Headphones under $300
Jan 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

basshead1

100+ Head-Fier
Im sorry that im not posting this in the "buying headphones" section, but i find that section doesnt work well for me. I usually only get about one reply and no mix of advice :frowning2:. Sorry. Hello all! Im looking for a pair of headphones under $300, preferably open for better soundstage. I would like the headphones to please sound"fun" and not "analytical". I have a few priorities. 1. Works good with fiio e9. 2. Crystal clear vocals... I hate veiled and unclear vocals 3. Good bass, as i listen to rap. Thanks so much in advance!

Sent from my htc thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 11
Denon D2K. 
>huge soundstage
Check. Soundstage and instrument separation is awesome.
>I would like the headphones to please sound "fun" and not "analytical".
Check.
>1. Works good with fiio e9.
Check. 
2. Crystal clear vocals... I hate veiled and unclear vocals
Check. Women vocals are crystal clear, but can be sibilant sometimes, though.
>3. Good bass, as i listen to rap.
Best bass i've heard in headphones. Yes, you can find the cans with better bass, but they cost $1k+

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 11
Denon D2K. 
>huge soundstage
Check. Soundstage and instrument separation is awesome.
>I would like the headphones to please sound "fun" and not "analytical".
Check.
>1. Works good with fiio e9.
Check. 
2. Crystal clear vocals... I hate veiled and unclear vocals
Check. Women vocals are crystal clear, but can be sibilant sometimes, though.
>3. Good bass, as i listen to rap.
Best bass i've heard in headphones. Yes, you can find the cans with better bass, but they cost $1k+

Thanks so much! I will look into these!

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 11
The cans from my own experience with the best sound stage would be the K701/702. However, the barely have any bass.

If you want open cans with some decent bass, I would go with the Beyerdynamic DT990.

Sennheiser is right above the Beyerdynamic, at least for me. The HD650 is definitely worth the buck. They like the K701/702 have a crazy nice sound stage. They perform better in the bass department as opposed to the K701/702, but have less bass compared to the DT990. Moreover, I actually like the way they sound over the K701/702 seeing that to me, they sound a lot smoother, warmer, and don't fatigue your ears within minutes. I would also pick them over the DT990 because they are just perfectly balanced to my ears. The DT990 is somewhat colorful, I don't like the sound they produce that much.

1. If you want to go with a huge sound stage and balance of everything else, HD650 is your boy.
  2. If you want amazing bass, look at the Denon AH-D2000 (closed-back headphones always produce great bass).
  3. If you want bass with a good sound stage, though not the greatest of all sound stages, look at the Beyerdynamic DT990.
  4. If you want just sound stage and nothing else, barely any bass, look at the K701/702 from AKG.

My pick for your preference goes to the HD650.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
The cans from my own experience with the best sound stage would be the K701/702. However, the barely have any bass.

If you want open cans with some decent bass, I would go with the Beyerdynamic DT990.

Sennheiser is right above the Beyerdynamic, at least for me. The HD650 is definitely worth the buck. They like the K701/702 have a crazy nice sound stage. They perform better in the bass department as opposed to the K701/702, but have less bass compared to the DT990. Moreover, I actually like the way they sound over the K701/702 seeing that to me, they sound a lot smoother, warmer, and don't fatigue your ears within minutes. I would also pick them over the DT990 because they are just perfectly balanced to my ears. The DT990 is somewhat colorful, I don't like the sound they produce that much.

1. If you want to go with a huge sound stage and balance of everything else, HD650 is your boy.
  2. If you want amazing bass, look at the Denon AH-D2000 (closed-back headphones always produce great bass).
  3. If you want bass with a good sound stage, though not the greatest of all sound stages, look at the Beyerdynamic DT990.
  4. If you want just sound stage and nothing else, barely any bass, look at the K701/702 from AKG.

My pick for your preference goes to the HD650.

The 650's are really great, but you may need to get an amp to drive them...HD 595's also offer a sound stage, just a tad cheaper.(Keep in mind both the Sennheiser's prices are sorta inflated on Amazon right now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back