HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #1,576 of 4,489
Let's just agree that tastes differ, to me, they can sound a bit harsh on my two solid state amps.

I agree on this. I'm not sure what it is, but both my friend and I thought the same. On my THX 887, they sounded really harsh but on the Cavalli Liquid Gold, well... it sounded like liquid gold. I know it's not a fair comparison, but the THX 887 is supposedly one of the best amps created in terms of transparency. I just think maybe the Heddphones were tuned for not-so-transparent amps.

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #1,579 of 4,489
Yeahhh it's probably the smoothest and most musical ss amp I've ever heard. A lot of ss amps tend to be a over resolving to me (mainly pointing fingers at THX amps) but this one was amazing. I guess that's what $4k can buy
I think Monoprice is coming up with a shrunken down version of it and bringing the price down to $1k. Only downside is that it's a dac/amp and not just an amp. Hopefully it sounds close to the original

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #1,580 of 4,489
If you're looking at a musical ss amp, take a look at some R2R dac/amp combos. :wink:

At the Audio GD R28, for example, you can choose detailed or relaxed sounding by picking the right dac-mode.
With plenty of power, there's no way to running out of juice.

And this all for at least $1300. No need to spend so much hard earned money to reach your sweet spot, imo.

Mar 31, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,582 of 4,489
I've been really thinking about r2r dacs but I guess I'll have to hear one to believe the "r2r magic". Does the Audio GD R28 suffer from a high noise floor? I honestly didn't think the NFB 11.28 was that bad but I could tell it was noisier than my THX 887 (might not be a fair comparison)

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #1,585 of 4,489
I've been really thinking about r2r dacs but I guess I'll have to hear one to believe the "r2r magic". Does the Audio GD R28 suffer from a high noise floor? I honestly didn't think the NFB 11.28 was that bad but I could tell it was noisier than my THX 887 (might not be a fair comparison)
No, it doesn't listening wise. :wink:

Let me transform this question to another example.
Does a tube amp, or the listening satisfaction, suffer from increased distortions?

On mostly all modern ss-devices noise floor is far from audible range, imo.
Otherwise there'll be a defect or crap construction.

The NFB 11.28 isn't a r2r dac and i didn't have an audition, so i can't compare these devices. :frowning2:
But i do own a 10.33 at the moment. And this is a monster, even with the T1.
Clean power with very neutral presentation. There's no higher noise floor audible.

I want to say that you've to hear this devices personally, like most of the discussed devices in here. ^^

Apr 1, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,586 of 4,489

Does a tube amp, or the listening satisfaction, suffer from increased distortions?

The NFB 11.28 isn't a r2r dac and i didn't have an audition, so i can't compare these devices. :frowning2:
Clean power with very neutral presentation. There's no higher noise floor audible.

I want to say that you've to hear this devices personally, like most of the discussed devices in here. ^^

I think r2r is my next stop!

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,587 of 4,489

Tubes add character
SS are much more neutral

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #1,588 of 4,489
Character = distortion.

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,590 of 4,489
I wouldn't say that solid-state amps are «much more neutral» than tube amps. After all you won't find two solid-state amps (with different topologies) that sound the same. Certainly in many cases solid-state amps have the better precondition to color the sound less. But no amp is neutral – that's why it's best to renounce them if you can (→ Chord Electronics DAC/«amps»). The downside is that a signal as pure as possible reveals the inevitable tonal flaws within the chain (particularly from the sound transducer) all the more. The good news is that there's a tool to (passably) solve the dilemma: digital equalizers. Since no sound transducer/headphone measures and sounds flat/neutral, it's mandatory if you want to tap the full potential of your system/headphone anyway. Also consider that equalizing corrects both amplitude- and phase-response flaws – which means that every existing amplitude-response nonlinearity of the sound transducer goes parallel to a corresponding phase distortion – whatever the sonic consequences may be. This just to appease the skepticism towards phase distortion caused by equalizers, which in fact is a desirable effect.

For the Heddphone I see some benefit from a broadband increase of ~3 dB below 50 Hz. However, maximizing sound quality according to this approach is absolutely voluntary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back