HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 3, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #391 of 4,478
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #392 of 4,478
Whatever new is releasing at Canjam. Susvara and the Abyss TC. And these bad boys too.

I think Hifiman will be releasing its wireless Susvara Jr and its $4,000 R2R DAP.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #393 of 4,478
Well I bit the built and ordered a set of HEDDphones.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #394 of 4,478
Well I bit the built and ordered a set of HEDDphones.

Could we please get comparisons with your 1266phi, Empyrean and Verites after the Hedd burns in?

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #395 of 4,478
I tried the Abyss 1266 Phi and Diana, Empyrean and HEDDphone on the same day at the last SoCal CanJam; though on different systems and for me both the Rad-0 from Rosson Audio and HEDDphone had distinctive merits above all others in many aspects; the Rad-0 having a solid spot for that vivid, lush, vibrant and especially hard-hitting rhythmic presentation, and the HEDDphone standing head & shoulders above almost all in terms of detail, speed, resolution and 'layering' (seemingly infinite ability to reproduce complex layers in the recording). I liked the Abyss 1266 but was just not a fan of the semi-fitting design and although it was certainly resolving I just never had the 'awe' moment as with the Rad-0 and the HEDDphone; likewise with the smaller Diana-Phi it was the most amazing headphone I've ever heard at its' size, but I consider it outclassed in every aspect to some extent by the HEDDphone. And for me and several others who've tried both, the Rad-0 wins over Empyrean in the likes of bass speed and timbre. And all this was without even hearing the HEDDphone on the best amp. Overall I would put the HEDDphone somewhere between the tonality of the HD-800 with the Stax Sr-007 bass and detail, with a nod toward the HE-1 (AKA Orpheus II). Although I've yet to hear the Verite, it would seem to be an unfair comparison so radically different.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #396 of 4,478
I can't wait for these to be available in the UK! I heard them in CanJam London and although I was impressed, they felt slightly underdriven by a Hugo2. Would love to see if my amps are up to the task, at this price they are very attractive for many of us on a more modest budget.

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #397 of 4,478
I tried the Abyss 1266 Phi and Diana, Empyrean and HEDDphone on the same day at the last SoCal CanJam; though on different systems and for me both the Rad-0 from Rosson Audio and HEDDphone had distinctive merits above all others in many aspects; the Rad-0 having a solid spot for that vivid, lush, vibrant and especially hard-hitting rhythmic presentation, and the HEDDphone standing head & shoulders above almost all in terms of detail, speed, resolution and 'layering' (seemingly infinite ability to reproduce complex layers in the recording). I liked the Abyss 1266 but was just not a fan of the semi-fitting design and although it was certainly resolving I just never had the 'awe' moment as with the Rad-0 and the HEDDphone; likewise with the smaller Diana-Phi it was the most amazing headphone I've ever heard at its' size, but I consider it outclassed in every aspect to some extent by the HEDDphone. And for me and several others who've tried both, the Rad-0 wins over Empyrean in the likes of bass speed and timbre. And all this was without even hearing the HEDDphone on the best amp. Overall I would put the HEDDphone somewhere between the tonality of the HD-800 with the Stax Sr-007 bass and detail, with a nod toward the HE-1 (AKA Orpheus II). Although I've yet to hear the Verite, it would seem to be an unfair comparison so radically different.
From a friend in the industry that spent time with the Rad-0 said it was like an lcd2. Nothing special. I would have to try it on my own before passing judgement, but I usually agree with what he says.

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #399 of 4,478
I don't know why I spelled bullet as built I must be lacking in my cognitive functions or I need to read more. lol

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #400 of 4,478

What was the system the HEDD was on that day?

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #402 of 4,478
What was the system the HEDD was on that day?
The HEDDphone was just floating around as a prototype with an MOT at that meet and did not have an official table. I spotted it on the side of the Hifiman table and was blown away at its' performance with an (unknown) modest spec amp on the left of their table, and I thought it would still seem to have potential so with permission took it around to try with a few select amps. The Feliks Audio Euforia tube amp wasn't powerful enough to drive it with enough volume; I was super pleased with its' pairing on the Quad PA One "+" tube amp (which is the same size as Euforia but cheaper and with a lot more oomph); and astonished with its' performance on the PrimaLuna Evo 200 tube amp. Then for some reason unbeknownst to me, it sat most of the rest of the day at the Woo Audio table connected to their small portable tube amp WA8 Eclipse (which pairing I didn't try), and was never tried on the elephant in the room, which was the Woo Audio WA33 tube amp.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #403 of 4,478
Well I’m on the preorder list. Now I need @PeteSTRADAMUS to get off the fence, man up and join the team. Let’s go P Dawg!

Great, we''ll let you be the guinea pig on this one!!!

Lol, no. I’m now waiting for Canjam to hear all the new stuff and the ones on my list before I buy. I don’t wanna buy and sell again. I’m tired of doing that.
Yeah with CanJam a little over a month away, not sure i want to make a purchase until after.......Cause you never know! Although at this point I have pretty much heard most of the top contenders out there. So if this is not a go, then I have a few back ups to buy out there.

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #404 of 4,478
I think Hifiman will be releasing its wireless Susvara Jr and its $4,000 R2R DAP.
I hope not, as that would make no damn sense.......A TOTL, open, wireless HP. As it is, many are still trying to figure out the use case for the Ananda BT.

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #405 of 4,478
Great, we''ll let you be the guinea pig on this one!!!

Yeah with CanJam a little over a month away, not sure i want to make a purchase until after.......Cause you never know! Although at this point I have pretty much heard most of the top contenders out there. So if this is not a go, then I have a few back ups to buy out there.

I’ll take one for the team this time. I’ve been waiting for these for a while now and don’t want to wait any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back