Headphones for Rock/Metal around $200 dollars
Sep 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PomPWNius

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I currently own Sennheiser HD 25 1-ii's. I pretty much only listen to stuff like Melodic Death Metal, and Folk Metal, so I need good mids and highs. While I love the Hd 25's for listening to metal music, I would like something with much better soundstage. I have tried Grado's and I honestly dont like them that much. Another thing I dont like about my Hd 25's is that they are very uncomfortable to wear for a while. They really squeeze my head and my left ear turns red (but not my right for some reason lol). Anyways, I want something around 200, can be open or closed, full sized or portable, earbuds or headphones whatever! All I want is something with strong mids, a very large soundstage, and good comfort. Feel free to mention things that fit my sound requirements, but not the comfort stuff though, if its good enough im willing to trade sound for comfort. Thanks!

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 4
You could expand you're budget a bit and get the Hifiman HE300. I honestly don't know much about it, but hifiman's higher end models are considered excellent and are really popular (HE400, HE500, and HE6). You could do a little research and see if the HE300 would be good for you. Hope this helps.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hi I currently own Sennheiser HD 25 1-ii's. I pretty much only listen to stuff like Melodic Death Metal, and Folk Metal, so I need good mids and highs. While I love the Hd 25's for listening to metal music, I would like something with much better soundstage. I have tried Grado's and I honestly dont like them that much. Another thing I dont like about my Hd 25's is that they are very uncomfortable to wear for a while. They really squeeze my head and my left ear turns red (but not my right for some reason lol). Anyways, I want something around 200, can be open or closed, full sized or portable, earbuds or headphones whatever! All I want is something with strong mids, a very large soundstage, and good comfort. Feel free to mention things that fit my sound requirements, but not the comfort stuff though, if its good enough im willing to trade sound for comfort. Thanks!

If you don't mind used, the HD580 fits most of your requirements including comfort. I came from the SR225 and I'm using HD600 now. Not a drastic shift in sound signature, but the Sennheiser has

1) less of the impact on the notes' attack;
2) a bit less treble but the better balance makes it seem more detailed because there's no narrower range grabbing your attention more than the others

Do note though that depending on the source these cans might need better amplification, however during black outs I've used my HD600 with a CMOY running off a single 9v battery and it was good enough. Those dual 9V CMOYs on eBay are relatively cheap and are bound to do well driving them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back