HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jul 1, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #91 of 4,473
Maximum lurk engaged, we all seem to end up lurking on the same threads lol...
I'm pretty sure most of us are on the same ones. Year in year out haha.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #92 of 4,473
Same company that makes the warmstone 12ax7?

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #93 of 4,473
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #94 of 4,473
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #96 of 4,473
Yup, still holding to my impression of the HEDDphone being a true chameleon, it did sound utterly astonishing with complex rock music. Me being more of an electronic music fan, the HEDDphone admittedly took my breath away with a few tracks from Nirvana's signature album when paired with the Prima Luna EVO 200 tube amp anyway. As mentioned in my reveiw a few pages back, it seems to have basically limitless ability to handle complex recordings (I belive this must be a result of it's technology that allows it to move air 4x faster than electrostats), making it perfect for heavy metal for one, and also sounded phenomenal with electronic music from my testing. I hope someone from HEDD.Audio would come around here sometime and give us an update on production

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #97 of 4,473
I heard the prototypes at CanJam SoCal 2019. They looked pretty beat up and they were quite heavy.
To me, they sounded OK. Nothing spectacular. But they did sound like they had potential.
So until the finished product launches, I'll be....

giphy (4).gif

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #98 of 4,473
I hope someone from HEDD.Audio would come around here sometime and give us an update on production

I have made HEDD Audio aware of this thread,and invited them to join us.

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #103 of 4,473
HEDD Audio knows of this thread since June

Yeah,I have been in touch with them since CanJam SoCal. Perhaps they knew of it before,I have no idea.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #104 of 4,473
Completely awesome! We have an insider of Hedd Audio on Head-Fi now! Here was his message on the CanJam SoCal 2019 impressions thread:

I am Klaus Heinz, HEDD engineer for the HEDDphones ONE. Let me comment that the Air Motion Transformer works with - in the case of the HP 1 - 26 single folds that squeeze air 4 times faster than the diaphragm itself is moving. All other speakers and phones act like a piston to move air, be they voice coil driven, planar or electrostatic. Their diaphragms and the air velocity are always in a 1:1 ratio.

When one breathes the breast moves slowly but the air goes in and out much quicker, that´s what one calls a velocity transform. That´s the way the folds in the HEDDphone ONE operate. The factor 4:1 I think in no way is related to a 4th harmonic, the THD of the unit including the 4th harmonic is ≤ 0,1 %. As soon as the final product is available we will publish these curves.

We illustrate the details of the in its way unique functionality of the Air Motion Transformer on our website at http://www.hedd.audio/en/hedd-amt/.
@klaush1 we would love to see you around this thread sometime :beyersmile:. Where are you guys at in the development, if you don't mind to mention?

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #105 of 4,473
So there's one mystery solved about the function of their unique AMT driver...

Now I think I just solved another mystery too - why was I seemingly more blown away with the HEDDphone than anyone else at CanJam? Because it seems that I may have actually been the only one to use it with a decent amp. I had to search for the owner and beg him to let me take it around and try on some of my favorite amps. It sounded good to me on an (unknown) amp on the left side of the Hifiman table, good on a powerful mid-fi tube amp (Quad PA One +) and much better on the Prima Luna Evo 200 tube amp, and I was waiting around for a chance to pair it with the legendary Woo Audio WA33 amp but people were hogging it up paired with the small transportable WA8 amp for a reason that fleets me - I'm sure that sounded great, but I think NOBODY has yet to realise these babies' true potential yet on higher amps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back