Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Feb 7, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #3,977 of 4,123
Their not ready yet, last I saw he had the circuit boards done. I don't know what stage in the process that is but hopefully close to done.

He changed a few things in the design so it's been delayed for awhile. I would expect a few more months.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #3,978 of 4,123

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #3,979 of 4,123

Is that the new 6TX?

I've got the 5TX - is this new one worth the upgrade (if it is an upgrade)?

How long did you have to wait this time from order to delivery?

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #3,980 of 4,123
Is that the new 6TX?

I've got the 5TX - is this new one worth the upgrade (if it is an upgrade)?

How long did you have to wait this time from order to delivery?
Temp loaner until the 6TX.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #3,981 of 4,123
Thread died?

Is the 6TX shipping already? Anyone has the enhanced bass version? How does it compare to the 5TX enhanced?

And from few pages back I see that the 6TX was supposed to costs 349$ and now it's 399$. Anyone knows why the price was raised?

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,982 of 4,123
Thread died?

Is the 6TX shipping already? Anyone has the enhanced bass version? How does it compare to the 5TX enhanced?

And from few pages back I see that the 6TX was supposed to costs 349$ and now it's 399$. Anyone knows why the price was raised?
I have three Arrow amps. One is a loaner from Robert until I get the 6 arrives.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #3,983 of 4,123
So here's the big question.

I have the Cayin C5 amp. It's said to be basshead's best friend. Yes, I like it a lot, but only the amp section. I don't like its bass boost that much, as it's too boomy for my tastes. I like boosting (a lot) subbass frequencies (below 60hz).
So is the Arrow's bass boost any good in that department?

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #3,984 of 4,123
So here's the big question.

I have the Cayin C5 amp. It's said to be basshead's best friend. Yes, I like it a lot, but only the amp section. I don't like its bass boost that much, as it's too boomy for my tastes. I like boosting (a lot) subbass frequencies (below 60hz).
So is the Arrow's bass boost any good in that department?
The best, I had all the rest. You can boost only the sub bass if you desire that. Or you can boost the mid bass or full bass. You can also boost the treble which is great with the 2.5.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #3,985 of 4,123
Quite a number of years ago, I ordered a Headstone Lyrix. Robert shipped me a Caffeine instead, which isn't really a bad amp at all; but in 2012, Robert kindly wrote me that I could keep the amp and he would ship me an Arrow G4 to complete my order (since I originally ordered the Lyrix, not the Caffeine). Then in 2015, Robert sent me another email saying the following:

If you like to get a new amp you may upgrade to the Arrow 5TX now. It has the AD8620 opamp and two BUF634 buffers on the output--configured in the famous Walter Jung topology with class-A biasing. The sound quality is better than your old amp. Besides this, the 5TX has a 65-step digital volume control, an USB DAC and a world-new “FREQ” switch to adjust the frequency range of the bass boost. (The DAC may connect to mobile phones or PC/Mac systems.)

I never upgraded to that amp because I was satisfied with my Arrow G4. Now it's 2017 and I am getting email updates from this thread again, and see some of you posting about the Arrow 6TX. It's nice to see that Robert is continuing to innovate. But as to whether I would upgrade from an Arrow G4 to a 6TX, that would depend on how noticeable the differences would be. Does anyone have an Arrow G4 and newer models with which to compare (features and sound)?

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #3,986 of 4,123
Ok, I've officially joined the club (waiting for 6TX, in the meantime got loaner 5TX). This amp is for real! My god, this little (it's so tiny!) fella can pump some serious bass - WOW! The first amp I'm totally happy with after spending only half an hour.
But it's not only the bass, the whole spectrum sounds just fantastic coming from Cayin C5 (which isn't bad at all). Even the treble boost sounds really cool - might use is from time to time, although I prefer more a smooth/darkly sound.

One question, how is the power option supposed to work? When I put on A (automatic), is the light supposed to shut off, when I remove it from the source? If yes, how long does it take to shut it off?

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,987 of 4,123
Ok, I've officially joined the club (waiting for 6TX, in the meantime got loaner 5TX). This amp is for real! My god, this little (it's so tiny!) fella can pump some serious bass - WOW! The first amp I'm totally happy with after spending only half an hour.
But it's not only the bass, the whole spectrum sounds just fantastic coming from Cayin C5 (which isn't bad at all). Even the treble boost sounds really cool - might use is from time to time, although I prefer more a smooth/darkly sound.

One question, how is the power option supposed to work? When I put on A (automatic), is the light supposed to shut off, when I remove it from the source? If yes, how long does it take to shut it off?
Attachment.jpg

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #3,988 of 4,123

Would you say that it sounds better than the cayin c5? or same?

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #3,989 of 4,123

In the bass department - definitely better. The bass boost option is miles away from Cayin's, which I never liked that much.
Rest of the spectrum - will be hard to compare, as my Cayin died, but I would say it's also better. Maybe my brain's playing tricks :wink:, but from the first listen I was surprised with the clarity. And it that's not enough, the treble boost is really nice (I'm not a treblehead).
This is only the second time, when I was wowed right away (the first time was with the Audeze LCD-2F).

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #3,990 of 4,123

I also have the Cayin C5 and an Arrow 5P, which I usually have connected (Crystal Piccolino IC) to a FiiO X5 (1st gen).
Amazing how such a small amp can deliver so much power. The 2 bass (gain + frequency) and treble switches on the Arrow amp also work great imo :thumbsup:

With my Arrow 5P it only takes a minute or so to turn off after it looses input.
The Cayin C5 has a warmer signature to my ears, while the Arrow has a clearer signature with better extension.
To be honest I don't use the C5 that much anymore (only sometimes for full-size headphones)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back