HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jul 8, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #106 of 4,478
I received word from HEDD audio that theyre aware of this thread and said they would give us updates regularly from now on.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #107 of 4,478
Attention - HEDD Audio will be an exhibitor at CanJam London July 27-29th! Anyone going I recommend being one of the few lucky ones ever to try the HEDDphone. Event thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2019-july-27-28-2019.905907/

This will be their debut as an official CanJam exhibitor, since last time they were essentially borrowing space at a few random booths.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #109 of 4,478
I have never heard the HEDDphone and was interested to read your review. I could not figure out, however, what you mean by an indirect comparison.

Also, I was surprised by your glowing description of the HEDDphone, followed by your stating it is close to the HD-600. I started off with one of those years ago, and fortunately every headphone after it has sounded a whole lot better.
Hello I'm quoting your post from the SoCal CanJam 2019 impressions thread RE my impressions which were also posted here a few pages back. An 'indirect comparison' either means it wasn't back to back or it was on different systems, so not always as reliable. The comparison to the new phenomenal planar headphone Rad-0 from Rosson Audio (made by a former Audeze member) was done on the same rig, but the previous day. Both were very resolving and the Rad-0 was more vibrant and warm, where the HEDDphone was more linear and detailed. The Raal SR1A was also an indirect comparison both on separate rigs, but to me while the soundstage may not have been quite as large as the SR1A, many things were corrected with the HEDDphone such as dynamics and better low end.

My comparison of the HEDDphone to the Sennheiser HD-600 was by no means in terms of performance; simply the tonality and perhaps a similar perceived frequency response. The HEDDphone is quite some leagues ahead of the 600's in all aspects IMHO; detail, speed, imaging, instrument separation, soundstage, etc. It's like comparing a sports car to a subcompact car.

I'm really looking forward to the impressions of this fine Heddphone at CanJam London late this month and have already asked if they would post here - hoping they remember.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #110 of 4,478
Hello I'm quoting your post from the SoCal CanJam 2019 impressions thread RE my impressions which were also posted here a few pages back. An 'indirect comparison' either means it wasn't back to back or it was on different systems, so not always as reliable. The comparison to the new phenomenal planar headphone Rad-0 from Rosson Audio (made by a former Audeze member) was done on the same rig, but the previous day. Both were very resolving and the Rad-0 was more vibrant and warm, where the HEDDphone was more linear and detailed. The Raal SR1A was also an indirect comparison both on separate rigs, but to me while the soundstage may not have been quite as large as the SR1A, many things were corrected with the HEDDphone such as dynamics and better low end.

My comparison of the HEDDphone to the Sennheiser HD-600 was by no means in terms of performance; simply the tonality (seems to have a similar frequency response). The HEDDphone is quite some leagues ahead opf the 600's in all aspects IMHO; detail, speed, imaging, instrument separation, soundstage, etc. It's like comparing comparing a sports car to a small compact car.

I'm really looking forward to the impressions of this fine Heddphone at CanJam London and have already asked if they would post here - hoping they remember.
Got it. Thank you.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #112 of 4,478
WOOT! Just now noticed this from 5 days ago in the CanJam London thread. Just 8 more days to go, or at least read about it's appearance there.
Guys, here's the Seminar Schedule for CanJam London 2019. Spaces are limited so plan accordingly!
(...)
Sunday, July 28
(...)
2pm-3pm A New Chapter in Headphone Technology - the first full range AMT headphone
Transducer technologies in speakers and headphones are either electrodynamic systems, coming in the voice coil, planar or pure ribbon flavor, and electrostatic devices, all existing in both product categories. In the last decades the Air Motion Transformer, originally invented by the German physicist Oskar Heil, took a different approach. It found its way in a compact form into new tweeter designs based on the original work of the author. By introducing VVT® or Variable Velocity Transform, the original AMT concept is expanded by replacing the fixed geometric structure of conventional AMT drivers by folds that vary both in width and depth, thus varying the AMT specific velocity transform over the frequency range. Dr. Frederik Knop from HEDD presents the technology behind the HEDDphone ONE, the first full range headphone based on the Air Motion Transformer principle.

Also HEDD Audio said they will be having three display models of the HEDDphone ONE along with a Chord Hugo 2, but I'm trying to convince them to bring a bigger amp. I won't be attending, so hope to read about it.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #113 of 4,478
WOOT! Just now noticed this from 5 days ago in the CanJam London thread. Just 8 more days to go, or at least read about it's appearance there.
Also HEDD Audio said they will be having three display models of the HEDDphone ONE along with a Chord Hugo 2, but I'm trying to convince them to bring a bigger amp. I won't be attending, so hope to read about it.

+1 I strongly advise that.
The HEDDphone needs a lot of current / amperage to shine.

third_eye said: " By introducing VVT® or Variable Velocity Transform, the original AMT concept is expanded by replacing the fixed geometric structure of conventional AMT drivers by folds that vary both in width and depth, thus varying the AMT specific velocity transform over the frequency range. Dr. Frederik Knop from HEDD presents the technology behind the HEDDphone ONE, the first full range headphone based on the Air Motion Transformer principle."

That's the new technology that HEDD Audio was talking about in Berlin in June (also that they are trying to protect that new technology by patent), so I am glad they succeeded.

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #116 of 4,478
I'd say at least 2x 2000 mW at 38 Ohm

The Chord Hugo 2 is only 740 mW at 32Ω according to specs

So... THX 789 AAA in high gain for SS lovers, and Cayin HA-1A MK2 for tube lovers?

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #118 of 4,478
I'm in Germany, I will try it, and I'll go with my Benchmark HPA4 :wink: Or with AHB2 as speaker amp right away.

Alternative would be the Niimbus, a great German product. Would be interesting to learn what HEDD actually use for development and internal auditioning.

Jul 19, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #119 of 4,478
I have been eyeing this for a while now. The tech involved looks very interesting to say the least. Can’t wait to try it out at some point. Maybe something to save up for:)
One thing though..the specs say 38 ohms and 90 dB sensitivity and you guys are talking about 2•2 watts? Seems a little crazy to me when 1 watt through this thing will amount to 120 dB, which is both incredibly painful and damaging to the human ear.
You can’t force extra juice into a can without raising the volume.

In my book this is a relatively easy to drive heddphone:p

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #120 of 4,478
I'll delete this post if I'm giving away proprietary information, but I was told that HEDD Audio uses "both Lehmann and SPL (Phonitor2) amps" in house. I was hoping they would at least bring their Phonitor 2 amp if it synergises, but at least people can ask to borrow the Heddphone to pair with another amp there if they agree to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back