HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 5, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #422 of 4,488
...Then for some reason unbeknownst to me, it sat most of the rest of the day at the Woo Audio table connected to their small portable tube amp WA8 Eclipse (which pairing I didn't try), and was never tried on the elephant in the room, which was the Woo Audio WA33 tube amp.

The Woo WA8? That also surprises me. The WA8 delivers about 300mW @40ohms. With a sensitivity of 87dB SPL of the HEDDphone that seems to me to be hard on the limit, if not too weak. Hard to believe that the HEDDphone comes to life with this performance.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #423 of 4,488
I'll delete this post if I'm giving away proprietary information, but I was told that HEDD Audio uses "both Lehmann and SPL (Phonitor2) amps" in house. I was hoping they would at least bring their Phonitor 2 amp if it synergises, but at least people can ask to borrow the Heddphone to pair with another amp there if they agree to it.
My initial plan was to try the HEDD with my HeadAmp GS-X mk2 and a Schiit Mjolnir. But if this is the excuse for a Phonitor, well, I guess it's a sacrifice I will have to make. I've been toying with a Phonitor ever since my first Jerry Harvey IEMs, but never did pull the trigger. Maybe, just maybe . . ..

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #425 of 4,488
Never thought you're the type of guy to buy Ultrasones. The pricing of their edition line is an absolute joke.
This was towards the beginning of my headphone journey. I didn’t know any better then.

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #426 of 4,488
If what I read on the interwebs is correct,it weighs over 700 grams(!!!!) and has a sensitivity of 87. For reference,the original HE-6 has a sensitivity of 83. Im guessing a mega amp will be needed to make these sound good.
That is way too heavy for a headphone. Ridiculous.

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #427 of 4,488
So just browsed rhe first couple pages of the thread, not sure if it was answered already, but anybody compared the hedd one agaisnt the abyss tc, susvara, sr009, lcd4?

Jan 5, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #428 of 4,488
There is a solution to help with the weight: :wink:

Alibaba-best-products-posture-correction-Medical-Head.png_350x350.png

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #429 of 4,488
If this is ridiculous, then I guess so are some others. Everyone's MMV. Weight matters, but as a single spec, it seems to me it is only one part of comfort and avoidance of physical fatigue while listening. In my main headphone listening area, I have a chair that tilts with sufficient back and neck support so that headphone weight by itself is not the most important factor. Proper fit matters more for me. The RAAL SR1a is much lighter than this, but its peculiar geometry makes fit a little bit more of a chore to achieve and maintain while moving. My Audez'e LCD-4, which is heavier than the HEDD can be worn for hours with little physical fatigue, though I no longer enjoy its sound as much as I once did. My Senns and Utopias are lighter and easy to wear, as are all my Stax, but I generally find that I tire of listening itself long before any of these products forces me to take them off out of physical discomfort. My IEMs are lighter than everything else, but I still don't use them for anything other than portable listening, and occasionally for curiosity comparison at home. :shrug:, that's the great thing about having choices.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #430 of 4,488
You really don't need such mass and weight (discomfort) to achieve great headphone sound.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #431 of 4,488
You really don't need such mass and weight (discomfort) to achieve great headphone sound.

Well it’s lighter than the LCD 4 and this is their first model at a headphone with AMT technology. With time they may find ways to shave more weight, but for now, the company says all that weight is necessary to achieve the sound they wanted with the current available technology.

Not to mention that if it sounds as good or better than the LCD 4, then it would simultaneously be lighter and would be less than half the cost. If that happens, I’d say not bad for a first try.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #432 of 4,488
LCD-4 is 600 grams. HEDD is 718.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back