HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 15, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #721 of 4,480
PeteSTRADAMUS, would you recommend the D8000 pro for Electronic Dance music like Dubstep etc. and have you ever had a chance to compare the D8000 pro with the Focal Clear?
I used to own the Clear and the Utopia. They both have a little more slam, but the D8000pro has a deeper bass and bigger soundstage. Clarity is close to the Utopia with the D8000 Pro, for that kind of music, it sounds pretty good.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #722 of 4,480
I used to own the Clear and the Utopia. They both have a little more slam, but the D8000pro has a deeper bass and bigger soundstage. Clarity is close to the Utopia with the D8000 Pro, for that kind of music, it sounds pretty good.
Had the Heddphone not come out, I would have bought the Final D8000 Pro eventually.
But now that the Heddphone is out, I will wait until I have a chance to get a demo to do a comparison.
The price tag is also an issue:
Here in Germany we talk €4200 for the D8000 and €1700 for the Heddphone.
Do you have a demo pair, or did you buy a brand new D8000 pro?

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #723 of 4,480
Had the Heddphone not come out, I would have bought the Final D8000 Pro eventually.
But now that the Heddphone is out, I will wait until I have a chance to get a demo to do a comparison.
The price tag is also an issue:
Here in Germany we talk €4200 for the D8000 and €1700 for the Heddphone.
Do you have a demo pair, or did you buy a brand new D8000 pro?
I have a pair from Final for review. I don't own them. I'm in the process of researching my next pair before I buy my own.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #726 of 4,480
No one here from the London area go to Spirit Audio or whatever that shop is called that has the HEDDphone available for demo?

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #728 of 4,480
No one here from the London area go to Spirit Audio or whatever that shop is called that has the HEDDphone available for demo?

funny you should mention that Ray... :)

I paid Spiritland a visit today to listen to the HEDDphone. Here’s the short review I jotted down whilst on the tube home.

The physical size primed me for a bone shaking wall of bass but the real standout for me was how smooth of a presentation the HEDD engineers have achieved across the entire frequency range.

Sure - on Wallace from the BladeRunner 2049 soundtrack it was able to reach low with no problem at all. Plenty of detail down there as well.

The vocal line of the title track from the live album of Carrie and Lowell came through with an eerie intimacy. Easily the most real I’ve heard vocals sound.

I found impact and dynamics a little lacking - for example on Julian by Jamie Liddell the electric bass line takes center stage whilst the drums don’t have the same punch as say the LCD-3F which remains my favourite over ear to date.

Overall a very nice sounding headphone and an easy pick at its price point if you like a non-fatiguing listen. It hits all the technicalities I look for in a headphone - detail, clarity, separation, tonal quality and timbre - the only thing I found myself wanting was for more slam or punchiness.

I’m gonna go back and listen again when I get the chance - I used a SP1000M to feed a BHA-1 and I think it would have worked a better with balanced input (4V instead of the 2V). They have a rather tasty dCS DAC that I’d like to hear too.

Happy to answer any question or clarify.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #730 of 4,480
Just got a shipment update from headphones.com. If all goes well, it looks like I will have them in my hands tomorrow.
giphy.gif

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #732 of 4,480

I paid Spiritland a visit today to listen to the HEDDphone. Here’s the short review I jotted down whilst on the tube home.

The physical size primed me for a bone shaking wall of bass but the real standout for me was how smooth of a presentation the HEDD engineers have achieved across the entire frequency range.

Sure - on Wallace from the BladeRunner 2049 soundtrack it was able to reach low with no problem at all. Plenty of detail down there as well.

The vocal line of the title track from the live album of Carrie and Lowell came through with an eerie intimacy. Easily the most real I’ve heard vocals sound.

I found impact and dynamics a little lacking - for example on Julian by Jamie Liddell the electric bass line takes center stage whilst the drums don’t have the same punch as say the LCD-3F which remains my favourite over ear to date.

Overall a very nice sounding headphone and an easy pick at its price point if you like a non-fatiguing listen. It hits all the technicalities I look for in a headphone - detail, clarity, separation, tonal quality and timbre - the only thing I found myself wanting was for more slam or punchiness.

I’m gonna go back and listen again when I get the chance - I used a SP1000M to feed a BHA-1 and I think it would have worked a better with balanced input (4V instead of the 2V). They have a rather tasty dCS DAC that I’d like to hear too.

Your description sounds like my perfect headphone (minus the pudge). So the treble was detailed, yet smooth and not etched or grainy? And what did you think about the soundstage?

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #733 of 4,480
Kinki Vision THR-1 or Cayin iHA-6 for HEDDphone amplification? Which one would you choose?

Clean, neutral output? Cayin i-HA6

Slightly tubey, with tons of Dynamics, and lotsa fun? Kinki THR-1 (sounds like an excellent pairing if these lack a little in the dynamics department).

Warm Tubes? Ultrasonic Studio Oblivion (with the impendance switch) (Can drive Susvara very well, supposedly)

Neutral Tubes? Ultrasonic Studio Citadel (with the impendance switch) (More powerful than Oblivion)

How's soundstage with these babies?
These sound like my Endgame, though I don't know about the soundstage (and I simply have nowhere to try them in a 300 mile radius).
[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #734 of 4,480
Your description sounds like my perfect headphone (minus the pudge). So the treble was detailed, yet smooth and not etched or grainy? And what did you think about the soundstage?

Thumbs up on both counts - no etch or grain.

I didn’t make any notes about the stage - the tracks I listened too weren’t great at showing this off. I didn’t note anything unnaturally wide. Hopefully I’ll get some more time with them soon.

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #735 of 4,480
Chord TT2 with the Wells Audio Milo amp.
Hmm, so you are using a Milo with the TT2?
That's interesting to hear.
Before deciding to buy the MScaler I heard it both via TT2 direct and also via Qutest and Milo and I decided not to buy the TT2 and instead keep my Qutest in combination with the MScaler.
That combination sounded more musical than the TT2 on its own to me.

In fact to me ALL Chord dacs need the Mscaler to really shine, even DAVE.
But I am interested to know why you feel the need to add a Milo to the TT2 if you don't have an Mscaler as well?
I would have thought that as far as power is concerned the TT2 would drive anything except electrostats?
During my auditions of TT2 it could drive all the headphones at hand without problem but the actual SQ was as I said better even from a lesser dac like my Qutest with an Mscaler in the chain.
Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back