substantial. The sounds is...how shall I put it? not to my liking :)
It does sound rough, edgy and not impressive at all. I feel the instruments timbre (especially strings) is unnatural. It's not a volume or gain problem, I can't pass the green light, louder than that and it sounds offensive to my ears. It will probably go back to the dealer at the end of the week.

The Conductor on the other hand is piquing my interest: it drives both the Ananda and the HEDDphone nicely, with authority. The HEDD has a live feeling now, with the RME it feels like a recording, with the Burson it's more like a live concert. It seems a bit muted on top and I'm missing the crossfeed of the RME but I'm enjoying it. Don't know if the Reference is going to be even better but even the Performance seems a good combo (as someone in this thread already mentioned).

For reference Bartók 3rd String Quartet sounds great on the Conductor...by the way any metal fan should give Bartók a listen

Try an optical connection into H2, in case you are getting a lot of RFI noise. Also, when you go to the dealer, see if you can audition a TT2 with the HEDD. You may just not like he Chord sound (very detailed and transparent).

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #3,246 of 4,489
For all those who might have comfort issues with the heddphone (my head starts to burn under the headband after an our as the headband seems to narrow), here is a cool solution. This is the ZMF co-pilot pad. You won't get it wrapped around the hedd's headband in total as it's too small. Instead of the regular use I just attached one side with double-sided tape to the HEDD. Now the weight is spreaded to a much wider area of the head. No more burning head. Feels absolutely perfect and comfy - get it on!

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_153722.jpg
    IMG_20210205_153722.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210205_153052.jpg
    IMG_20210205_153052.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210205_161214.jpg
    IMG_20210205_161214.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #3,247 of 4,489
Wow! These headphones are heavy as hell. I love the sound, but after 1-hour max they need to come off. I can stand them for longer than that. I don't exactly have a small head can't see how others with a smaller head, neck are coping with these.. I'm dreading what they would be like in the summer months here in the UK. I want headphones I could wear for hours, and no matter how good they sound the weight is a big issue for me. So they're going back and am getting the Meze Empyrean as a replacement.

Really wish I could have kept them. For the price, they do sound amazing, but headphones are supposed to disappear when you're wearing them on your head. These ones definitely don't do that.

Feb 6, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #3,248 of 4,489
Wow! These headphones are heavy as hell. I love the sound, but after 1-hour max they need to come off. I can stand them for longer than that. I don't exactly have a small head can't see how others with a smaller head, neck are coping with these.. I'm dreading what they would be like in the summer months here in the UK. I want headphones I could wear for hours, and no matter how good they sound the weight is a big issue for me. So they're going back and am getting the Meze Empyrean as a replacement.

Really wish I could have kept them. For the price, they do sound amazing, but headphones are supposed to disappear when you're wearing them on your head. These ones definitely don't do that.
Funny that I’m saying this but I had the same thoughts when I first got these headphones. But I don’t know how, for some odd reason, I got used to it 😂
There’s something magical with the HEDDphone that with time they get easier to wear.
I’m telling you!!!
I don’t know how to explain it logically but that’s the reality!

Feb 6, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #3,249 of 4,489
Funny that I’m saying this but I had the same thoughts when I first got these headphones. But I don’t know how, for some odd reason, I got used to it 😂
There’s something magical with the HEDDphone that with time they get easier to wear.
I’m telling you!!!
I don’t know how to explain it logically but that’s the reality!

It happened to me too, one time..If you use it most of the time, your head will get used to it. Three months ago when I had a chance to AB-ed the Utopia and the Hedd, I thought my more expensive Utopia is a not so well built headphone (which is actually in contrary because the utopia build is exquisite). To make is short, in my mind the utopia is a lesser product just by the build. It is indeed the getting to use to it scenario where you will enjoy the product itself.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #3,250 of 4,489
These are definitely not headphones for long listening sessions, I agree. But they are also sooo good in capturing the recording details and the musicians interpretation.
If I want simply to sit down and relax with some music I wear the Ananda, but if I want to do some critical listenings then the HEDD is my choice...just in small doses!

Feb 11, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #3,251 of 4,489
How do Focal Utopia and HEDDphone compare?

I have Utopia and I have been thinking strongly about the HEDDphone, because I have speakers and have AMT technology. I find their sound impressive.

I confess to being scared with the 718g headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #3,252 of 4,489
Speaking of comfort, I have to say the main issue with these headphones is not the weight but the headband that causes some burning feeling on a very specific spot on the top of my head.
Also, strangely enough, I find the pads of the Ananda hotter, my ears are sweating with them, but not with the HEDD.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #3,253 of 4,489
Speaking of comfort, I have to say the main issue with these headphones is ... the headband that causes some burning feeling on a very specific spot on the top of my head...
Same here, though not as bad as it was with RAD-0. I'm gonna see if my ZMF Pilot pad or Co-Pilot pad help.

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #3,254 of 4,489
How do Focal Utopia and HEDDphone compare?

I have Utopia and I have been thinking strongly about the HEDDphone, because I have speakers and have AMT technology. I find their sound impressive.

I confess to being scared with the 718g headphone.
They are heavy, no question. Utopia is way more comfortable than Hedd -- comparable to comfort of HEKse, nearly as comfortable as Empyrean.

Utopia and Hedd will certainly give you a 'range' of sound.

Looking at your gear sig, I see V281 & GSX mini. Do you prefer the V281 w/ Utopia? It will be interesting to see which you prefer w/ Hedd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back