Headphones for use with iPhone
Jan 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

torifile

500+ Head-Fier
I started out my search thinking I'd want some closed cans for use around the house but the more I read, the more I realized that I was really limiting my options given my limited budget and the audio source I'd be using - about $200 and my iPhone (audio encoded as either ALC or 256k AAC). So I broadened my search to include open cans. 

For closed, I think my number one choice is the Shure SRH840. In my pricepoint and has good reviews.

For open, things get a lot more complicated. I've read about the Sennheiser HD595, the ATH M50 and the AKG 700. The more I read, the more confused I get. 

Typical music will include:
- Wilco
- Radiohead
- My Bloody Valentine
- some Tori Amos
- some hip hop, mostly the Roots and Talib Kweli

The only stuff I won't really listen to is classical and country, though. Like I said, my audio source will primarily be my iPhone since that's where all my music lives and I don't have a good home setup (yet!). As such, I'd like to not need to amp the headphones. I've already got a pair of Klipsch s4i's, Senn HD238 and a pair of Grado SR80's in need of recabling. Any thoughts?

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 42
ATH-M50's are closed. The AKG 70X series isn't really good for your tastes, and need amping.

The problem with taking open cans out and about with an iPhone is that they leak sound and offer zero isolation. Closed seems best for you. Good call on the SRH840 and possibly the M50. 840's have less bass punch but more detail/clarity. That's the main difference.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 42
So, given my propensity to move quickly through my gadgets, resale value is a more important consideration than actual upfront cost. Which of those 2 options would do better when I go to sell them used? I know that much depends on condition, but if they are both in equivalent shape, which would be easier to sell for a reasonable %age of the initial cost?

I'm personally leaning towards the Shure's, if only because I can get them from Amazon. There are no local stores that sell mid-to-high end headphones so I need a place I know won't give me a hard time returning them if I don't like them. Seems as though the M50's are out of stock at Amazon. Plus, I know that I want more detail - what prompted this search was my realization I was probably missing half of the detail on some of my favorite tracks. I'm going to have to re-encode a bunch of my stuff, but it'll be ripped ALC so I won't have to go to the trouble of pulling out the CDs if I need to go to a different format in the future. 

A follow-up question: which of these would do better with a stand-alone setup? Like I said, I'm portable now, but I foresee myself getting a better listening situation at home once my kids are a little older and I'd like to start with the best option for those 2 purposes.

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 42
I'll be using them while on-the-go, sure, but I won't be as concerned with audio quality, etc, while mobile. I've also got a pair of pretty decent (not great but passable) IEMs with an inline mic, so I think I'm ok on that front. I plan on using these particular cans, whichever they end up being, while mostly stationary, either at home or in the office. The plan is eventually to have a better listening setup at home so these cans will serve that purpose, as well. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 42

Quote:
Quote:
I own the M50s and they were driven perfectly fine through my iPhone if that helps.

Same here... Also, if you'll be using your iPhone, does that mean you'll use it on the move? because if you want something portable you might want to look into IEMs.

[size=medium]
That does help. If my goal is to get more confused! :wink: 

Do you need that Fiio amp or do they work well enough without them? I think my local Guitar Center has the Shures in stock. I plan on swinging by there later to see what other decent headphones they've got for me to try on. I know they won't be burned in, but I can at least see how comfortable they are. 
[/size]

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I own the M50s and they were driven perfectly fine through my iPhone if that helps.

Same here... Also, if you'll be using your iPhone, does that mean you'll use it on the move? because if you want something portable you might want to look into IEMs.

[size=medium]
That does help. If my goal is to get more confused! :wink: 

Do you need that Fiio amp or do they work well enough without them? I think my local Guitar Center has the Shures in stock. I plan on swinging by there later to see what other decent headphones they've got for me to try on. I know they won't be burned in, but I can at least see how comfortable they are. 
[/size]

With the M50s at least, an amp is not necessary, as any DAC should be able to drive them just fine... Also, the Shures have been reported to be pretty heavy and uncomfortable, but I haven't actually tried them myself.

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 42
To my surprise, I was able to try both the 840's and M50's at the store today. I preferred both the feel and sound of the 840s. Unfortunately I did not prefer the price. :D Currently looking for the best price on them. Thanks for the feedback, all! More opinions are still appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back