Headphones Newspaper Article (ATH-M50 vs. Beats Studio)
Sep 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mrtheking

New Head-Fier
Here is a story I wrote for my school newspaper Del. Aware. In the article I compare the headphones Beats Studio and Audio Technica ATH-M50 after conducting several blind tests on musicians and audiophiles. Note that due to spacing issues, the article's length is limited, and therefore I could not give explicit details concerning the results of my test. Comments and criticisms are welcome. 

Nathanael King
Science and Technology
Word Count: 279

Studio Headphones go Head to Head in Blind Survey

Since 2008, when a line of headphones by Monster Cable called the Dre. Beats took the tech world by storm, there has been a large debate concerning the sound quality they present when compared to the Audio Technica M50- considered to be the best headphones one can but for under 200$.

Yessenia and Carlos Echeverri(Senior, Graduate) and Billy Babcock of Asmara conducted a blind test and voted in favor of the Beats Studios. 

“Good things are pricey,” said Yessenia in reference to the questionable price of the Beats (+/-$300). “The Beats Studio is a lot clearer. You can definitely pick up small things in there.” 

While the Beats have received praise from Asmara for an extremely powerful bass, it is the same bass that has earned the Beats criticism, and a somewhat better balance of sound in the M50 that has attracted consumers and professionals alike. 

Rich Murray, a record collector and music aficionado, favored the M50 over the bass-heavy Beats. 

“The bass distorted the quality of the music. It didn’t sound natural,” he said. 

Christopher King, a creative director for Endless Echo also favored the M50. “The M50 is much clearer, there is a lot more nuance between the different instruments... you can hear the different voices and instruments much more clearly than you can in the Beats.”

My opinion after carefully listening to both pairs is that while the Beats are flashier and more comfortable, a consumer’s money is better spent on the more affordable Audio Technica M50 which gives a more honest - yet fulfilling - sound. Honestly, I can’t find justify spending a single dollar on the Beats, let alone $300.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 17
"..the Audio Technica M50- considered to be the best headphones one can but for under 200$."

Although perhaps the majority view of the teens to 20's demographic, this certainly not the universal opinion around here.  Many of us find the Shure SRH 840 and KRK KNS 8400 (closed) and the Senn HD 558, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR 125i & 225i and/or Alessandro MS1i (open) to be superior to the M50.  This list is not intended to be exhaustive.

The M50 blows away anything I have heard from Beats--but that's a low bar.

BTW--you have a typo in the quoted section.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 17
Thank you for your comments. Please note that the article is directed towards (and written by) the teenage demographic. I am very new to the Head-Fi world, and I am hear to learn.  And sorry about the typo, I should have waited until my article was copy-edited as the issue it will appear in isn't set to be circulated 2 weeks from now.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 17
Coming from a fellow high schooler, allow me to edit. My input in bold or paretheses. I'm sorry, but you need some help with your sentence structure. (Because the world sucks, I probably got some of my corrections wrong, so other people please feel free to correct me. I've spent all day writing college application essays and I'm in a grammary mood)

Quote:
Here is a story I wrote for my school newspaper Del. Aware. In the article I compare the headphones Beats Studio and Audio Technica ATH-M50 after conducting several blind tests on musicians and audiophiles. Note that due to spacing issues, the article's length is limited, and therefore I could not give explicit details concerning the results of my test. Comments and criticisms are welcome. 

Nathanael King
Science and Technology
Word Count: 279

Studio Headphones Go Head to Head in Blind Test

Since 2008, when a line of headphones by Monster Cable called the Beats by Dre took the tech world by storm, a heated (large is too vague) debate has been waged (avoid expletive sentences [Sentences starting with "there]) concerning the sound quality Beats (ambiguity; technically "they" refers to the debate because of the pesky clause) present compared to other headphones under $200, such as the immensely popular Audio Technica M50. (Absolutes create some problems, so remove them if possible)

Yessenia and Carlos Echeverri (Senior, Graduate) and Billy Babcock of Asmara conducted (Did they conduct it or were they the subjects?) a blind test and voted in favor of the Beats Studios. 

“Good things are pricey,” said Yessenia in reference to the questionable price of the Beats (+/-$300). “The Beats Studio is a lot clearer. You can definitely pick up small things in there.” 

While the Beats received praise from Asmara for its extremely powerful bass, ironically, Beats are criticized because of their overbearing, unrefined bass. (You need to describe why the bass earns criticism) The M50's more balanced sound has attracted both consumers and professionals. (Totally different topics should be separated)

Rich Murray, a record collector and music aficionado, favored the M50 over the bass-heavy Beats. 

“The bass distorted the quality of the music. It didn’t sound natural,” he said. 

Christopher King, a creative director for Endless Echo also favored the M50. “The M50 is much clearer, there is a lot more nuance between the different instruments... you can hear the different voices and instruments much more clearly than you can in the Beats.”

My opinion after carefully listening to both pairs is that while the Beats are flashier and more comfortable, a consumer’s money is better spent on the more affordable Audio Technica M50. (Run-on sentence) The M50 has a more honest, yet fulfilling sound. Honestly, I can’t find justify spending a single dollar on the Beats, let alone $300. (Don't end with such a grandiose hyperbole unless you can explain why. Better sound doesn't exactly justify why you can't justify spending a single dollar.)

I actually ended up with ten fewer words! Unparenthesized text:
Since 2008, when a line of headphones by Monster Cable called the Beats by Dre took the tech world by storm, a heated debate has been waged concerning the sound quality Beats present compared to other headphones under $200, such as the immensely popular Audio Technica M50.

Yessenia and Carlos Echeverri (Senior, Graduate) and Billy Babcock of Asmara conducted a blind test and voted in favor of the Beats Studios. 

“Good things are pricey,” said Yessenia in reference to the questionable price of the Beats ($129.95-$399.95+). “The Beats Studio is a lot clearer. You can definitely pick up small things in there.” 

While the Beats received praise from Asmara for its extremely powerful bass, ironically, Beats are criticized because of their overbearing, unrefined bass. The M50's more balanced sound has attracted both consumers and professionals. 

My opinion after carefully listening to both pairs is that while the Beats are flashier and more comfortable, a consumer’s money is better spent on the more affordable Audio Technica M50. The M50 has a more honest, yet fulfilling, sound. Honestly, I can’t find justify spending a single dollar on the Beats, let alone $300. 

Quote:
"..the Audio Technica M50- considered to be the best headphones one can but for under 200$."

Although perhaps the majority view of the teens to 20's demographic, this certainly not the universal opinion around here.  Many of us find the Shure SRH 840 and KRK KNS 8400 (closed) and the Senn HD 558, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, Grado SR 125i & 225i and/or Alessandro MS1i (open) to be superior to the M50.  This list is not intended to be exhaustive.

Yeah adding "one of the" before best would be the ideal solution. Opinions may vary, but that's exactly why they're not the best headphones under $200, or even $100.

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Coming from a fellow high schooler, allow me to edit. My input in bold or paretheses. I'm sorry, but you need some help with your sentence structure. (Because the world sucks, I probably got some of my corrections wrong, so other people please feel free to correct me. I've spent all day writing college application essays and I'm in a grammary mood)

Yeah adding "one of the" before best would be the ideal solution. Opinions may vary, but that's exactly why they're not the best headphones under $200, or even $100.

Thank you for your comments, you made some great points that I overlooked when I originally wrote the article. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 17

Speaking of that list of headphones, what would you say out of that list is best oriented towards pop, alternative, and rock from an unamped iPod Touch? I am looking for an alternative to the M50s.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Speaking of that list of headphones, what would you say out of that list is best oriented towards pop, alternative, and rock from an unamped iPod Touch? I am looking for an alternative to the M50s.

The Shure SRH 840 or KRK KNS 8400 would be best for unamped portable use.  If you prefer a mid bass hump and highs that are a bit recessed, go with the Shure.  If you want a brighter but overall more neutral sound, pick the KRK.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 17
The Shure SRH 840 or KRK KNS 8400 would be best for unamped portable use.  If you prefer a mid bass hump and highs that are a bit recessed, go with the Shure.  If you want a brighter but overall more neutral sound, pick the KRK.

Been looking at the Shures for some time now. I was considering the DT770s but the sibilance and the inredibly recessed vocals was a turnoff.

Compared to the M50S, the Shures I know are more neutral. But I'm wondering if the Shures will sound too clinical and analytical? And what about soundstage?

Would there be anything similar to the D2000s in this price range?

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Been looking at the Shures for some time now. I was considering the DT770s but the sibilance and the inredibly recessed vocals was a turnoff.
Compared to the M50S, the Shures I know are more neutral. But I'm wondering if the Shures will sound too clinical and analytical? And what about soundstage?
Would there be anything similar to the D2000s in this price range?

If you listen to poorly made tracks, the 940 will spit that back to you.  However, for quality tracks they sound great.  The 940 sound stage is excellent for a closed can.

I know of nothing similar to the D2000 in its pirce class, even as it exits today in the low $300's.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 17
Oh oops I meant anything similar to the Denons in the $150s

Right now I'm looking at the 80 ohm DT770s vs SRH840s vs Hi-Fi780s vs Ultrasone Pro550s vs ATH-M50s but I'm so unsure of picking something!! LOL
I have no amp and listen to rock, pop, and a lot of mainstream music

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Oh oops I meant anything similar to the Denons in the $150s
Right now I'm looking at the 80 ohm DT770s vs SRH840s vs Hi-Fi780s vs Ultrasone Pro550s vs ATH-M50s but I'm so unsure of picking something!! LOL
I have no amp and listen to rock, pop, and a lot of mainstream music

The DT 770 and M50 are the closest (but not real close).  They all share different sub-flavors of the "V" shaped sound signature.

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Here's a poll that has received 221, and at this current time the ATH-M50 are leading as the best headphones for under 200$ (53 votes), with the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro trailing behind (44). http://www.head-fi.org/t/621283/poll-best-headphones-under-200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back