Headphones under $300-electronic and Hip Hop Oriented
Jan 28, 2014 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

SilentxStatik24

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I havent been on this forum for awhile but I would love your help on finding a pair of new cans.

I love electronic, edm, hip hop, rock and roll. A bunch of genres but since I already have a pair of sr-60is, I want my new cans to be focused on edm and hip hop.

Some examples include Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Kendrick Lamar, Tangerine Dream.

Doesnt matter if the headphones are open or closed. I do want over ear though, being used for home listening.

I want the headphones to be alive, not neutral. I want a signature that captures the sound of those artists above with style.

Ive been looking at Beyerdynamic, but I dont know where to begin with the models.

I'm completely lost, please help!

Silent.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 20
Since you're mainly looking at electronic and hip-hop I would say go with the V-Moda M-100. Those genres don't exactly need large soundstage so I wouldn't worry about them being closed, but if you do want a good open pair definitely check out the HiFiMAN HE-400 since they're on sale for $300 right now and are definitely the best you can get for that cheap. In fact they're my favorite headphones under $500 personally. So basically the HE-400 is much better than the M-100, but the M-100 has more bass quantity so it might be better for the genres you like.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 20
Honestly not really. I've used it many times on my iPod 5.5G and don't need to put it past 3/4 volume, and when I use an amp or a CD player I never put the volume knob past about 9 o clock. I would recommend buying a desktop amp and DAC like the Schiit stack, the 02/ODAC, the HUD-MX2, or the Audio-GD 11.32. It's not necessary, but will bring out the most in the HE-400.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks for the reply! I have the he-400s in mind!

Are there any other headphones $300 or under that have what I  am looking for? Beyerdynamics? Denons? Sennheisers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Silent.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 20
V-Moda's M-100s come to mind here.  Can't think up of many others that would work for those genres but *aren't* neutral.  If graphs have anything to say about the HE-400, they are close to neutral with a slightly reserved treble.  The V-Moda do have a slight V-shape to them.  If you're looking for something less v-shaped, but still balanced, the Focal Spirit One may work.  If you are sensitive to treble, the NAD HP50 would be my suggestion (or the HE-400). 

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 20
  V-Moda's M-100s come to mind here.  Can't think up of many others that would work for those genres but *aren't* neutral.  If graphs have anything to say about the HE-400, they are close to neutral with a slightly reserved treble.  The V-Moda do have a slight V-shape to them.  If you're looking for something less v-shaped, but still balanced, the Focal Spirit One may work.  If you are sensitive to treble, the NAD HP50 would be my suggestion (or the HE-400).

I guess I shouldn't have said neutral, I just don't want headphones that are uninteresting or flat; not really sure if that makes sense.

The V-Modas look interesting; how do those compare to the HE-400 which I am thinking about right now.

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #10 of 20
  I guess I shouldn't have said neutral, I just don't want headphones that are uninteresting or flat; not really sure if that makes sense.

The V-Modas look interesting; how do those compare to the HE-400 which I am thinking about right now.

Well, the HE-400 is something that would be considered relatively flat, but with a spike in the upper mids/lower treble...  It has bass depth which is a good thing.  I would still say M-100 over HE-400 based on what I've read...  Although I haven't heard them personally :/ 

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 20

Well, the HE-400 is something that would be considered relatively flat, but with a spike in the upper mids/lower treble...  It has bass depth which is a good thing.  I would still say M-100 over HE-400 based on what I've read...  Although I haven't heard them personally :/

I already have a pair of Sony xb-500 cans as well as Grado SR-60is. How is the HE-400 as an all around can? Some albums that I will be listening to: Random Access Memories, Thriller (MJ), Led Zeppelin II, Songs About Jane, Tommy (the Who)

I basically want an all around can that is easy to drive, doesn't need to be portable or closed, has good bass but not a massive amount (xb500 has me covered with that aspect, looks like the V-Modas are that way as well)

Completely lost here.
redface.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 20
  I already have a pair of Sony xb-500 cans as well as Grado SR-60is. How is the HE-400 as an all around can? Some albums that I will be listening to: Random Access Memories, Thriller (MJ), Led Zeppelin II, Songs About Jane, Tommy (the Who)

I basically want an all around can that is easy to drive, doesn't need to be portable or closed, has good bass but not a massive amount (xb500 has me covered with that aspect, looks like the V-Modas are that way as well)

Completely lost here.
redface.gif

If you want something that works as an all around can, the HE-400 would probably be a good choice.  I can't say for sure as I haven't heard it personally :/  The M-100 isn't as bass heavy as others say it is.  It's due to the fact that the M-100's bass doesn't linger around as long due to the quicker decay.  If you are going to get the XL pads, that's a different story though as the decay slows a bit and bass gets bigger. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 20

If you want something that works as an all around can, the HE-400 would probably be a good choice.  I can't say for sure as I haven't heard it personally :/  The M-100 isn't as bass heavy as others say it is.  It's due to the fact that the M-100's bass doesn't linger around as long due to the quicker decay.  If you are going to get the XL pads, that's a different story though as the decay slows a bit and bass gets bigger.

Thanks so much for your help! I think I will pull the trigger on the HE400s, they look pretty amazing.

The most expensive cans that I own are the Grado sr-60i, so is it safe to say that I will experience a pretty big jump in terms of quality with the HE-400s?

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 20

Thanks so much for your help! I think I will pull the trigger on the HE400s, they look pretty amazing.

The most expensive cans that I own are the Grado sr-60i, so is it safe to say that I will experience a pretty big jump in terms of quality with the HE-400s?

Just a quick note though, the HE-400, although can be driven with just about anything, are much better when driven with proper power.  That is something I forgot to mention, I wouldn't call the HE-400 easy to properly drive, although they don't need as much power to be driven compared to other planar magnetic phones. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #15 of 20

Just a quick note though, the HE-400, although can be driven with just about anything, are much better when driven with proper power.  That is something I forgot to mention, I wouldn't call the HE-400 easy to properly drive, although they don't need as much power to be driven compared to other planar magnetic phones.

Ok, thanks for the heads-up! So will the Fiio E11 with a CD player being the source be enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back