Headphones with bass and great sound. Help please
Aug 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ankitjain1983

New Head-Fier
Hi,

i am in market for a new pair of headphones. I dont mind either over ear or on ear. Here are my requirements:-

1. Should have great Bass/beats - Dance, electronic, trance music. Also the mid and highs should be decent.
2. I plan to use with laptop and in office. So should not or minimally disturb others around me.
3. Should be fashionable enough.
4. Portable and not tooo big.
5. Price under 300 USD

I dont mind battery operated but may be reluctant to use an Amplifier.

I have been looking M50, V-moda m80/v80, Beats studio. I am not able to figure which would be a good fit for my requirements. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated and helpful

Cheers
AJ

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 15
From your requirements I'd say the V-Moda's would be your best choice!
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 15
I have the M50s and M-80s- bass is good on both, but hits a little harder with the M-80s. Mid-range on the M-80s is more pronounced which I prefer. Both are built very well, however M-80s look better and are smaller- supra-aural vs the M50s which are circumaural. Neither leak sound, however the M-80s let in more sound. M-80s take a little longer to become comfortable.

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Ha. Fairly subjective is the "good sound" bit and there's more to music than bass. Or is there?

Exactly. Noobs are always looking for "balanced sound" or something like "great bass but decent midrange and treble". They just don't understand how things work. I guess it's natural for people to just assume that at a certain price point, a headphone should have little no flaws. 

Interestingly enough, I've once read a head'fier comment:
1. In the beginning, you look for bass. 
2. Gradually you start to look for treble (more detail/ revealing) 
3. By the end of your audiophile journey, you look for midrange. 

Honestly, I think "great" music integrates all parts of the sound spectrum usually. I personally can't stand dubstep / rap/ electronic dance and the such, due to their linearity. I find that for such genres, an expensive headphone is hardly necessary. Bass is best produced from speakers, rather than headphones. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 15
Do you think he should have his speakers in the office then?
tongue.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Interestingly enough, I've once read a head'fier comment:
1. In the beginning, you look for bass. 
2. Gradually you start to look for treble (more detail/ revealing) 
3. By the end of your audiophile journey, you look for midrange. 

Honestly, I think "great" music integrates all parts of the sound spectrum usually. I personally can't stand dubstep / rap/ electronic dance and the such, due to their linearity. I find that for such genres, an expensive headphone is hardly necessary. Bass is best produced from speakers, rather than headphones. 

1. Seasoned audiophiles by then knows and understand what it takes to reproduce bass.
2. Seasoned audiophiles by then knows that most recordings highs are terrible.
3. Seasoned audiophiles by then knows that the most musical and satisfying system is a pair of high efficient speakers powered by low watt SET amps.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 15
Hi All,

Thank you for your replies. Just to be clear its not that i have to buy any of these headphones. You can even suggest me better headphones as well. Will i need an Amp with the M-80?

Thanks
AJ

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Do you think he should have his speakers in the office then?
tongue.gif

If he is fine with being fired from his job, I highly recommend it. 
Quote:

1. Seasoned audiophiles by then knows and understand what it takes to reproduce bass.
2. Seasoned audiophiles by then knows that most recordings highs are terrible.
3. Seasoned audiophiles by then knows that the most musical and satisfying system is a pair of high efficient speakers powered by low watt SET amps.

Lol I agree. I don't even plan to "upgrade" the HD 598s that I own. Most higher up headphones that I've heard - and even the ones I haven't heard - all come with disadvantages despite some superior technicalities. Might as well invest in something that serves a purpose, like a closed headphone for noise isolation or a set of speakers... 

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Hi Nimble turtle,

I was the one who PM you. I think i am not allowed to send more than 2 PM messages...  BTW my needs are as follows:-

1. Should have great Bass/beats - Dance, electronic, trance music. Also the mid and highs should be decent.
2. I plan to use with laptop and in office. So should not or minimally disturb others around me.
4. Price under 300 USD

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Hi Nimble turtle,

I was the one who PM you. I think i am not allowed to send more than 2 PM messages...  BTW my needs are as follows:-

4. Price under 300 USD

How noisy will the office be? Anyways, meanwhile i think you should look into the thread I was talking about:http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Don't worry too much about the mids and highs. Just worry about the bass and you're guaranteed to be satisfied with those genres. I'm definitely thinking you should get a circumaural headphone now, instead of a supraaural one, since you're using this in a more home-like environment and comfort should be prioritized. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 15
Hi All,

Went to Microsoft Store and tried both M-80 and Crossfade Lp2. I preferred LP2 as they had better bass, were over the ear and was in the same price range.. Are there any headphones better than Crossfade Lp2 in the same price range..I must say that the bass is really good on lp2 and it doesnot have bad Mids and highs either..

Thanks
AJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back