Headphones for use with iPhone
Feb 15, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #32 of 42
I got my gifts today and I've decided to go with the Shures. Not necessarily for SQ since I haven't had a chance to really listen to either of them but because the Senns come with a standard 1/4" jack with an adapter for 1/8" jacks. The Shures go the other way. I prefer to leave my adapters at home with my stereo equipment than to have to worry about having it with me to listen on my iPhone. 

But the Senns were more comfortable and didn't look nearly as goofy. :)

I'm listening to My Bloody Valentine's Loveless (320 AAC from FLAC) and enjoying the hell out of it. :) What's the best way to burn these bad boys in?

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #34 of 42

Quote:
I got my gifts today and I've decided to go with the Shures. Not necessarily for SQ since I haven't had a chance to really listen to either of them but because the Senns come with a standard 1/4" jack with an adapter for 1/8" jacks. The Shures go the other way. I prefer to leave my adapters at home with my stereo equipment than to have to worry about having it with me to listen on my iPhone. 

But the Senns were more comfortable and didn't look nearly as goofy. :)

I'm listening to My Bloody Valentine's Loveless (320 AAC from FLAC) and enjoying the hell out of it. :) What's the best way to burn these bad boys in?

There are a few ways to burn-in headphones.  One way is to simply use them and they'll brun through everyday use, or if you want to speed up the process a bit, leave your headphones with music playing through them for 24 to 48 hours straight.  If you decide to go with the latter just make sure that they're at a volume only slightly higher than what would be a listenable volume for you.

Feb 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #35 of 42

Quote:
m50 is the best for iphone. but you need 200 hours of burn in.

I realize that you've become quite a fan of the M50s, but don't you think you're recommending them a bit too much?  There are other very capable headphones in the M50's price range that are just as good. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #37 of 42
These cans are amazing. I've got 2 kids who are supposed to be asleep. I'm listening to an album I've heard a hundred times before and I've frequently got to pull them off because I swear I can hear my kids walking around upstairs only to realize it's the pedals on the piano I'm listening to.

But damn, they look goofy!

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #39 of 42
Yes I agree. You keep on recommending the M50's even when on the first page the OP states he likes the sound and feel of the 840's more. The M50's are not the best on all fronts at that price range, I had to return mine. You say 200 hours of burn in?? Where in the world did you hear that? 200 hours is overkill by about 150 hours for the M50.

Quote:
I realize that you've become quite a fan of the M50s, but don't you think you're recommending them a bit too much?  There are other very capable headphones in the M50's price range that are just as good. 

Quote:
m50 is the best for iphone. but you need 200 hours of burn in.

Feb 17, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #40 of 42

Dude. there's sudden change of sound around 200. trust me on that. I burn my m50 day and night out. 
Quote:
Yes I agree. You keep on recommending the M50's even when on the first page the OP states he likes the sound and feel of the 840's more. The M50's are not the best on all fronts at that price range, I had to return mine. You say 200 hours of burn in?? Where in the world did you hear that? 200 hours is overkill by about 150 hours for the M50.

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #42 of 42
I was making plans today to hit a couple of record stores to find some new music. At first, I was excited about listening to new tunes and walking around downtown for a little while on this nice early spring weather we've been having with my new cans. And then I realized that there's no way I could do that comfortably in the Shures. They're just too big. I know that I said that portability wasn't a concern, but when I felt frustrated at not being able to take my new toys with me, I realized that portability was a concern. I promptly drove out to Guitar Center and without even hardly haggling, I got a pair of the M50's for $109. He sold me the replacement plan thing, too, but I'm going to return that part since I got a 3 year Squaretrade warranty for $17. 

Anyway, I'll take the slightly colored audio of the M50 - definitely a noticeable sound difference from the Shure - for the slight price difference and much increased portability. Plus, after wearing them for a few hours today, I realize they fit my head better. Thanks for listening/reading/providing input. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back