HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #1,636 of 4,480
What about the previous buyers?
I don't expect the seller or manufacturer to swap all previous sold headphones for new ones, as these previous sold are not broken or defective.
The buyers had the time window to test and if not fitting, return them to the seller.
But maybe the seller is very accommodating and will swap them :wink: Still that would be a loss for seller and manufacturer.
Taron has clarified that HEDD will be providing previous owners with the option for an extended headband.
What this looks like, we still don't know.

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #1,637 of 4,480
Asking if the "timbre is good for resolution and sound stage characteristic" is like asking if the bass is good for sound stage and detail retrieval.
Very very far off, kinda understandable what you mean; still wrong usage of terminology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre "The tonal character of an instrument".
It is just an objective description how something - a tone, be it from an real instrument or equalizer or whatever - sounds.

So of course it affects imaging, as x other sound characteristics do, as it is comprised of x sound characteristics. The same with sound stage, resolution etc.

"Hi-hats also don't sound like hats. Tonally they do ..." That is more of a correct usage of terminology :relaxed:
I guess you were asking if the overall timbre of the heddphone, consisting of x aspects as tonality and sound signature, is making hi-hats really sound like hi-hats in real life? As those two are the biggest aspects that make hi-hat not sound like those in real life.
If that was the question: Yes. Very balanced sound signature and natural sound, which leads to a very realistic (like listening with own ears) sound presentation.
You're just being extremely pedantic. Words have more than one definition as I've shown above and the word timbre is redundant if it just means tonality in the case of headphones. IT DOESN'T.

The difference is this: say you have two completely different headphones and you EQ them to sound more or less the same, but one can reproduce piano notes and instruments in general more clearly and the other one sounds more hazy in terms of overall instrument definition. Funny thing is, the former is technically less detailed than the latter but it sounds sharper/more focused in the way it represents instruments. I (and many other audiophiles) call that timbre.

Apr 4, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,638 of 4,480
You're just being extremely pedantic. Words have more than one definition as I've shown above and the word timbre is redundant if it just means tonality in the case of headphones. IT DOESN'T.

The difference is this: say you have two completely different headphones and you EQ them to sound more or less the same, but one can reproduce piano notes and instruments in general more clearly and the other one sounds more hazy in terms of overall instrument definition. Funny thing is, the former is technically less detailed than the latter but it sounds sharper/more focused in the way it represents instruments. I (and many other audiophiles) call that timbre.
The generally accepted definitions are : The ability to reproduce the the source in an by conveying as much of the information is called resolution. The ability to accurately convey the true sound of the instruments is called Ttmbre. A headphone like an HD650 can have great sense of timbre but only decent resolution compared to a TOTL can. On the other hand a really expensive headphone that can accurately reproduce the source information meaning dynamics, nuances (raspy voice) and soundspace air, can have trouble with accurately sounding like the real instrument.....ie the nylon string guitar sounds like a steal string, the piano sounds off and the cymbals sound fizzy. TLDR; Resolution is the "Detail" and the Timbre is the "Tone".

Apr 4, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #1,639 of 4,480
The generally accepted definitions are : The ability to reproduce the the source in an by conveying as much of the information is called resolution. The ability to accurately convey the true sound of the instruments is called Ttmbre. A headphone like an HD650 can have great sense of timbre but only decent resolution compared to a TOTL can. On the other hand a really expensive headphone that can accurately reproduce the source information meaning dynamics, nuances (raspy voice) and soundspace air, can have trouble with accurately sounding like the real instrument.....ie the nylon string guitar sounds like a steal string, the piano sounds off and the cymbals sound fizzy. TLDR; Resolution is the "Detail" and the Timbre is the "Tone".
Timbre actually describes more than tone even by your own definition. That's why the same piano note sounds different from the same guitar note.

"TOTL" is a subjective term too. HD650 is a great example of my point. It actually portrays instruments fairly realistically despite lacking detail. My LCD-2F sounds crappy in that regard by comparison even though it is clearly more detailed. I hear tiny details on the LCD-2 more but the overall picture of a instrument is fuzzy and this happens even if you EQ it to sound fairly similar to an HD650 or EQ both to a generic target like Harman. I guess you could call it clarity but then people would just be confused and ask me if I mean detail/resolution, which I obviously don't.

The point of the original question was to ask if the HEDDphone has clarity which also manifests itself in sharper imaging (as opposed to images that are kinda there and sometimes overlap but never sound sharp enough).

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,640 of 4,480
Timbre actually describes more than tone even by your own definition. That's why the same piano note sounds different from the same guitar note.

Middle C on a piano sounds different from middle C on a guitar because they have a different timbre. That is a textbook example of timbre.

Mixman is spot on and explained the differences between timbre and resolution very well.

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,641 of 4,480
Middle C on a piano sounds different from middle C on a guitar because they have a different timbre. That is a textbook example of timbre.

Mixman is spot on and explained the differences between timbre and resolution very well.
I think his point is that timbre is a difference in undertones/overtones in the case of instruments, which is a valid point but that doesn't mean words can't have multiple definitions. The English dictionary recognizes that the word has more than one definition.

Also, I've made a poll in the Facebook group and not surprisingly people agree with "my" definition: https://www.facebook.com/groups/headfi.org/10158352064859736

Apr 4, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,642 of 4,480
Funny thing, just when i was thinking about getting something more adequate to drive the Heddphone, a Burson C3 turns up on my doorstep. Also, somebody seems to have plundered my checking account. Well, i guess you have to take the good with the bad. At least first impressions a very promising.

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,643 of 4,480
Swapping headbands? Very accomodating!

@mixman
TLDR; Resolution is the "Detail" ...
I've tried to explained it in more detail in my review^^

Resolution and detail are linked.
Resolution is an objective ability of the transducer to reproduce the details (layers of information, details, nuances etc.).
With resolution I describe the objective ability of a transducer to reproduce the source information exactly as it is.
The information is either reproduced, or it isn't - it is audible, or not.

Detail is more of an subjective term, psychoacoustics. It depends and is affected by things like the frequency curve and all other sound characteristics, the listeners physiognomy (head, ears size/shape) and how he listens/or how well (for example Equal-loudness contour), the headphones build (materials, earpads etc.), or the amplifier/Dac etc.
So while 3 headphones can be very close in terms of resolution - or exactly the same -, the perceived details from low - high frequencies can be quite different.
If every of the 3 headphones can reproduce a specific tone (regardless how quite/loud or easy/hard audible it is), for example a low 200 Hz tone, they have in that regard the same resolution, but that doesn't mean that the perceived detail for that specific tone will be the same for the listener.

Dealux, reading your post Post #1,637 I think you're misleading yourself here, by using that comparison " ... and you EQ them to sound more or less the same, but one can reproduce piano notes and instruments in general more clearly and the other one sounds more hazy in terms of overall instrument definition".
Measuring the timbre of a tone - in this case the headphone which reproduces it -, is not done by measuring, comparing or equalizing (though that way it is obviously psossible to get closer to the same timbre) the frequency response graph or comparing to get 100 % validity.
It is precisely done as shown in the wikipedia picture, by making a spectogram of this specific tone, with instruments as optical spectrometer, a bank of band-pass filters, by Fourier transform or by a wavelet transform
And if, for example, the timbre of both headphones is measured, the spectrum of their frequencies, and these both are exactly the same (really 100 %) the same, than the timbre of that specific tone reproduces by the headphone should be exactly or close to the same (differences would be there due to the build material, earpads etc.).

The point of the original question was to ask if the HEDDphone has clarity which also manifests itself in sharper imaging (as opposed to images that are kinda there and sometimes overlap but never sound sharp enough).
Your questions are already answered :beerchug:

Other wikipedia translations in different languages tell similar.
"... one of the parameters of the individual sound in music. Timbre is determined by its sound spectrum, i.e. the specific mixture of fundamental or 1st partial, overtones and noise components, as well as the temporal course of this spectrum, the volume and other parameters."
Or the definition in french "The timbre designates all of the sound characteristics that identify an instrument ..."

The definition is objective made by professionals, scientist and people in that field, no room for subjective interpretation. So making a facebook-poll confirms that there are other who do not use the term correctly.
Eventually it is a disservice for us all, since communication becomes harder and definitions arbitrary and blurred (especially bad since this whole field is already mixed with paraphrases, made-up definitions and visual metaphors).
I guess somewhere along the line audiophiles just made-up their own subjective interpretation, the "quality-timbre" and now mix it up with other sound characteristics. :relaxed:

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,645 of 4,480
From 0 to pi? I'm not that good in math to calculate a specific circle line of a sphere :sweat_smile:
But remembering how it fit me, I say an additional 1 cm on each side, depending on head shape and ears, could fit easily up to head circumference of 67+ cm.

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #1,646 of 4,480
From 0 to pi? I'm not that good in math to calculate a specific circle line of a sphere :sweat_smile:
But remembering how it fit me, I say an additional 1 cm on each side, depending on head shape and ears, could fit easily up to head circumference of 67+ cm.
Lol.

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,647 of 4,480
Question: Could an Astell&Kern SA700 portable digital music player drive the HEDDphone well? The manufacturer's spec. simply says the SA700 puts out a maximum of 2Vrms single ended. I think a Woo Audio WA6SE tube amp would put out enough - its specification says a maximum of 2w at 60-30 ohms. Output impedances are about 1.6 ohms for the SA700, whereas the Woo is about 15 ohms.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #1,649 of 4,480
Since the newer headband is now shipping how much of a difference will 1cm per side be?

That 1 cm is about .39 inch. Makes sense to me that it will be a big help, similar to the surgery I had a few years ago to raise my ears 3/8” on each side. I’ve never looked back, and I can get great fit and positioning with all cans now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #1,650 of 4,480
A total of 2cm. :beyersmile:
Lol, funny. But, seriously. I hope they fit. Because once I can financially take a hit on a headphone I’ll just go with these. I loved the sound. And that was off of the Hugo2 which I don’t even really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back