HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #2,731 of 4,478
LCML,
Thank you for the comparisons.

The bass with the S.M.S.L. is a bit weightier/denser, but not as well-defined [compared to the 3F]. [SMSL] treble is appreciably harder and midrange not nearly as clean/transparent.

Volume dial at 12:15 for the 3F is probably a more comfortable, but just as informative, SPL, now that you brought it up. I think I can up the output voltage from the Qutest.

Am listening to America on Tidal Masters and could be quite happy with the HEDD/3F pairing for good while. Bass is not deficient, but I feel that perhaps it is not optimal, either, or completely revealing of the HEDDphone's low frequency capabilities.

That said, I have heard signal bass response driving the HEDD with the Qinpu A-1.0X. My hope is the the Sophia integrated will exact the best of everything from the HEDDphone.

Thanks again!

pataburd

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #2,732 of 4,478
Something special about these balanced.
wow!!!

Ive been single ending, which is phenomenal BUT WOW!!!!
Optical CD to the RME ADI PRO....this is what these phones were made for...pure source, pure HUGE power. It all makes sense after watching the ZOOM of how these were developed and understanding how they work and they are demanding and unforgiving....but give them what they’re made for and you have all you need.

I have all I need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Aug 30, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,733 of 4,478
Woo Audio WA5 2nd Gen (or the LE) on High power, high gain, low impedance setting delivers that incredible bass control and gigantic slam with the HEDD, and the best I've heard so far, even better than the GSX-MK2. I suggest not to pair the HEDD with the GSX-mini as it doesn't give the HEDD justice in the bass department (and across the frequency board for that matter) than both those two amps. Worst DAC/amp I've heard the HEDD to my preferences is the Hugo TT2 's HP out: way too weak for HEDD to wake it up.
Really? The TT2 is one of the most powerful headphone amps out there. I'm using the TT2+HMS now with the HEDD and it's very good.

Finally, Marcus Downey's review of dCS Barktok with comparison to HugoTT2+HMS confirmed what I'm hearing with HEDD from HEDD pairing with the Hugo2TT. HEDD's synergy with Hugo2TT's HP out is just pretty poor with lacking micro-dynamics (a sign of bad synergy and not necessarily underpowered). If you do have the TT2 I highly recommend to pair an amp that brings the same signature to Hedd similar to what was described with the Bartok synergy.
https://headfonics.com/dcs-bartok-review/2/
With the HeDDphones what you want to hear is that signature subterranean bass it is capable of. Both units perform do brilliantly in terms of pulling out an excellent low-end extension from this pairing.

However, the stock TT2 sounds more neutral to my ear in terms of quantity and forwardness. Not that the Bartok is a bass machine it just so happens the HeDDphones forte is incredible bass and that is where you hear a big difference between these two.

The Bartok sounds richer, slightly warmer, and more natural-sounding in its bass timbre, and well, to be honest, that liquid tone extends throughout the curve. More than that the dynamic range on the Bartok is that bit more convincing. Spatial cues leap out at you, the staging is more complex yet at the same time, it holds onto that wonderfully natural tone not once sounding artificial in its delivery.

The TT2 on the other hand is the cleaner, lighter in delivery, and perhaps a ‘faster sound’ with very precise placement. You could make an argument that is the more linear of the two in terms of how it sounds with the HeDDphones with a neutral to slightly warm tone throughout the mids and into the treble. It is prim and proper with nothing out of place.

Yet, it lacks the ‘drive’ or PRaT of the more physical and punchy Bartok sound. The Bartok/HeDDphones just fleshes things out a bit more, offering more body throughout. Vocals have more authority, bass guitar plucks have tons of wonderful sustain or body without a hint of smear.

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2,734 of 4,478
Finally, Marcus Downey's review of dCS Barktok with comparison to HugoTT2+HMS confirmed what I'm hearing with HEDD from HEDD pairing with the Hugo2TT. HEDD's synergy with Hugo2TT's HP out is just pretty poor with lacking micro-dynamics (a sign of bad synergy and not necessarily underpowered). If you do have the TT2 I highly recommend to pair an amp that brings the same signature to Hedd similar to what was described with the Bartok synergy.
https://headfonics.com/dcs-bartok-review/2/

Try an ADI PRO balanced with silver OCC

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #2,735 of 4,478
Try an ADI PRO balanced with silver OCC

If I ever get a chance to demo it with HEDD, I'll definitely do. I'll probably be amazed to on how authoritative yet well controlled that the ADI balanced with OCC silver would be. For me, what was described by Marcus on how HEDD should sound is what I also prefer since I've heard how well the HEDD synergizes with specific amps that I've demoed.

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #2,736 of 4,478
If I ever get a chance to demo it with HEDD, I'll definitely do. I'll probably be amazed to on how authoritative yet well controlled that the ADI balanced with OCC silver would be. For me, what was described by Marcus on how HEDD should sound is what I also prefer since I've heard how well the HEDD synergizes with specific amps that I've demoed.

This is a PRO audio product made for studios so it is pure clean and powerful, even in single ended. Has a TON of features I don’t even use but is the BEST amp around IMO...what you get...if it had an XLR Bal HP OUT it would be perfect.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #2,739 of 4,478
Sophia integrated arrived today. Am running with all stock tubes and it sounds quite good. Have a matched pair and matched quad of upgrade tubes to try later.
Sounds very good with the HEDDphone and the ADX5000, too(!) [but there is some background hum with the ADX].
Beautiful, tube-induced timbre. Detailed highs, transparent mids, and bass is very good.
Hope to report back later with some pictures.
: )

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #2,740 of 4,478
Sophia integrated arrived today. Am running with all stock tubes and it sounds quite good. Have a matched pair and matched quad of upgrade tubes to try later.
Sounds very good with the HEDDphone and the ADX5000, too(!) [but there is some background hum with the ADX].
Beautiful, tube-induced timbre. Detailed highs, transparent mids, and bass is very good.
Hope to report back later with some pictures.
: )
Ant pics Pat???

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #2,742 of 4,478
The Sophia is fast, with a very detailed treble--lots of inner, sometimes startling, detail; a pristine, detailed midrange and a lively, very well-defined but unobtrusive bass.

Listened to CDs tonight [on a Ric Schultz modded Sony BDP-S780]:

[a] Best of Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, Vol. 2
Pat Metheny: "Letter from Home"
[c] Emerson, Lake and Palmer [their first album of the same name, remastered]. This Sophia surprised me with how well it delivered these alternative rock tracks. I listened to "Lucky Man" twice, it was so well presented.
[d] Mose Allison: "V-8 Ford Blues"

Deo volente, I plan to retube tomorrow and listen with Tidal and the Chord Qutest. I want to listen to The Dave Brubeck Quartet: "Time Out".

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,744 of 4,478
your excitement is so contagious even your text responded with elation!

how long do you listen on average @pataburd ? Do you multitask, like read/write? Or do you just stare forward and study the music? Eyes closed, etc?

Just curious because you seem to be well connected to (and discerining of) the presentations of each combination you experiment with.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #2,745 of 4,478
The bold format was imposed on my text without my authorization. From time to time, the formatting inexplicably misfires, apparently at random, when I am PM-ing or posting to the threads. Don't know if it is [my] computer- or [this] website-related.

If I were to subdivide a "typical" hour's listening, it would probably break down into 40-45 minutes of incidental listening [while I am working on the computer, on the web etc.] and 15-20 minutes of critical listening. Although, even while listening casually, I will intermittently "re-surface" and [episodically] be engaged in critical listening.

The Sophia arrived with heavy expectation, so I was more adamant than usual to listen critically [and determine whether my money--and my anxiety--were well spent]. I carved out a 2-3 hour block last night expressly to scrutinize the Sophia/HEDDphone pairing. Plus, after talking to the former owner and already having read a few online reviews about the Sophia, I did have a frame of reference for what I might expect. and that is pretty much what I, too, heard: remarkable high frequency detail [some of the best I have heard--and I am a "treble head" of sorts]; clear, detailed and non-euphonic midrange; lively, well-defined but unobtrusive bass. The treble/midrange forwardness of the amp [and the slightly dialed back nature of the bass] allowed me to hear some high frequency detail that was [to use a popular phrase] "scary good" [like: "it sounds like something or someone is actually in the room with me" but it was coming from the recording].

Plus, I have been at this [i.e. audio and/or listening to headphones] for decades: it all started with a set of Burwin Research PMB-6(?) headphones long ago. I have also been through a "dedicated listening room" phase with a roomful of big gear [that cost more than both our cars].

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back