Hearing Test
Oct 11, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #19 of 21
This article seems to agree:

The World Above 20k

But do those (high) frequencies actually reach us? As I wrote here a couple of months ago, Dr. Chris Halpin, an audiologist at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and an erstwhile electronic musician, says that there's no way to measure a human's response to sounds above 13 kHz or so. It doesn't mean we don't hear sounds up there, it just means that they have not figured out any objective means to quantify our sensitivity to them — or lack of it. Whatever it is, however, it's awfully small.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having had a bunch of hearing tests recently, the use of these tests is really only to get a basic idea of your hearing, not a true analytical test.
For 'most' people anything over 10K is getting pretty hard to hear (i.e. very faint - even though the volume is the same at all frequencies) and my ears give up at 12K (probably less). My partner ears can stretch at 14K, but even then she says its very very faint.
Most folk over the age of 40 y. should be happy if they can register anything over 10K.

Of course, the test is designed to go up to 8K, because the human voice doesn't make much in the way of sound above that (only some annoying sibilance as it happens) and that is actually what they are testing for, and not the ability to hear your hi-fi!

My on-going illness has lead to my ears suddenly picking up frequencies about 12K and I really wish that hadn't, because now most of my music is ruined by xs sibilance that I have to now eq out.

Oct 13, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #20 of 21
nice thread. i found out that i can only hear 30hz-17khz using my KSC75, soundmax hd audio card. @ 50% master volume 50% wave volume played on winamp v5.24

20hz was more felt than heard, 18khz-20khz was like a ticking sound. I hope this is not accurate lol

btw this was done during office hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back