headphones that sound like good bookshelf speakers/monitors?
Mar 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hello im sean

100+ Head-Fier
Hey headfi, i have some aktimate mini bookshelf speakers and they sound very nice.  I was wondering if there is a headphone/amp combo that could rival the sound quality of some decent bookshelves.  these speakers are considered entry level hifi gear.  I do have an NFB-12 dac that i run my speakers and headphones out of.  I use a pair of dt990 600ohms from my dacs integrated amp and they do sound good, but not on the same level as my bookselves.  I will be getting a dedicated tube amp for the headphones though, so i dont know if that will be a complete transormation of their sound or not..  (the bookshelves are powered speakers btw)  So any suggestions? these bookshelves retail at $700 so there should be a good headphone and amp combo that sounds the same for under that amount right? thanks

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
Hey headfi, i have some aktimate mini bookshelf speakers and they sound very nice.  I was wondering if there is a headphone/amp combo that could rival the sound quality of some decent bookshelves.  these speakers are considered entry level hifi gear.  I do have an NFB-12 dac that i run my speakers and headphones out of.  I use a pair of dt990 600ohms from my dacs integrated amp and they do sound good, but not on the same level as my bookselves.  I will be getting a dedicated tube amp for the headphones though, so i dont know if that will be a complete transormation of their sound or not..  (the bookshelves are powered speakers btw)  So any suggestions? these bookshelves retail at $700 so there should be a good headphone and amp combo that sounds the same for under that amount right? thanks

What specific attributes are you looking for from your headphone? Is it a specific sound signature? Out of head soundstage? (Not gonna go too well with headphones)

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 14
haha well, the best soundstage possible while maintaining a fairly neautral sound. i don't mind a u shaped sound though with extended bass and treble. detail is rather crucial to me too... I know thats asking for a lot, im probably demanding something closer to the 1k range of headphones huh?

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 14
Um I think I have hair in the drivers.. so I need to clean that, but also it just doesn't sound as natural and organic, seems more digitized, much smaller sound stage not quite as smooth. Compared to my bookshelves. But I do like them don't get me wrong. But I wondering what would fit my tastes best headphones wise. And if I can make the beyers sound significantly better somehow

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:

Way out of your budget, but the AKG K1000s are literally bookshelf speakers strapped to your head.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 14
it says it right above the pic... AKG k1000.  i did a little research, apparently they don't make them anymore, but when they did they went for $999 unfortunately out of my price range...

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
it says it right above the pic... AKG k1000.  i did a little research, apparently they don't make them anymore, but when they did they went for $999 unfortunately out of my price range...

Ya know, I realized that sony made this one thing called the PFR-V1 which is a lot like the K1000. Personal field speakers, they call it. It has been very recently discontinued, so you can probably find it for a lot lower.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PFRV1-Personal-Speaker-Headphones/dp/B0017IJALY

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 14
Beyers are more on digital side so that explains why you don't like the sound.  I recommend the HD6X0s or maybe the AKG 701.  Although I can't guarantee the soundstage will be large enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back