Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Jan 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,636 of 1,734
I had the same probleme, right side of my C3'S was not working very well.
I send a mail to André and he answered me 3 or 4 days after.
He just ask me to send them back, and he made me a new pair!
It took less than 3 weeks (i'am living in France).

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #1,637 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am listening to my C2s as I'm writing this, and I can honestly say that I hate them and think it was my biggest mistake made last year(choosing to buy them)

treble is recessed like hell, it just sounds dull. Also the build quality is horrible, bubbles everywhere and it looks really bad.

I'm going to keep it simple, they suck, buy universals instead and the sound is horrible for the price.

Bit harsh don't you think?

I'm going to assume you're new to customs, so I can understand why you might think the sound is horrible for the price. However, you have to realize that both universals and customs have their trade-off's.. Anything mass produced will be cheaper, thus will allow for a better sounding product to be sold at the same price as a custom product.

These are a fantastic entry level custom, and in truth are a reasonable price for the product. Don't get me wrong, I own both C3's and also JH13 Pro's.. And to be honest, comparing the two (one being ~$400 and the other being ~$1100), the Alien Ears really aren't that bad for the price difference.

Personally, I'd choose comfort over sound quality any day. If you wan't better sound quality in a custom monitor, be prepared to spend far more than what you paid for your AE's.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #1,639 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon3003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bit harsh don't you think?

I'm going to assume you're new to customs, so I can understand why you might think the sound is horrible for the price. However, you have to realize that both universals and customs have their trade-off's.. Anything mass produced will be cheaper, thus will allow for a better sounding product to be sold at the same price as a custom product.

These are a fantastic entry level custom, and in truth are a reasonable price for the product. Don't get me wrong, I own both C3's and also JH13 Pro's.. And to be honest, comparing the two (one being ~$400 and the other being ~$1100), the Alien Ears really aren't that bad for the price difference.

Personally, I'd choose comfort over sound quality any day. If you wan't better sound quality in a custom monitor, be prepared to spend far more than what you paid for your AE's.

Maybe mierenneuker's choice of words was a bit harsh but my impression is not that different from his. I was very disappointed by C3 a while ago when I had them. I now have JH13 as you are but I would never compare these to C3. Personally, I wouldn't even pay half of its price tag for C3. I guess people really do hear differently.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #1,640 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe mierenneuker's choice of words was a bit harsh but my impression is not that different from his. I was very disappointed by C3 a while ago when I had them. I now have JH13 as you are but I would never compare these to C3. Personally, I wouldn't even pay half of its price tag for C3. I guess people really do hear differently.

Well, I think it also depends on what you're using them for. If you're expecting audiophile quality sound from the C3's then you're obviously going to be disappointed. But then again, the C3 isn't marketed for audiophile listening, so you guys must have had different expectations than the majority of people in this thread. When using the C3's for monitoring purposes, I have 0 complaints.

You also need to take into account what's in them, and what your expectations should be. For example, they have 1 mid and 2 low end drives.. So your highs are obviously going to be a bit lacking.

The C3's are half the price of the JH13's, and thus I would expect half the quality. I can honestly say I feel I get that with them.

Anyways, I don't think it's right to turn people away form a product for it not meeting your expectations.

Keep in mind, you have a 30 day money back guarantee... I fail to see the reason to turn people away from at least trying them.

Note: This isn't aimed specifically at you hifidk, it's just a general reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #1,641 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon3003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think it also depends on what you're using them for. If you're expecting audiophile quality sound from the C3's then you're obviously going to be disappointed. But then again, the C3 isn't marketed for audiophile listening, so you guys must have had different expectations than the majority of people in this thread. When using the C3's for monitoring purposes, I have 0 complaints.

You also need to take into account what's in them, and what your expectations should be. For example, they have 1 mid and 2 low end drives.. So your highs are obviously going to be a bit lacking.

The C3's are half the price of the JH13's, and thus I would expect half the quality. I can honestly say I feel I get that with them.

Anyways, I don't think it's right to turn people away form a product for it not meeting your expectations.

Keep in mind, you have a 30 day money back guarantee... I fail to see the reason to turn people away from at least trying them.

Note: This isn't aimed specifically at you hifidk, it's just a general reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I understand your point. But my expectation grew up really big when I was reading up on this thread. Some people might do the same and make a purchase that he/she will eventually regret. 30-day money-back only works if you get standard color without any artwork. If you really don't need them, I highly suggest take advantage of this. Anyway, since this thread is not appreciation thread but rather discussion thread, I think it is healthy to discuss both good and bad qualities of the product (but, of course, bashing products with no reason wouldn't help anyone).

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #1,642 of 1,734
Got myself a pair of remolded C3's, if you are looking for a fun, and "iPod" sound signature like sound, then you'll like the C3's. For myself, i'm ok with the C3's however for the retail price, i can't say i would buy them for the C3's. My two year ago Livewires trips go beyond the sound quality of C3's on all levels while costing less, but for the fun factor, the C3's win over the trips. The C3 has a high/mid driver, and a dual lows like many offerings by other company, but like Brandon said, the C3's do lack high freq presentation. I myself, couldn't live with the sound signature of the C3, therefore had them sold off after a week after remold.

Also, the higher end you go, the more you have to pay for that extra little bit of sound quality. So techically the C3's should be closer to the JH13's than half, but i can't say that as i don't own the JH13.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #1,643 of 1,734
I'm probably the biggest fan of the C-3's here. I'm saving for the JH13's and i'll be able to hear both but there's no way that I'll post my comparison here. That would just be silly. The c-3's are rightly compared to the Freq's,Livewires and a few upper priced universals like the TF10's and SE350's but even taking the time to A/B the c-3's and JH13's would be like comparing Sennheiser HD555's with the HD800's.

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #1,644 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I understand your point. But my expectation grew up really big when I was reading up on this thread. Some people might do the same and make a purchase that he/she will eventually regret. 30-day money-back only works if you get standard color without any artwork. If you really don't need them, I highly suggest take advantage of this. Anyway, since this thread is not appreciation thread but rather discussion thread, I think it is healthy to discuss both good and bad qualities of the product (but, of course, bashing products with no reason wouldn't help anyone).

I agree with you completely
normal_smile .gif

I'm all for healthy criticism, I just think it should be kept "healthy" and appropriate. For example, rather than someone saying product A sucks and was the biggest mistake of their year, they should state what others should expect since in truth it's all opinion and what one person thinks might suck (mierenneuker) another person might rave about (boomy). That was the point I was trying to get across.

I wasn't aware that the 30 day money back guarantee was so restricted. It wasn't like that when I had purchased mine. In fact, I even got a custom color for free as well, so things have apparently changed.

Personally, I think the best advice for anyone would be to be patient and just save up for JH13's
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #1,646 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they charge money for custom colours?

Indeed they do. $25 for custom color, $25 for custom art. It's pretty reasonable considering most other places charge $50 for art
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,648 of 1,734
Andre started charging for custom color because the lab was getting backed up and they were charging him more. He then decided to have a long list of standard colors. More than any other company. But still charges less for custom work than others. When I had Danny's done with the Star Wars heads, they only charged me $25.00 for both the custom swirls and attaching the Heads with custon posts.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,649 of 1,734
They definitely don't have the longest list of standard colours, Westone and JHA offer more than 50 colours to choose from as a standard. But i like how artwork is only $25 for AE and you can basically do what ever you want,
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #1,650 of 1,734
So I decided to finally get customs and after reading all 110 pages I went with the C3 Pro With black monitor and cables. Ordered on Saturday (23th) I'm guessing my self impression kit will be here by wednesday(27th) since it was shipped out on sat.

I was originally going to goto an audiologist for the impressions but it was hard finding one that was open on the weekends and didn't charge $150-200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back