HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jul 19, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #122 of 4,481
For a German manufacturer these would be rather exotic choices .... neither Cayin nor THX amps are common in Germany.

True, true. I am more well versed with Mid and Chi-fi, so those were the first things I thought of when I saw your specs.
A benchmark HPA4 amp would then be an excellent options, aside from a Niimbus, I guess.
I would also say Ezertich, yet, as you said, it would be too exotic since they are Slovenians.
But if they say they use Phonitors, which also are very excellent amps, then these should be enough with their almost 4W power.
I wonder how these would brawl against Stax, since the Ergo AMT was said to match an O2.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #123 of 4,481
I'll delete this post if I'm giving away proprietary information, but I was told that HEDD Audio uses "both Lehmann and SPL (Phonitor2) amps" in house. I was hoping they would at least bring their Phonitor 2 amp if it synergises, but at least people can ask to borrow the Heddphone to pair with another amp there if they agree to it.

Yes, I can confirm that. I am sure the SPL Phonitor 2 synergises well, with balanced cables, not single-ended. But there are other options, amps like the Violectric V281 that use a standard 4-pin XLR connector.

It's not just about the sound volume, even the Hugo 2 is loud enough to drive the HEDDphone.

It's about the speed, bass extension, transients. Those drivers need some reserves in amperage to show their full potential IMHO.

The Chord Hugo 2 is a very well-known, wide-spread amp, so I guess HEDD Audio wants to show that even a smaller amp has enough power to drive those headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #124 of 4,481
Yes, I can confirm that. I am sure the SPL Phonitor 2 synergises well, with balanced cables, not single-ended. But there are other options, amps like the Violectric V281 that use a standard 4-pin XLR connector.

It's not just about the sound volume, even the Hugo 2 is loud enough to drive the HEDDphone.

It's about the speed, bass extension, transients. Those drivers need some reserves in amperage to show their full potential IMHO.

The Chord Hugo 2 is a very well-known, wide-spread amp, so I guess HEDD Audio wants to show that even a smaller amp has enough power to drive those headphones.

That seems pretty accurate, although it would kind of be like running... what... LCD-4s off a very fancy JDS Atom. Usable, although not at it's full potential.
Hmm, it makes me wonder, however, if it sounds pretty darn good, how many audiophiliac madmen will go around with their... Kann Cubes and their Heddphones outdoors.

"Hey, what kind of headphones are those?"
"They are Heddphones!"
"No, I mean-"...

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #125 of 4,481
I'm in Germany, I will try it, and I'll go with my Benchmark HPA4 :wink: Or with AHB2 as speaker amp right away.

Alternative would be the Niimbus, a great German product. Would be interesting to learn what HEDD actually use for development and internal auditioning.
Bertel do you mean you will be attending London CanJam next weekend and will be bringing those two amps with you?

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #126 of 4,481
Sure enough I think it's better to showcase the 'Heddphones' in their best possible light with a hefty amp rather than just show that it can even sound good with a modest amp... though to be fair the Chord Hugo 2 does have one of the best DACs around behind it. Also I wonder if it was even properly amped at that Hi-Fi tradeshow in Munich a few months ago, given the generally lukewarm impressions. Probably someone at the HEDD team will notice our posts and bring a stronger amp, but it not at least maybe they can show it on a nearby vendor's amp.

Also RE balanced vs. SE connections, the performance all depends of the specs of and synergy with an amp. So this as well as other headphones can sound better in balanced mode or standard SE mode depending on the amp pairing in question. My amazing experience with the HEDDphone was all with the standard SE cable.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #127 of 4,481
Bertel do you mean you will be attending London CanJam next weekend and will be bringing those two amps with you?
No, unfortunately not. What I meant is that I‘ll buy one when it becomes available, and try with my gear I have at home.

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #129 of 4,481
In Krefeld, Germany there will be a headphone trade show (Audiovista) in the middle of September.
Since it's literally around the corner from where I live and HEDD will be attending, I will have ample of time to really audition these headphones.
Since the Niimbus US4+ is also a German product and the company will attend, I am quite positive that I will find a way to pair the Heddphones with the phantastic amplifier and report back here.
https://www.niimbus-audio.com/product-page/niimbus-us-4

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #131 of 4,481
Right now, my endgame is the Benchmark DAC3-B, HPA4, and HEDDphone One. It seems like that should yield an incredibly clear, clean, undistorted, and accurate sound, which is exactly what I am after. Can't wait for these HEDDphones to drop!

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #132 of 4,481
Back to the Heddphone, I wonder if a composite Conical structure could reduce the power required to drive this?
Almost nobody wants to pay $8k+ for Obravo's IEMs, and heck, even Stax has gone portable. Imagine, "We present: The iEMT, the first closed-back, non-overpriced portable AMT IEM that can run from even a phone."

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 22, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #133 of 4,481
In Krefeld, Germany there will be a headphone trade show (Audiovista) in the middle of September.
Since it's literally around the corner from where I live and HEDD will be attending, I will have ample of time to really audition these headphones.
Since the Niimbus US4+ is also a German product and the company will attend, I am quite positive that I will find a way to pair the Heddphones with the phantastic amplifier and report back here.
https://www.niimbus-audio.com/product-page/niimbus-us-4

Nice!

Jul 27, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #134 of 4,481
The HEDDphone One and even a new gold color $24k electrostat rig is on center display at CanJam London but meanwhile on the impressions thread all the attention as of yet seems to fixate on portable gear and IEMs. We've all been patient waiting for those HEDDphone impressions for weeks... come on somebody tell us something... somebody save us from a meltdown :upside_down:! Anybody else care to nudge them about it over there, besides me?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #135 of 4,481
The HEDDphone One and even a new gold color $24k electrostat rig is on center display at CanJam London but meanwhile on the impressions thread all the attention as of yet seems to fixate on portable gear and IEMs. We've all been patient waiting for those HEDDphone impressions for weeks... come on somebody tell us something... somebody save us from a meltdown :upside_down:! Anybody else care to nudge them about it over there, besides me?

At first, I was also confused why people would be more excited about all these iteratively upgraded IEMs and DAPs, instead of the unobtainable high-end or, like the HEDD, legitimately ground-breaking gear. But, when I thought about it more, it began to make sense. When I go to a meet-up, I gravitate towards the gear that I might realistically buy. At the last one, I spent a lot more time with the Focal Elex than with the Utopia. The Utopia was amazing, but I'm not considering buying one so listening was mostly academic. I bet more people are drawn to IEMs and DAPs for the same reason. Or at least, that's one of the reasons.

Still frustrating though, and I am definitely down with your plan. Let's nudge these mother****ers. :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back