Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Apr 20, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #1,711 of 1,734
yup agreed and boomy i wasn't calling for the closing of the thread. just strongly advising anyone whos interested in alien ears to look elsewhere. i do not see a reason why anyone should support utterly disgusting service. they have made no attempts to even apologise let alone fix the problem.

i agree that the sound is good for the price you pay. but aren't you as concerned that others would wind up buying from them and stuck with useless buds once they've broken down?

again i'm not calling for a closure of this thread. no idea where you read that.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #1,712 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pinching the pins together just .5mm with needlenose pliars will make then grab a bit tighter.

Thanks mate, will give it a go.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #1,713 of 1,734
My AE3's have issues. So I popped the cap on the top.
It sounds like the bass has distortion. When I opened one up I was able to identify the balanced armature drivers.
I was sort of under the impression that the triple drivers was like a threeway speaker but it looks more like it uses two bass drivers in a push/pull configuration.
Can anyone confirm this?
Anyway looking at the application notes I'm not surprised that mine is playing up. 65dgrees C is the max temp (I've left mine in a hot car). The drivers can be effected by vibration shock and the advice is to shock mount them on rubber foam. The AE3 has no shock mount and I've given mine hell. Finally I've plugged them into aircraft sound system, I think that is what finally killed them.

Anyhow I'll post some pictures of the components for everyone's interest.
Additionally you can buy replacement drivers from Digikey by the looks for around $25.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

It looks like Alien ears use CI-22955 as the balanced armature.
This seems to crap out below 200Hz. I thought these things when down lower than that.
CI-22955

May 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #1,714 of 1,734
Just to counter-balance some comments, I'd like to say that Andre and all the lab crew at Alien Ears have always been very nice and have always given quick response to my emails or voice mails. I guess it's a matter of personal experience...Anywho, to me customer service is excellent.
Regarding the debate over the quality of the product, I would like to give my opinion as well.
Custom in ear monitors are originally dedicated to musicians who use them in a live performance (that's my case). My C3 does an excellent job in this kind of situations , where I need an IEM that can be EQ-ed a lot. If the sound is not Hi-Fi right out of the box, I don't care, because all I need is a sound guy to be able to model the sound for me; I also need the IEM to be able to deliver great bass so that I can monitor my bass drums while playing the drums. And there again my C3's do an excellent job.
Do you want something that isolates from background noise and gives you a Hi-Fi sound, then spend the big bucks on some ''Hi-Fi" IEMs or buy some over-the-head headphones that are intended for Hi-Fi.

My point is: I bought C3's for stage use, they do an excellent job. When I use them with a portable device, i need to dig in the EQ and they do a good job as well. Now if I want the big Hi-Fi, I'll use my Sony MDR 7505...

May 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #1,715 of 1,734
Wow an extremely different experience from me and a few others. Almost sounds like a completely different company altogether. Are you on their Christmas list or are everyone else's emails going into a black hole? And I've used other forms of communication such as phone and facebook msging(not chatting).

For me personally, I would need a LOT of reassurances before I can put the past behind me. I need new impressions cos mine fell in their blackhole too.. And I need to shell out money for unique melody to remould mine as they chipped my faceplate in their lab.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #1,716 of 1,734
Alienears.com has changed the outlook of their website.
Their added also new models of custom iem's:
FR-C3 - full range triple drivers: 1 driver for highs, 1 for mids and one for lows
[size=x-small]SQ4 - quad drivers iems: 1 driver for highs, 1 for mids and 2 for lows.[/size]

[size=x-small]The FR-C3 are the same price as the old C3's.[/size]
[size=x-small]I would be really interested how balanced should they sound now.[/size]

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #1,718 of 1,734
Harvey's has indeed raised the bar, but if you're budget minded or not wanting to take the >1 grand plunge into customs, I still love my C-3's, and the customer service value is subjective.
Not everyone has has a problem with Alien Ear's C/S. Although I would Definitely CALL if I have a problem. Email can be so "Out of Sight, Out of Mind"

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #1,719 of 1,734
so heres an update for anyone watching this thread sitting on the fence.

i've been contacted by one of alien ear's sales rep, no not Andre. this guy goes by the name of Mike. and hes promised to make good on repairs and seems sincere about making up for past mistakes made by Andre and the lab.

recap:
this was the problem, earphones have a crack in the faceplate (made by the lab) and thus theres a hole at the bottom bit, leaving my drivers exposed. they've also lost my impressions and lately i've been losing sound on the right hand side.

So i sent them back about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, Mike got in touch with me once again telling me my earphones are good to go and that they've replaced the faulty cable and before he sends it back to me, he wants to know whether there are any issues as it seems the LAB took over a week to look and assess my earphones and found no crack no chip no hole.

I'm astounded. I am clueless how they could miss it. If they held it they'd even feel the sharp edge jutting out. So i sent a reply to Mike indicating that the crack and hole is still there, the fact the LAB missed it leads me to believe they haven't done quite the thorough job they'd like him and me to believe.

In short, I didn't expect them to come back to me ever. But it seems someone in the company at least cares enough about not just making money but also making good on customers' post purchase experiences. Well, Good effort so far, Poor execution. I'll post another update in another 3 weeks when i eventually get them back.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #1,720 of 1,734

Quote:
so heres an update for anyone watching this thread sitting on the fence.

i've been contacted by one of alien ear's sales rep, no not Andre. this guy goes by the name of Mike. and hes promised to make good on repairs and seems sincere about making up for past mistakes made by Andre and the lab.

recap:
this was the problem, earphones have a crack in the faceplate (made by the lab) and thus theres a hole at the bottom bit, leaving my drivers exposed. they've also lost my impressions and lately i've been losing sound on the right hand side.

So i sent them back about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, Mike got in touch with me once again telling me my earphones are good to go and that they've replaced the faulty cable and before he sends it back to me, he wants to know whether there are any issues as it seems the LAB took over a week to look and assess my earphones and found no crack no chip no hole.

I'm astounded. I am clueless how they could miss it. If they held it they'd even feel the sharp edge jutting out. So i sent a reply to Mike indicating that the crack and hole is still there, the fact the LAB missed it leads me to believe they haven't done quite the thorough job they'd like him and me to believe.

In short, I didn't expect them to come back to me ever. But it seems someone in the company at least cares enough about not just making money but also making good on customers' post purchase experiences. Well, Good effort so far, Poor execution. I'll post another update in another 3 weeks when i eventually get them back.

Wow... you are still in the process of getting it fixed?!! I can't imagine what you are going through. I gave up on them long time ago but hope you get yours back soon.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #1,721 of 1,734
Rather than read all 115 pages of this thread, can anyone help me out and tell me what the general consensus is with these IEMs?  I am considering some C3s but I can see some Head Fiers are having a few problems with them.  Is this a common occurance or a rare one blown out of proportion by an angry customer? 

Also, if not these then what brand do you recommend?  I have heard of both Livewires and Sleek, UE is just way too expensive.  I don't like the extruding metal plugs on the livewires, but if the sound and build quality is worth it then I may just end up leaning that direction.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #1,722 of 1,734
After demoing the JH-5's (and along with the JH-13 and JH-10x3) at the last Portland Head-Fi meet I would not recommand any of the AlienEars or Livewires products.
AlienEars started out with decent customer service but has since gone downhill. You have to call to get anyone to do anything, and even then, good luck with having them follow through.

The lab AlienEars goes through is great though, Fisher Hearing. There is a thread about their remold service and they have a forum rep on here too. But as an AlienEars customer you don't deal with Fisher you only deal with AlienEars.

The JH-5 are $400 and sound like someone took my AlienEars and tuned them to audiophile standards instead of every joe standards.
Seriously, just go with the JH-5 and forget AlienEars :)

http://www.jhaudio.com/promusic/

Also, if the audiologists are too expensive in your area, you could try a self impression kit.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/foimkit.html
(Pretty much the same as what AlienEars includes)

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #1,723 of 1,734
I read through the info on this forum before deciding to ultimately contact Alien Ears and ask some questions, and eventually place an order. I wanted to share my experience here for the consideration of others looking into purchasing custom IEM's.

I placed an order for the triple driver C3's, but decided a week later that I would prefer to upgrade that order to the quad driver SQ4 model instead. I was told it was no problem to do, and wouldn't affect my wait time. When they arrived 2 1/2 weeks later, they showed up as C3's. I was disappointed and notified Andre at Alien Ears right away, and he immediately sent me the necessary return credentials and pre-paid shipping label. Before returning then later that same day, I listened to the quality of the C3's by listening to some of my own original musical recordings with which I'm VERY familiar with how they should sound. My impression of the C3's was very favorable. Crisp and clear lows and mids. Highs sounded 'ok', but they did seem to be missing just a hint of high end. All the more reason that the SQ4's should be better (having a dedicated high driver).

I sent them back, and about a week and a half later I had the SQ4 models delivered to me. They sounded horible. Almost as if there was a pillow between my ears and the sound source in my ear canal. I called to complain, and Andre was very thorough in covering all my concerns. We mutually agreed that they might possibly need to be refit, so I had new impressions of my ears made, and sent those back off to AE.

When they arrived this time, they sounded very nice. They seemed to seal better in my ears, as well. And in my recollection of how the C3's sounded playing back my own music, I have to say that the SQ4's sound much better than the C3's (which I was happy with, too). Are they 'audiophile quality'? I don't know. I'm a musician that uses these for stage monitoring and the occassional ipod listen, so I'm no audiophile. But they make the music I create sound very good, and I have no complaints with the final product whatsoever.

Yes, I had some issues during the whole process, but each time, Andre took care of them in a timely manner. And I wasn't constantly in contact wondering where they were, either. They clearly specify their expected wait times, and each time they arrived within that timeframe. And being a custom product, I wasn't necessarily turned off by the fact that I needed to have them refit. Disappointed, sure...I wanted my new toys! But its to be expected from time to time whenever any custom product is being manufactured. Especially where human anatomy is concerned.

Bottom line, is that I would recommend Alien Ears and their roducts to anyone considering IEM's. The final product is one I'm very happy with, and I feel is a high quality monitor. I've now been using them for about a solid month, and I have nothing but smiles on my face when I have them in. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #1,724 of 1,734
Just as the previous post, I also read through this whole thread and in the end decided to go with Alien Ears C3's.  I placed my order on 11/22/10 and received my kit in the mail on 11/24/10.  Due to Thanksgiving I didn't do the impressions until Friday 11/26/10, which were very easy.  My husband help me with the impressions.  I mailed them off that Saturday 11/27/10.  

I received my completed custom IEM's and my molds in the mail 12/14/10, that was 2 1/2 weeks from the time I mailed them off.  The website and invoice state it is a 2 1/2 to 4 week turnaround.  I expected to wait 4 weeks and was very surprised when they arrived in 2 1/2 weeks.

I quickly put them on and was a little scared because it didn't feel like they isolated as my Shure SE 210 had. (I was used to having something shoved down my ear canal).  I plugged into my Iphone and walked around the house doing laundry.  The sound quality was amazing.  I hadn't heard that kind of sound except in a mixing studio.  Crisp hi's, warm mid's and punchy low end.   I wasn't listening at a high volume either, however my husband had to tap my shoulder to get my attention.  He said he was yelling at me and I still couldn't hear him.  I was so enjoying the music I was listening to (Dream Theater).

I was excited two days later to be able to try them out for a rehearsal for a christmas program at my church.  (I play inside a fully enclosed case and the other drummer and I decided to measure the db inside the case, it registered at 120 db).  To my surprise, my Alien Ears gave me great isolation and my kit sounded amazing.  I also run sound in the house on the days I don't play so I know how my kit sounds in the house.  I always struggled to hear my kick with my Shure's, not the case with the C3's, you hear everything.

I've been using them now for 3 weeks and I play 3 times a week (2x on sunday).  I have no complaints with the quality of the product.  Alien Ears delivered exactly as they described their product, quality at a reasonable price.
As far as customer service, I lost the cleaning tool that came with my IEM's.  I e-mailed Alien Ears to buy a new one and they sent me a new tool in the mail, NO CHARGE.   I believe Alien Ears to be an outstanding company that goes beyond the norm to give their customers great service.  

Our bass player at church ordered his IEM's through Fidelity a 3 weeks before I ordered mine, he is still waiting for his to come in.

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #1,725 of 1,734
Can't say much about the current customer service, as I got my C3s way early on. I can say that I am very happy with the C3s. They sound great and are well built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back