Headphones - WORN!!! - new thread - no nudity
Sep 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #5,146 of 5,187
Starting em young! Woodied some SR60s for a family friends daughter who likes em more than beats!

so darn cool
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #5,148 of 5,187

Sennheiser Urbanite

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #5,153 of 5,187
Nina Hagen in the studio ~'83 with I suspect AKG K240M ( likely not the Sextett so that has to be it,  but its got to be one of those two ) Guess I need to keep them now
ph34r.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #5,156 of 5,187

Now, which British headphone brand is this? We need the answer once and for all. I mean this is the headphone partly responsible for the song balance on some of the world's most popular music. Hear me, Mr John Willett et al.

These are "Super K" military headphones by S.G. Brown, a London-based firm. And apparently they sound like crap.

Here is a quote from the source identifying these:

"There were very few headphones available in the 1960s. Abbey Road used a model made by electronics manufacturer S.G. Brown from Acton, north London, who had made radio communication equipment for the army during the war. The military-surplus Super K model were the only headphones that Abbey Road used up until 1969 and had several limitations. Not only were they mono, but they suffered from extremely poor audio quality, having been designed originally for communicating in difficult conditions. They had an enhanced mid-range and no bass or treble to speak of. However, they were virtually indestructible and probably purchased for their ruggedness rather than audio quality."

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #5,157 of 5,187

This girl should be smiling - she's wearing my favorite sub - $100 headphone, the Koss UR-40.

Titanium driver, very neutral and detailed sound. They weigh nothing so you can wear them for days without a rest. They also do not touch your ears, unless the ears are VERY large.  

The cons they have are not deal breakers, but they are notable: they should be sturdier, it's too easy to pull the cord out of one or the other earpiece, rendering them useless. If you step on them, they will break. I had one pair where the c-shaped hinge holding the earpiece went bad on them. I've had the cord break off where the left and right leads combine about a foot below your chin.  It's a damn good thing Koss has the mail them in get a new pair for $10 policy. I've collected on this deal a few times.

They have had the list price drop over time to $40, and so you can get a pair off Amazon for $24-26 plus shipping. In my opinion, the sonics blow away a lot of much more expensive headphones - just as an example all but the Aviators in the SkullCandy line sound much worse than the Koss titanium 'phones.  I would rather wear the Koss than ANY pair of Grados, all of which have a really sizzly top end I find intolerable. The $700+ Grados are less hyped, but if you have treble sensitivity like I do, you understand me perfectly.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #5,158 of 5,187
Here are some vintage cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back