Healing
Apr 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #18 of 41
I remember reading some great reviews from you. Thanks a lot man. This goes to show how thankful we should be for what we have. There are people coping with a lot worse.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:
Looks ( er...sounds? ) like it will be permanent.  I was not shocked, a driver basically exploded on my ear while I was listening.  

I don't have all the details, but it sounds like you might want to look into some sort of litigation...

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 41
^ Agree. Last time I checked, headphone drivers do not spontaneously combust or explode when worn. On a serious note, I don't think headphone drivers are powerful enough to cause permanent hearing damage unless worn for an extended period of time. The max volume most headphone can emit is approximately 130-140 dB. Also, if you were briefly exposed to these sound level, you should be alright.  So unless you hooked your headphones to a 500 watt speaker amplifier, accidentally turned the volume knob all the way around, and listened to it for several minutes, I doubt it did any permanent harm. Anyways, I wish you the best and hope you recover soon.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #21 of 41
That's terrible news. I hope you can at least some of your hearing. I've read a lot of your contributions here over the years, its sad to here you go! Remember though that your role in this community isn't just as a pair of ears - though I imagine as a hobby the lustre might be a bit off.

I'd just like to ask swb, was the accident something that was preventable? Or rather, I'd like to know if this is something that could actually happen to anyone else and how it might be prevented.

Anyway, I wish you all the best!

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #22 of 41

Quote:
I don't have all the details, but it sounds like you might want to look into some sort of litigation...

No form of money remuneration can replace a damaged ear of an audiophile. :frowning2:

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #23 of 41
too bad very sorry to see that  happened. Hope some sort of litigation is followed up on as stated above. Look into it at least FOR SURE, while you still can.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 41
Lots of love to you Mike! I'm so sorry to hear what happened. Thanks for all the effort you've put into your reviews; they've been a pleasure to read and have been very helpful.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 41
Hope it gets better...

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 41
Signs of improvement started yesterday and a little more today. I'm happy, but its still pretty bad.  All of the doctors made it seem like I'd be partially def forever or at least for many years.  Time will tell.

There are no dangers to anyone else, Perhaps it was a negative feedback loop caused by an electrical short, I really do not know.  No amplifiers were used, only my budget USB dac which is not even remotely capable of producing any sounds like that, especially not with the moderately hard to drive headphones I was using at the time which this dac even when maxed out pushes volume to an unsatisfactory level. I highly suspect it was a fault of my source computer, not the dac or the headphones.  A sudden power surge, glitch, or something odd happening inside my music player that sounded just like a corrupted song.  The weird thing is, that track plays perfectly fine through every other piece of gear I've tested it on, no weird pops or sudden loud sounds at all.  I'm at a loss for words, really. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #30 of 41

Quote:
I highly suspect it was a fault of my source computer, not the dac or the headphones.  A sudden power surge, glitch, or something odd happening inside my music player that sounded just like a corrupted song.  The weird thing is, that track plays perfectly fine through every other piece of gear I've tested it on, no weird pops or sudden loud sounds at all.  I'm at a loss for words, really. 

That's odd, I would assume the DAC would have been damaged as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back