Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Sep 5, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #3,991 of 4,123
In the bass department - definitely better. The bass boost option is miles away from Cayin's, which I never liked that much.
Rest of the spectrum - will be hard to compare, as my Cayin died, but I would say it's also better. Maybe my brain's playing tricks :wink:, but from the first listen I was surprised with the clarity. And it that's not enough, the treble boost is really nice (I'm not a treblehead).
This is only the second time, when I was wowed right away (the first time was with the Audeze LCD-2F).
The bass boost is great. You can boost only the sub bass if so desired. You can also boost the mid bass or full bass aswell. I use the Arrow with a Cowon P1 with the Fostex TH900.

Sep 5, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #3,993 of 4,123
I freaking love my Arrow, even though I am selling it. It is so small and yet it does so much! The bass boost is so awesome, I think I will miss it :frowning2:
You will, just wait and see.

Sep 14, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #3,996 of 4,123
I also have the Cayin C5 and an Arrow 5P, which I usually have connected (Crystal Piccolino IC) to a FiiO X5 (1st gen).
Amazing how such a small amp can deliver so much power. The 2 bass (gain + frequency) and treble switches on the Arrow amp also work great imo :thumbsup:

With my Arrow 5P it only takes a minute or so to turn off after it looses input.

The Cayin C5 has a warmer signature to my ears, while the Arrow has a clearer signature with better extension.
To be honest I don't use the C5 that much anymore (only sometimes for full-size headphones)
I going to have to keep the Arrow in mind for the future. It has to wait right now since I just purchased the newest Fiio X7 Mk2 player. It's in route to me.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #3,997 of 4,123
Just pulled the trigger on a second hand 5TX after finally giving up on my Martin HVA portable tube amp, which I loved, barring its overly polite bottom end and the endless, infuriating ringing from the valves.

Kind of excited having read the thread, really hoping this is going to have the warm, full sound I love, with a proper bass bump and genuine portability!

Anyone tried it with the LZ A4 or Fidelio X2??

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #3,998 of 4,123
I’m actually quite disappointed in this thread. You’d think with almost 265 pages that at least someone out there would be able to reply to my previous post or the one prior to that, yet not a single person has stepped forward. It’s quite sad and disconcerting.

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #3,999 of 4,123
I’m actually quite disappointed in this thread. You’d think with almost 265 pages that at least someone out there would be able to reply to my previous post or the one prior to that, yet not a single person has stepped forward. It’s quite sad and disconcerting.
Well, it might be possible that there's not an active member around here, that has heard the Arrow G4 and a newer model (I've only heard the 5P myself) as well.
I don't think the 'no reply so far' is a personal thing against you.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #4,000 of 4,123
But like I said, this thread is 267 pages, comprised of people who have various versions of the Arrow. I think it’s therefor just another case of where people sometimes post in an online forum and then simply, for reasons unknown, stop posting thereafter.

All I can do is continue to repeat the question...

For those of you with more than one Arrow amp, how does the G4 model compared with newer models?

Thank you.

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #4,001 of 4,123
Well, it might be possible that there's not an active member around here, that has heard the Arrow G4 and a newer model (I've only heard the 5P myself) as well.
I don't think the 'no reply so far' is a personal thing against you.
Precisely!

Also, reason I didn't answer @jhog is that I am the one who sold it to him. And I wouldn't have done that if I hadn't bought a dap that cost 3000$ and needed to sell off a lot of stuff. I love that amp, it is seriously addictive. If the EQ of the Sony wasn't so good and didn't have balanced then...but no dap I have tried has better sound single ended than the 5tx,and the eq capabilities are unmatched to be honest. I would probably say that a good source paired with this is at least the level of Sony Wm1z single ended. Balanced is different

Oct 15, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #4,002 of 4,123
Precisely!

Also, reason I didn't answer @jhog is that I am the one who sold it to him. And I wouldn't have done that if I hadn't bought a dap that cost 3000$ and needed to sell off a lot of stuff. I love that amp, it is seriously addictive. If the EQ of the Sony wasn't so good and didn't have balanced then...but no dap I have tried has better sound single ended than the 5tx,and the eq capabilities are unmatched to be honest. I would probably say that a good source paired with this is at least the level of Sony Wm1z single ended. Balanced is different

Crikey, that is high praise indeed, I start to feel honored to have bought your little 5TX off you! I very nearly went for a Vorzuge, but am increasingly thinking I made the right call/ got lucky!

Let's see when it turns up next week, I hope my stolidly midfi set up does it justice...

Oct 15, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #4,003 of 4,123
Crikey, that is high praise indeed, I start to feel honored to have bought your little 5TX off you! I very nearly went for a Vorzuge, but am increasingly thinking I made the right call/ got lucky!

Let's see when it turns up next week, I hope my stolidly midfi set up does it justice...
I had two Vorzuge amps whike I had three Arrows. Now I dont have the Vorzuges but I still have the Arrows.

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #4,004 of 4,123
Sooo... just spent the last day or so getting to know this amp (5TX Normal edition) and my first impression was.... disappointed. Coming from the Martin Hybrid Valve Amp (HVA) I wondered how anyone could think this little amp sounded tubey, I mean, where were all the lovely mids??! I had a moment of genuine, panicky buyers remorse.

And then I found the bass frequency switch.

Good gravy! Pop that to M or H and the whole thing comes alive! It's glorious! The mids dance, the bass thumps (on 1, it positively rumbles away on 2, can't even imagine what the extended version must be like) and the treble switch turns my lovely but slightly dark Fidelio X2s into sparkly lusciousness. I now truly see how astonished people are at the versatility of such a tiny device - everything from rock to pop to classical to dub electro sounds breathtaking, with a quick fiddle of the switches. It's a cracker!

I do though have a question: what does the bass frequency switch actually do?? It appears to thicken and boost frequencies across the scale and to my mind makes a night and day difference, but I can't quite put my finger on the principle of it. Wiser minds than mine appreciated....

Thank you @Blommen, I'll treasure this little pocket monster!

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #4,005 of 4,123
Here is a freq response for the 5TX.
headstage_arrow_5tx_switches.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back