HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Apr 1, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #1,606 of 4,488
Unfortunately it is. Try to find a few frequency-response measurements and to decide which is the most plausible to your ears, then start with some plausible corrections according to this template (take care if it's compensated or not!). Use rather fine steps.

Fortunately the recommended bass boost will provide you with your first easy reward, as I see it.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #1,609 of 4,488
In fact equalizing can remove graininess – it has done so with my HE1000 (V1), and even the «se», which is less affected by this trait, has become smoother and more coherent. Of course you have to choose a compensating curve representing the exact inversion of the original amplitude response (as close as possible), which implies the choice of the matching Q factor with a parametric equalizer for every single frequency band. It's not the equalizer that's responsible for a disappointing result, but the operator

I agree 100 percent. another headfier who doesn't see EQ as taboo!

I'd also add that only top tier EQ can provide the most transparent results . Ie dmg equilibrium or fab filter pro-q. Yes there is more computational power required but being done with 64 bit precision does make a difference. Being able to control the phase of each filter is also a plus.

I've never met a pair of headphones lot earphones that didn't have some high frequency response skew. It's physics ... Impossible to have a flat response above 4k when sound is trapped in such a small enclosure. EQ corrects these imperfections. What's more, corrects them to align with the individual's unique anatomy!

Nulling out peaks and valleys of treble response with inverted compensation curve makes treble as smooth as speakers!

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #1,610 of 4,488
How would that be theoretically possible other than if the HEDD had really low wonky impedance and there was a large difference in output impedance between the tube and SS amps?

The list of theoretically measurable parameters that theoretically (and actually) cause the profoundly different sounds produced by various tube designs as compared to various solid state designs include: bandwidth, phase shift, rise time and fall time on transients, ringing on transients, harmonic and intermodulation distortions, their frequency distribution, and the more important time related distortions caused by things like feedback, dielectric absorption in capacitors, and skin effect; the list goes on.

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,611 of 4,488
Another way to EQ would be to listen to the FR directly, and then do corrections off what you hear. You can use a pre-recorded sine sweep, or something like this. Listen for where the peaks and dips are, make adjustments, and repeat until the FR audibly evens out. The biggest thing to remember is to not over-EQ, putting too many high-Q adjustments next to each other is going to degrade sound quality no matter what. It's something of a compromise - you gain SQ for fixing the FR, but you lose SQ for over-EQing, so you need to find a good middle ground.

Also, dips are generally less audible than peaks, and gradual changes in FR are very hard to hear over a sine sweep or test tone generator. It takes some training. So some combination of using measurements and going by ear will probably give you the best results. But listening is important - no test rig is exactly the same as your ears.

I've heard a lot of "well if this headphone costs so much, it better be perfect" arguments over the years but not a single headphone, no matter how much it costs, has ever been perfect. Realistically, everything can benefit from some judiciously applied EQ, though to me a select few headphones sound just fine without it (i.e. HD650). They're very much in the minority though.

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,612 of 4,488
Actually sine sweeps are not the best idea. Better would be pink noise, although the result is harder to interpret. The problem is that a headphone with equal perceived loudness throughout the frequency range would sound off with music. Remember the (Harman-Olive) target response curve which calls for an accentuation of the upper mids!

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,614 of 4,488
Hi!
Has anybody tried the Hedds with an Cavalli Liquid Fire?

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #1,615 of 4,488
Listening to some Queen tonight with my HEDDphones and DAVE (on Qobuz) and Freddie's voice has never sounded better! Simply spectacular! Tonality, texturing, details and sense of air are off the charts!

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #1,617 of 4,488
Tonality, texturing, details and sense of air are off the charts!
Why did I not hear this in any way with my pair, nor did 3 other Head-Fi members hear this?
Definitely thinking there was something wrong with the pair I received after reading almost all positive impressions.
Glad you're enjoying them so much!

EDIT: This was via my WA33, GS-X and Citadel Custom using an Audeze XLR cable.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #1,618 of 4,488
Why did I not hear this in any way with my pair, nor did 3 other Head-Fi members hear this?
Definitely thinking there was something wrong with the pair I received after reading almost all positive impressions.

Hopefully we do not have the Audeze type unit to unit variability going on here.

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #1,619 of 4,488

Since you've returned them, why not ask Taron to chime in here to provide clarity.

Apr 2, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #1,620 of 4,488
Since you've returned them, why not ask Taron to chime in here to provide clarity.
I've only read maybe 2 other posts similar to my experience with the HEDD.
It wouldn't hurt for Taron to chime in. I have experience with almost all TOTL headphone with my current system and have had no issues relating to others experiences with this exception. I'm currently listening to my newly acquired HD800 via WA33 single ended and they sound fantastic. I just didn't get this at all with the HEDD in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back