HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 30, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,037 of 4,478
Remember when it was ready in October then November then December then officially mid January and it's looking like February now? Schiit knows not to promise deadlines for this exact reason. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a brilliant headphone but they should have been honest about the delivery dates and the fact EU should wait as US will get the first batch so EU will have a later official launch. Transparency is all that was needed. Yeah, failed. I get their a small company but not a startup so they have market experience.

Sure. Fair. Yet just because they can't meet demand, does not make their release a flop. Delayed. Sure. Does it grind you? Maybe.

Let's see if their release gets pushed further -- let's also see the driver failures. Then maybe you'd have merit for a launch disaster.

Until then, sit tight, complain louder.

This is the way.

HeadFi.

Jan 30, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,038 of 4,478
I have spoken! (Couldn't help myself.) Love all these Mandalorian references.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,039 of 4,478
I’ve been going to meets for enough years now that despite the fun of listening to great new stuff (like the Heddphone a week ago), there’s nothing out there that I “must have now”. When I get home and sink into my system, I’m reminded that we few audiophools are already enjoying transparency to recorded music that is MILES beyond what millions of mainstream consumers experience. There are a couple of things under consideration by me for this year, but no rush.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,040 of 4,478
Hi there,

I just got an email from Hedd and they confirmed to me that there will be at least two Heddphone One to demo at the Norddeutsche Hifitage tommorow in Hamburg. They plan to show up themselfe and bring a third pair.
Also I was assured that the most important german dealers should have a demo unit in two weeks.
So good news for us Europeans

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,041 of 4,478
Sure. Fair. Yet just because they can't meet demand, does not make their release a flop. Delayed. Sure. Does it grind you? Maybe.

It most definitely looks like the release is a flop(not because the product is bad, but because of lack of inventory). All companies, large or small; need to stack certain amount of inventory before you set up a release date. If you can't release even a 100 headphone on your launch date, then just push it back. It's ok. It's kinda like a game company promising a game in a year or 2, but is only at the planning phase... it's like dude; just don't announce it; do the work behind the scenes; and when you are at a decent phase, maybe 1st beta; maybe 40% completion, you can announce the game, or else; you'll have people waiting for said game forever and it could backfire. For HEDD, there was nothing wrong with pushing back the release date until the Summer; build up a stock; maybe get enough so that you can sell it at multiple venues (amazon, headphone.com, direct to consumers or whatever); but definitely not like this. Even the headphone reviewers, other than Resolve; seem to have not even tried this headphone yet as it is so scarce; it's nearly a paper launch.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,042 of 4,478
I think demand far outstripped their predictions. As someone who got one of the first pre-orders, I can say they are a fantastic headphone. Worth the wait. I think everyone needs a little patience. It's not like they have said it will be six months before orders are filled. Many high end headphones (ZMF) or amps(Glen) have long lead times.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,043 of 4,478
It most definitely looks like the release is a flop(not because the product is bad, but because of lack of inventory). All companies, large or small; need to stack certain amount of inventory before you set up a release date. If you can't release even a 100 headphone on your launch date, then just push it back. It's ok. It's kinda like a game company promising a game in a year or 2, but is only at the planning phase... it's like dude; just don't announce it; do the work behind the scenes; and when you are at a decent phase, maybe 1st beta; maybe 40% completion, you can announce the game, or else; you'll have people waiting for said game forever and it could backfire. For HEDD, there was nothing wrong with pushing back the release date until the Summer; build up a stock; maybe get enough so that you can sell it at multiple venues (amazon, headphone.com, direct to consumers or whatever); but definitely not like this. Even the headphone reviewers, other than Resolve; seem to have not even tried this headphone yet as it is so scarce; it's nearly a paper launch.

Small businesses rarely have the capital to follow the methodology you describe. Those that do have the capital would generally not take the financial risk involved with building up a large inventory of a new product prior to release.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,045 of 4,478
Just spent a week listening to the HEDDphone exclusively. It is a very energetic yet controlled sound. The sound is very fast with quick decay. This gives a exceptionally detailed imaging. Not a huge sound-stage, but well defined. I always enjoyed my Utopia but it could get a hint of metallic tint in the treble. I don't get that with the HEDDphone. And the bass goes deeper and with more elevation compared to the Utopia.

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,046 of 4,478
It's great to read your impressions on the final production version of the HEDDphone.
I heard the pre-production version in Berlin some months ago and it's seems that HEDDaudio managed to improve the deep bass response below 60 Hz by using variable folding techniques of the diaphragm,
just like they promised.
The company's main goal during development was to beat the Sennheiser HD800S in sound quality (and the HifiMan Arya and the Focal Clear, too).

My main concern is the weight of these cans, 718 grams and the comparatively low sensitivity of 87 dB SPL for 1 mW / 42 Ohm. The thick ear cups also get rather hot in summer.

I enjoyed the mids and the treble of the HEDDphone a lot, also the very natural soundstage.

In short a great sounding headphone with some comfort/weight issues.

My recommendation is to drive the HEDDphone balanced, not single-ended, with a powerful headphone amp.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #1,047 of 4,478
Yeah, the comfort is still a problem for me too. The headbands and pads definitely softened up as I expected and isn't TOO tight when I first had it on. But, the pressure/pain develops within 20-30 minutes or 40 (depending on which part of my head it clings onto).

The earpads, on the other hand, I really like. They have the 'almost perfect' clamp that is comfortable for me.

I don't think I am keeping it.

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #1,048 of 4,478
Small businesses rarely have the capital to follow the methodology you describe. Those that do have the capital would generally not take the financial risk involved with building up a large inventory of a new product prior to release.
I think you're right. The more they sell of the initial runs, the faster the subsequent runs will be because they have the capital to produce more at a faster rate. In theory, anyway. Eventually they may make a profit.

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #1,049 of 4,478
Hi Head-fiers, I did listened Heddphones on last weekend on Hifitage 2020 in Hamburg. They were in two rooms, one connected to SPL amp, another to Burson, don't know anything about dacs. So, what I heard... First I have to say what I have and what I had compared. I have Stax L500 with SR-006tA tube amp, and DAC on Sabre9018. As alternative from my beginning I have Monoprice M1060 with custom UP-OCC Neothech 24AWG cable, connected ro Audio-GD NFB28. So... Monoprice cannot be a competitor to HEDD, however Stax can, I think L700 and S007-009 or Voce can play also very fast and detailed, I did listened Voce also together with HEDD, but cannot compare cus Voce was with Mal Valve amp and played different due to amp.
HEDD played very detailed and fast, trebles were more sharp and special, accented. Bass is very low, no any buzzing or rumble, just perfect fast bass. Can't describe more cus english is not my mother language. People in room said 1700 is not so high price for such kind of quality. Top product !
Headband is kind of a problem cus it was on maximum and not enough to me, I mean they were pushing my earlobes a little bit up. Not any pain but just uncomfortable....
readmsg

readmsg

readmsg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #1,050 of 4,478
Man this new forum update really killed the traffic on here. And what is up with always starting with the first post? I hope the bugs get worked out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back