Headphones/Headphone Amp for Studio Use
Dec 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wcamspacher

New Head-Fier
Hola,

I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones and/or headphones amp for music production.  Specifically, I'd like to do some recording and mixing with them--no mastering--to turn out some great 60s/70s-like psychedelia. I have about $300 to spend total. At the moment, I'm using some old Sennheiser HD280pros and an old Marantz 2270 receiving a signal from an iMac. As this is production, I'd love to have the best balance possible.

For reference, I think the HD280s are way too light on bass. I also had some Beyerdynamic 770s, and I felt they were too bassy. Hopefully that gives some good footing to the situation.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 8
The K240 DF is a great headphone. Well balanced and good tonality. It was made to have a flat frequncy response. You can run it out of that receiver. They are out of production though. In production, i dont know, cause i dont use studio type headphones. You dont need a headphone amp if you have that receiver, but you probably should get an outboard digital to analog converter. That will make a big difference.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks. I was looking at the Denon D2000 originally and thought they sounded a bit too bassy. You think the AKG K240 DF is a better bet, though? Since they're discontinued, where should I look for them?

Also, is this an acceptable convertor: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Analog-Converter/dp/B0013LWK3A ?

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 8
I second the 240DF recommendation, but they're not always easy to come by. They turn up pretty regularly on ebay for well under $100. They might not give you the bass you like though, so you could look for the k240M (240 Monitor) which is very common on ebay and also a solid choice. You can find a set for sale just about any day of the week. Lot's of folks swear by them for studio use. In fact they were possibly the most popular studio phone ever 'back in the days'. Unfortunately the geniuses at AKG decided to discontinue them along with the DF. I use the emu 0404 usb which you can find well under $200 on ebay and elsewhere...great audio interface if you're on a budget. There are also some good cheaper options from tascam I think.

Dec 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I second the 240DF recommendation, but they're not always easy to come by. They turn up pretty regularly on ebay for well under $100. They might not give you the bass you like though, so you could look for the k240M (240 Monitor) which is very common on ebay and also a solid choice. You can find a set for sale just about any day of the week. Lot's of folks swear by them for studio use. In fact they were possibly the most popular studio phone ever 'back in the days'. Unfortunately the geniuses at AKG decided to discontinue them along with the DF. I use the emu 0404 usb which you can find well under $200 on ebay and elsewhere...great audio interface if you're on a budget. There are also some good cheaper options from tascam I think.

Two weeks ago a K240-DF is gone on ebay.fr (france) for 22.5 € :) but i already have an AKG K340 and i try to "Limit" me to only one vintage model, because i'm "affraid for my wallet" lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back