Headphones on 120$
Dec 18, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 23
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for you wallet...

How do you like to hear your music and is there a special purpose for the headphones you are looking for? 

Please be clear for your self and others...

Also consider:
  • Closed or open;
  • Amplification;
  • Use as in indoors or outdoors.

Good luck...

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 23
Deep Funk, I listen to mostly rock, indie, post-punk, classic rock, sometimes jazz, metal
answer:
1. closer
2.No, I do not think buying amp, just think to buy a sound card
3.only indoor

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 23
O.K. Are you a 'depends on the source/recording person'? I am the like that mostly, CDs for now. 

How the music is presented and makes you feel: close, less close (first two: intimate), small distance, moderate distance, etcetera... Do you favour a more weighty low end and good mids and highs or do you prefer more mids with less emphasis on the lows and highs? In short: how do you like to hear your music?

According to some the Grado SR60, otherwise SR80 is one of the best sounding headphones but not closed. Since you prefer closed without amplifier a Shure SRH440 or Sennheiser HD448 could work too. And that is just the start so check out some reviews and ask around on Head-Fi... Audio Technica, Denon, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Sony, Pioneer and Koss are just a few brands with possibly suitable headphones. 

I can tell you that if there is one headphone I can live with if I had to choose one for unamplified indoors use it would be my Sennheiser PX200 II. It does pretty much everything right and sounds good too. Number two for now is the AKG K181 which sounds better than I ever expected. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 23
i use 320 kbps mpr3 and flac.
sorry, but I'm not very good at it. I like to listen to music and I'm not very good I can not understand what you mean.
can be balanced and a little sugar-coated

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 23
Sennheiser HD555 if you can find them cheap.  The lowest price I saw them was $75 shipped.  You could probably find them used for ~$50-60 shipped, depending where and condition.

Although those are open ...  Hmm, well I don't know which closed cans are good in your price range.

The HD448 sounds like a good recommendation though.  I've heard nothing but good about the 448 and it's sibling the 428 (which I hear sounds very similar to the 448).

They should do well unamped, and if you have a good sound card all the better.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 23
Anjexuwhat a noise they create for others? it's easy to hear?
I just think that private is better for the environment. how do you m50 and 280 pro?
I also think about ad700

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 23
I heard the HD 280 Pro isn't that great - but opinions seem to be mixed.

The HD555's are open but the sound leakage isn't bad at all.  At normal listening volumes I have to strain to hear the music while the headphones are off (in my hands or on the desk).  It must be even harder for people in the room to hear.

Open headphones generally sound better for the same price (as closed headphones), and I don't think sound leakage is going to be a problem unless you're in a library or something.

In fact I can have conversations with my family members with my headphones on (and music playing) no problem.  Of course that can be a bad thing if there are sounds/noises in your house that you don't want to hear.  I personally just close the door and all is well if that's the case (vacuum, laundry, people in the living room, etc)

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #12 of 23
Oh, and I don't know enough about the M50 and AD700 to give you any real input.  From what I've read of them, they are great.  If at all possible, you should try and test them before buying - this is the only real way to test whether you like them or not.  Comfort also plays a big role in headphones, I've sold off headphones mainly due to comfort before even if they had great sound quality.

I don't think the HD555's are worth the money if you buy them brand new, retail, no discounts.  The current "normal" retail price is ~$130 here in Canada, which is kind of ridiculous.  The headphones themselves probably don't cost retailers that much, so sometimes they'll go on sale (Like the $75 sale sometime back).  If you can find them at the right price ($50-80, used or new) then that's a steal. 

As for the AD700?  I really don't know enough about them to comment.  You should try and find a local pair and see if they're comfortable or not for you, and if you like the sound they produce.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #14 of 23
Well, unfortunately nobody else seems to be posting/helping out, but part of the reason is that it would be difficult for you to communicate everything that you want in a pair of headphones.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the HD555s but remember, they're only worth them at a lower price point.  And since your budget is ~$120, perhaps there are some other headphones you could consider that might sound better than the 555s.

Just make sure that your source is good, and this isn't just the MP3/FLAC files you use, I'm talking about stuff like a good sound card or external DAC if you don't have one.

I can easily tell the difference between my Xonar DX and my iPod Nano as sources when listening through my HD555's, for example.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 23
I just can not say what exactly you need from my headphones.
I would like to clear balanced sound.
I do not have a sound card, because I am poor, but soon I think to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back