Headphones with good mid and deep bass?
Feb 13, 2011 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Darksair

New Head-Fier
Hi, all.  I'm thinking of buying a decent pair of cans.  I prefer them to have good mid and deep bass.  The bass doen't have to be strong, but it better be deep and clean.  And I prefer an overall warm sound.  I have an ibasso D2+ boa.

I also have a pair of um3x, and I love them.  I hope my new phones have a somewhat similar signature (with a bigger soundstage of course~).

I'm considering HD600.  Any suggestions?

BTW, the budget is $400~

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
Hi, all.  I'm thinking of buying a decent pair of cans.  I prefer them to have good mid and deep bass.  The bass doen't have to be strong, but it better be deep and clean.  And I prefer an overall warm sound.  I have an ibasso D2+ boa.

I also have a pair of um3x, and I love them.  I hope my new phones have a somewhat similar signature (with a bigger soundstage of course~).

I'm considering HD600.  Any suggestions?

BTW, the budget is $400~

HD 650 might be more up your alley.

headphone.com graphs are your friend if you want a headphone that goes deep. Many roll of quickly at the 100hz point and you can hear this very obviously. Checking graphs help have a reference for peoples opinions which are all over the place.

If it doesn't go down to 20hz without significant roll off, it doesn't go deep despite what anyone says.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 8
HD650 is relatively dark sounded and has otherwise the characteristics you might want.

I have it since it was released here in Germany and sometimes prefer it over the HD800, HD600 and other cans because of its warm tone in the sound.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
HD 650 might be more up your alley.  
headphone.com graphs are your friend if you want a headphone that goes deep. Many roll of quickly at the 100hz point and you can hear this very obviously. Checking graphs help have a reference for peoples opinions which are all over the place.

If it doesn't go down to 20hz without significant roll off, it doesn't go deep despite what anyone says.

Thank you for the info.  I saw these curves before actually.  What bothers me about HD650 is that big mountain around 100Hz.  Will it somehow overwhelm the treble?

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
HD650 is relatively dark sounded and has otherwise the characteristics you might want.

I have it since it was released here in Germany and sometimes prefer it over the HD800, HD600 and other cans because of its warm tone in the sound.

Thanks for your reply~~  Hmm...  How is the treble of HD650 comparing to HD600?  And what are you using to drive them?

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm using a Corda Cantate.2 and before I've used a Corda Arietta. Both work very fine with the HD650.

The treble of the HD650 is more refined, but don't be scared, it's not harsh, neither on the HD600 nor on the HD650.

The HD650 is easy to listen to and gives you a plenty amount of details and laid back dark sound with a great openness and a well controlled bass.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I'm using a Corda Cantate.2 and before I've used a Corda Arietta. Both work very fine with the HD650.

The treble of the HD650 is more refined, but don't be scared, it's not harsh, neither on the HD600 nor on the HD650.

The HD650 is easy to listen to and gives you a plenty amount of details and laid back dark sound with a great openness and a well controlled bass.

I can confirm that :)

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 8
Well, thank you all very much for your suggestions, I think I'll go order a pair of HD650 tomorrow~~
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back