Headphones most suitable for kpop?
Feb 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

WGkeon

New Head-Fier
Hi a newbie here, i was searching through the forum but i cant find anything i want. So i just wanna ask, which headphones would be suitable for listening to kpop? I want something that can really bring out the music in kpop. I was thinking of srh440? not sure if its a good choice, any suggestions?
oh and my budget is anything below $150.Thanks.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 40
Wow...I must be getting old. I don't know what the hell kpop is.

Sighs, shakes his head, and pours himself a drink...

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 40
K-Pop = Korean Pop. Mix of Dance/bubblegum pop, and ballads.

For your price range, out of everything that I've tried, I feel that the ES7 works the best. ESW10JPN do them the best by far out of my gear, but they're well out of your range I'm afraid.
redface.gif
I've had the chance to try out SRH440 recently, and while they're good overall, I feel that they're not the best for K-pop... you want something little more forward and lively like the ES7.

This coming from a big SNSD, Kara, 2NE1, WG, 2pm/am, etc. fan, for your reference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 40
I never thought I'd see the day a Kpop thread popped up here. I don't listen to it that often, but I suppose beyers would suit the genre overall. Last I recall most of the genre was of the Britney Spears/Justin Timberlake type. I'm not sure if it's evolved to something less... poppy.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never thought I'd see the day a Kpop thread popped up here. I don't listen to it that often, but I suppose beyers would suit the genre overall. Last I recall most of the genre was of the Britney Spears/Justin Timberlake type. I'm not sure if it's evolved to something less... poppy.

There's been bit more of a wave of more upbeat dance (BEG, 2NE1) as well as ballads (2am) as of late. But yeah, a lot of the genre is still bubblegum/teeny-bopper pop

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 40
The MS1's and Grado SR-80s seem to be the type of phone that would fit kpop. Only listened to the grado's though.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Dawk20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MS1's and Grado SR-80s seem to be the type of phone that would fit kpop. Only listened to the grado's though.

I'd tread carefully with Grados for this particular genre, especially with songs that have female vocals. K-pop female vocals can be very peaky at top and as we all know Grados all have some upper-mid/lower treble boost, so they may be too much in combination (I find it slightly hard on my ears to listen to it with my RS1, especially when it has bowl pads). All depends on how tolerant people are to peaks in this region, though.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 40
you'll want something bright, aggressive, and fast. SA5000 would be ideal, grados are good too

Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol kpop..i didn't know anyone besides teenage girls even listen to it

you forgot asians

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 40
I'll turn on some of my old kpop and wonder girls when I get home on my PS1s and post impressions. I have a feeling the vocals are going to make my drums bleed profusely. Just the thought of listening to finkl or ses sends a chill down my spine. :wink:

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol kpop..i didn't know anyone besides teenage girls even listen to it

i know a number of koreeaboos that listen to it. <_<

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll turn on some of my old kpop and wonder girls when I get home on my PS1s and post impressions. I have a feeling the vocals are going to make my drums bleed profusely. Just the thought of listening to finkl or ses sends a chill down my spine. :wink:

Haha, it'll be like late 90's for you again.

BTW, Hyori is still active in the music scene... new album soon, apparently. She's aged very well if I do say myself.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 40
This isn't a full write-up by any means. These are just minor impressions.

Source: Mac Pro to a Benchmark DAC-1 USB
Amp: RSA Apache
Headphones: Grado PS1

The system that I have now, I've owned for a few weeks, I've done my best to let the amp burn-in, as it's the newest component in the chain. I've hit the 50 hour mark, the bass has really begun to open up, but I don't think I've hit the full-potential as of yet. I've only had limited experience with other Grados (SR-125 and another PS1). The music is encoded in MP3, VBR...

Impression #1: FinKL 1
Listening to track 4 + 6 brings back memories of high school. This was 90's-2000 kpop at its finest. I'm not going to go into details about the individual tracks. If you've listened to FinKL 1-3 the voices haven't changed all that much between the albums. You know exactly who can sing and who can't. As is usual of kpop of this era, it's full of electronic beats and odd synth effects which serve to distract the listener from the vocals (I think this was done purposely because most of the talents were chosen for looks rather than their ability to perform.) If you choose a headphone with flubby bass, it would only serve to further distract you from the music, and on the PS1 I don't experience that. Instead I'm left with every reason why I stopped listening to kpop. Now I'm not experienced in the Grado house sound, since I've had limited experience. If someone else can chime in to let me know if the PS1 accurately portrays that sound, please do. My impressions are limited to this headphone.

Impression #2: Koyote 2
Track 2, I forget the name, I do remember pretty much every korean singing this song in noraebang though. Again, this song came from the same era, so it's again full of the synth effects, same fast-moving beats that made it a staple at nearly all korean dance clubs. On the PS1, I'm experiencing the same issue I had with FinKL. Too much detail = too many distractions, although at least the singers in this group had some talent in the vocal department.

Impression #3: Jinusean 2
Ok, I remember the name of this song, it's How Deep is Your Love. Yeah, they sampled from the Bee Gees song. I think this song was very enjoyable on the PS1. The beats without the overuse of synthetic instruments made the song flow much better, with not so many background distractions to take away from Jinu's smooth voice and Sean's rapping. The duet meshes well, even with the corny sound effects.

Recommendation: If the PS1 is the epitome of the Grado sound, I would not recommend it to listen to kpop. There is just way too much synth, the females sound like screeching chalkboards, and with all the distracting sound bites, you have a tough time focusing on the music to really enjoy it. Back in high school I played my kpop from a pair of Sony G72s, and I think the reason why I enjoyed the music (wasn't because I didn't have an immature perception of music,) it was because the G72's flubby bass masked all the problems present in Korean pop music present. I suppose I might've had a better experience listening to the above with my HD650s, as it rolls off the highs. But I think I'll let this experience stay in the past as a fond memory.

Conclusion: I remember watching shows like Airwolf and MacGyver when I was kid. I thought they were super cool with Airwolf's crazy rocket launchers and turbo boosters, and MacGyver's ingenuity to use a garden hose and some netto to make an ant repellant suit. However nowadays, it just doesn't seem the same. Maybe it's lost its coolness, its luster, its wow-factor. I suppose the same with kpop. I haven't listened to korean pop music in 10 years, and turning it back on, I just didn't have the same head-bopping, booty-shaking experience I did before. The PS1s certainly exposed the weaknesses of the genre, usually masked by the equipment that most kids used to listen to their music. I spoke to my friends and my roommate regarding the direction of korean pop, and they all tell me to give new kpop a try. Well, if it's the same direction that old jazz went with smooth jazz, I'll take a pass and turn on Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus and let the good times roll.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by WGkeon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi a newbie here, i was searching through the forum but i cant find anything i want. So i just wanna ask, which headphones would be suitable for listening to kpop? I want something that can really bring out the music in kpop. I was thinking of srh440? not sure if its a good choice, any suggestions?
oh and my budget is anything below $150.Thanks.

I listen to kpop, krock, jpop, jrock and most western music (most american) and there's nothing different between the 3 "genre" when it comes listening via headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back